Username Post: Baby Shower Invitation Etiquette        (Topic#1585743)
*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*

I am hosting a baby shower for my friend, and I need some advice as far as wording on the invitations. She is going to register at Target, but she isn't going to register for clothes or personal items like baby wipes, diapers, lotion, etc.; however, she doesn't want to exclude those items as gifts. She suggested having something like this on the invitations: Mom is registered at Target; she also welcomes your choice of clothing in any size, diapers, wipes, and other baby care items. Is this ok, and does it make sense?

Thanks!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to *jesse*

I wouldn't add that. People buy those items any way. And if she gets gift cards, your friend can buy that stuff later. You may want to check with the store because usually items on a registry but not purchased go on sale for the registrant.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to *jesse*

Why would she not register for them if she'd like them as gifts? Then people will know what brand she'd prefer. Although diapers can be tricky. She may not want too many of the same brand because they all fit different, and what brand fits well and works on one baby isn't necessarily the brand that works for the next.

People are going to buy clothes and blankets and "cute stuff" anyway, even without registering for those. I'd be surprised if she didn't get mostly clothes and blankets and very little of the other things on her registry, anyway.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to angie girl

when she registers she should get a packet with little registry cards to put in the invitations. you put thelittle card in the invitation. Do not put anything in the invitation as far as buying baby items because people are going to go outside of her registry and buy diapers, wipes, bottles, etc. But if she wants a specific type (playtex bottles vs dr. browns) then she needs to put those on her registry.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Just G

She doesn't want to register for those items because she knows people will get whatever their preference is, and she's ok with that. She's just afraid of not getting those things... neither one of us has any experience with baby showers, so we're both pretty clueless about how to handle some things!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to *jesse*

Us tell her to put bottles and diapers on there at least. Then she'll get the brand she prefers. I agree with what you just said about clothes...people will just buy what they prefer. But there are so many different bottles and diapers that people will be clueless on what brand to buy if she doesn't specify. Which is ok for diapers, because then she can try different brands to see how they work out, but with bottles, not such a good plan.

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to angie girl

I am personally not a register person. I did it...but only because some people just can't seem to shop without it..and because my baby was coming home at almost 10m old so it was a bit trickier than a newborn..but I personally feel like it is saying (or can be saying) "get this or nothing at all." I wanted people to be open to getting whatever!

Maybe list something like this:
The nursery theme and colors are x. For those who wish to use it, Mommy has registered at Target, but she wants you to feel free not to go by the registry as well!

Edited by Mercy4Free on 03-05-13 07:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Lamoo12

• Lamoo12 Said:
I wouldn't add that. People buy those items any way. And if she gets gift cards, your friend can buy that stuff later. You may want to check with the store because usually items on a registry but not purchased go on sale for the registrant.

I registered for diapers and wipes and stuff when I registered at Target, just BECAUSE you get those unsold items at a discount (10% I think it was), and I knew I was going to need more diapers anyway! I actually registered for all sorts of sizes and brands of diapers.

Diva
In response to scraprabbit

I will stay safe with some of the comments here, but I will not put what your friend suggested.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks for the help... I discussed this with her and she agreed to just put registered at Target and leave it at that. I'm just thankful that she's concerned with her guest's feelings and will be thankful for whatever they choose to give her!

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to *jesse*

She really should register for the things she wants/needs, even diapers- how else will people know what she prefers? A friend of mine just had her second boy, and I asked what brand of diapers she prefers b/c I know some brands are better for boys than others (she likes Huggies, btw). If she gets too many newborn diapers, she can always exchange them for a larger size.

Not all diapers, bottles, clothes, etc are created equal, so she really should put what she wants on the registry. I do try to get what is on the registry, but if it's all big expensive things and no smaller things (clothes, diapers, blankets, etc), then I have to go with something I can afford, even if it's not on the list.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to scrappinmac

Lori, have you been on goodreads today? I have tried for hours and it keeps saying it doesn't exist!

Diva
In response to 2xblessed

Glad to hear things are resolved.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics