Username Post: copic paper ink questions        (Topic#1585771)
anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I am getting my copics. :):) I know you need special paper for them...does that paper go into the printer for digi stamps ? When I use regular stamps, which ink should I use?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to anda11

I don't use special paper for mine, just regular office card, either 200 or 250gsm. I use it for digi stamping, and for stamping with ink. Make sure with both that you heat set or leave overnight to dry properly before colouring with Copics, otherwise you may get smudging of the stamped/printed lines.

Oh and put something underneath the card to protect your work-surface, because alcohol inks can soak through and they don't come off tables easily!

I use Versafine ink to stamp my images.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to RedSquirrel

I use regular Correspondence cards (blank white card sized card) and also DCWV cardstocks. I stamp with Memento Tuxedo Black. On both I have no problem to start colouring straight away. I stamp, wait 30 seconds for it to dry and start colouring. As for digi stamps, I wouldnt know as I dont really like that much. I've tried it but the ink keeps running so I stopped using those. With the DCWV cardstock you need patience tho, cant fill up the cardstock too much with the copic inks, you brush the copic on and leave it. Not layer on layer on layer of ink. Otherwise it will bleed into the papers to the sides. I've done it a couple of times and first few times I got it totally wrong but after I knew what the problem was, it went great It takes practise tho to work with Copics.

Did you know, lots of professional Comic artists use Copics to colour their comics??

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to TheCharmedOne

And anime and cartoon animators.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to RedSquirrel

I'm a paper snob when it comes to my copics. A couple of copic instructors told me that the cheaper papers will soak up your ink, causing you to use more. Plus, they tend to bleed more, need drying time, etc. I also like how the blending of the ink works on copic paper.

I use Copic Xpress it paper that I get from Oozak. If you register for the site, it's even cheaper than the price shown. I stamp with Memento ink and can color right away. No bleeding, no heat setting. I also do digi images. I just print them directly onto my copic paper. I usually let it sit for a few minutes. Again, no need for me to heat set, but I do let it sit to dry because printer ink can take some time for that. Usually, less than 3 minutes, though. HTH!!!

Some people prefer to use:
Gina K
Neenah
and other brands of paper that are escaping my brain right now.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

Another thing to think about:
the type of ink you use is important, because you don't want to mess up your marker nibs and have to replace them.

I have used Versafine. It works well when heat set, if I remember correctly. I prefer Memento. Don't ever use Staz On with your copics. I heard that from a copic instructor as she gave the class a very stern face. LOL

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

Oh, yeah. Another kind of paper that I have tried and liked:
cryogen

It has a subtle sparkle; it is not bright white.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-05-13 08:57 AM

I love love love Cryogen White. Neenah Solar is great if you want a clean bright white, but it's a little intense for my taste.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to stick

I use cryogen almost exclusively any more it's one of the best for not sucking your pens dry. I know some of the other will really suck them dry and cryogen will go through your printer. I set my printer on photo paper and print on draft and that way the ink will dry and you can color without any problem.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics