Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cleanliness DOES Matter        (Topic#1585667)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

My DD made a huge mess in my scrapbook room! Huge!
And I was really upset, but I refused to clean it because I didn't make the mess. I just thought "F" it, I'll work around it. Well I have noticed that the layouts I have made since the "mess" was created are just not up to my usual standards, furthermore, they weren't coming together as effortlessly as they usually do. Then I figured out why, I can't work in a mess!
So I cleaned it up! Including wiping everything down w/ clorox wipes. It took time away from my "scrappy-time" but I just could not take it anymore!

How 'bout you? Must it be clean in order for you to be productive?

And for those who thought, "Why doesn't she make her DD clean it?"
Here's my answer:
It would take less time to clean it than to nag her to clean it plus, at 11 years old, her idea of clean is no where near as "clean" as mine. I did scold her though and told her if she did it again no more going into my scrap room!!

Edited by Doreena on 03-02-13 01:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to Doreena

I'm actually a little more creative when my space is messy--especially if it's messy from doing lots of LOs (not just messy "because"). I tend to use up more scraps and different pieces of PP when it's still sitting out next to me--but if it was all put away I wouldn't go searching for those scraps...and just make more instead!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to HuskerMom98

I see the logic in that...

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Doreena

DUST is an issue, from distressing and using punches and embossing. I have a fear of glitter too. I put away stuff as I get done with it. I need to vacuum in there now before I start a new LO.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to CrimsonMama

I hate glitter! I used it once and it was EVERYWHERE! Never again. LOL!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet

I have to clean up after every layout - put it all away, unless I am doing a group of similar layouts. Just need to start fresh and organized for each one.

For example, right now I am working on about 8 pages from one event. So I have certain products and tools pulled out that might work for all of them. But after a certain layout is done, I get rid of trash, neatly stack those supplies and then start the next.

Yep, neat freak. And proud of it. :-)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

Cluttered space = a cluttered mind.

For me, a clean, organized space = a fresh, crisp creative brain & thought-process.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Cluttered space = a cluttered mind.

For me, a clean, organized space =
a fresh, crisp creative brain & thought process.

Exactly! I few crowded and, in a weird way, rushed when I have a mess!

I think the rushed feeling comes from knowing I will have to make time to clean after.
Obviously I will have to always clean after because I will always make a slight mess, but a slight mess on top of another mess, big or small, stresses me out!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 03-02-13 03:20 PM
In response to Doreena

I would get so much done so much faster if I would put stuff back as I was done using it! I spend so much time looking for that ruler I just had it's crazy. It goes right there in the MM carousel for crying out loud!!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 03-02-13 03:22 PM
In response to scrapsweet

• scrapsweet Said:
I have to clean up after every layout - put it all away, unless I am doing a group of similar layouts. Just need to start fresh and organized for each one.

For example, right now I am working on about 8 pages from one event. So I have certain products and tools pulled out that might work for all of them. But after a certain layout is done, I get rid of trash, neatly stack those supplies and then start the next.

Yep, neat freak. And proud of it. :-)

Oh my gosh you sound like me!! I have 8 pages spread out on my desk right now too!! I have to know exactly how many pages it will take to do the event exactly what pictures will go on what page and where they will be placed before I can start!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-02-13 04:18 PM
In response to KimKV

I'm very back and forth on this. I don't have a dedicated space... I scrap in my living room on 4 large folding tables. I take up ALL of them with my scrapcrap. I've been working on my wedding album for like a year so the layouts are all very similar colors and I have all those papers and embellies out on one table. I will work on pages as I have inspiration. Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's 2-4 at once. But whenever I hit a good stopping point, like last night when I finally finished several pages I was working on, I clean everything up and get all the tables cleared off except the one where all my stuff stays parked. Then I do it all over again. I like to clean periodically but not every night because then I'd spend more time cleaning than I do actually scrapping.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I have two tables for my scrap stuff.

THe ones I'm actively working with (4 pages) are always on the table in my scraproom where I'm always working on them and getting them matched with papers and designing the layouts and then packing them for crops after I've planned my sketches on who I want them to look.

The big marble in my table holds 12 pages laid out. When I finish the 4 on my scrap table in my scraproom I will get the next for from the big table and move all the others up so they will stay in order. Then I take 4 more from the stack (113 pages right now) that are in line and put them on the bottom of the ones spread out on the living room table.

The ones in the living room are all on white 12 x 12 junky cardstock (fillers from page protectors or inside covers from stack packs). WHen they come in here 4 at a time I will match the photos and memorbilia to cardstock, paper and add embellies and journaling.

When I finish the 4 on my scrapdesk I clean up pretty well before I bring the next 4 in.

------

Sometimes it really bothers me cleaning up after my husband but he folds all the laundry, does all the dishes and even makes the bed almost every day. He does so much for me, that if I have to clean up after him, I will do it. Plus he works and spoils me constantly - gives me plenty of spending money for craft stuff. I hate it when he makes a mess but with all he does for me I can't complain. He's 64 years old - he isn't going to change.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Henri Jean

Not just clean, but ultra organized too. I clean up after a layout or two also. My scraps from each layout are usually cut into 2 x 12's or 4 x 6's before I move on. Weird, but it makes me happy.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to 950nancy

Glad it's not just me!

And Henri Jean - I would love to see a scraproom vid from you, esp showing this methodology!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrapsweet

eh, I'd LIKE to be more organized,,,,,,,emphatica lly, I am not

and if I were you, I'd make the child do some other form of cleaning for the time it took you to clean her mess up

I have used that method pretty successfully over the years,,,

the nerve, messing up your scrappy space (I'm just kidding, btw!)

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to 950nancy

I'm afraid I'm one of those that their room always looks like a tornado went through it. I have not figured out how to scrap or work in an organized area.

Most of the time I have a mess every where!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Sneezy1956

I can't seem to get done organizing.... I keep getting distracted with scrapping!! Yes, I make a mess but try to clean up between layouts.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to wilbur

All of my stuff is "to hand". It isn't pretty. I don't have decorated items around, or co-ordinated storage units, or pretty tools. It's just shelves, all my tools out and ready, and lots of work in progress. The desk part is clear unless I'm working on something.

My scraps go in an office tray: colours at the top and whites underneath. When the tray gets top heavy just before (or once, after) I get buried beneath a sliding deluge, I go through it and put all the scraps in my concertina folder.

Yes, I like to be able to find my things before I start working, but I'm not anal about it being perfect.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

Doreena - I mis-read your original post. I thought that it was your husband that made the mess in your scrap room.

You daughter - I don't have a daughter so I can't relate. I have two grown boys and they know they don't touch my stuff so I have no problem.

My husband will look for my scissors or something and leave a mess and I clean it up. He does too much around the house for me not to clean it up. If he makes a sandwich the bread is left on the counter open and the knife is next to it - peanut butter and jelly are on the counter - usually opened and the cabinet doors are open. I take 1 minute, clean it all up and go on my way.

He does do all the dishes so if the knife makes it the sink he will wash it the next time he passes by the sink. But if its on the counter he won't touch it.

Islandscrapper1
Tenant
Islandscrapper1
In response to Henri Jean

I have a mess while I am doing a layout, I am very slow, but after each layout, everything goes back in its place and then I start again. Depending on how quickly I start a new one, it might be tidy for awhile lol.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics