Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapbooks at Yard Sells!???!!!        (Topic#1585813)
t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

I was listening to an earlier edition of a scrapbook podcast and someone had written in that they would go to yard sells. On several occasions, they found completed scrapbooks (pictures and all) for sale. Has anyone ever run across this? It's so sad to me.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to t-scraps

No, never. That is sad!!! It's like when you find family photos thrown in a box at a yard sale or flea market. I understand that some people don't find that stuff to be interesting or worth keeping, but I could never consider tossing out photos of my ancestors. In fact, I wish I had more!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to t-scraps

I've never run across that, but I can see that happening at an estate sale, or even at a yard sale when someone's been doing some serious uncluttering - especially if it was an album they received as a gift and never asked for in the first place (which is part of why I'm very careful to make albums and papercrafting gifts for only a small select handful of people - I do not want to add to anyone's clutter with unwanted sentimental "stuff").

What scrapbook podcast was this? I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

I haven't seen something like that. Not only sad, but invasion of privacy.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
I've never run across that, but I can see that happening at an estate sale, or even at a yard sale when someone's been doing some serious uncluttering - especially if it was an album they received as a gift and never asked for in the first place (which is part of why I'm very careful to make albums and papercrafting gifts for only a small select handful of people - I do not want to add to anyone's clutter with unwanted sentimental "stuff").

What scrapbook podcast was this? I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to.

Paperclipping Roundtable

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to t-scraps

Oh, okay, I'm working through old episodes of that too (though I'm skipping the ones where the overall topic doesn't interest me).

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to t-scraps

Yes, I heard that podcast some time ago....

I thought it was sad at the time. I can see maybe, not wanting the scrapbook, but I would think they would at least take the pictures out!
There was also someone who wrote in about how her husband and sons would throw away her books once she was gone.....
I don't believe they actually would, but why would you say something like that??
I don't know if my son will want ALL my scrapbooks but I'm sure he'll keep a couple of them with his favourite memories....

Alison

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kiyawinn

My mom makes a lot of family history scrapbooks, in conjunction with her genealogy stuff - and by family history I mean going back to people I don't remember and maybe even people she doesn't remember - and she's instructed me and my siblings that if we don't want those albums, we're to give them to the local historical society.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

• bayamonesa1 Said:

How would be this be an invasion of privacy?

I bought a camera at a garage sale that had undeveloped film in it. I got it developed. It was weird to have some other family's photos.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • bayamonesa1 Said:

I bought a camera at a garage sale that had undeveloped film in it. I got it developed. It was weird to have some other family's photos.

I suppose Esa means for the photos in the albums of people still living who had not given permission for their photos to be sold. I know we have no control over any photos of ourselves that have been taken by other people, but the thought of them being sold to strangers is still unsettling. I'm not sure it's exactly invasion of privacy though.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • bayamonesa1 Said:

I suppose Esa means for the photos in the albums of people still living who had not given permission for their photos to be sold. I know we have no control over any photos of ourselves that have been taken by other people, but the thought of them being sold to strangers is still unsettling. I'm not sure it's exactly invasion of privacy though.

Well, okay sure.

With digital camera phones, internet, and social media these days, printed photos of me being sold to strangers is the LEAST of my worries.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • bayamonesa1 Said:

Well, okay sure.

With digital camera phones, internet, and social media these days, printed photos of me being sold to strangers is the LEAST of my worries.

True, but internet stuff doesn't tend to include personal info. Or not if people are sensible. What if personal info about the people had been included in the journalling? the more I think about that, the more freaked out I get!

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to t-scraps

When I have been at thrift stores I have often noticed actual photos in frames being sold. That made me think of albums so I "warned" my 2 sons..."My scrapbooks had better not end up on a thrift store shelf some day!!" Now I will need to warn them about garage sales too-LOL!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vintageivy

I see family heirloom vintage scrapbooks in antique mall on occasion. I always wondered who would buy another families scrapbooks and photos.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
I see family heirloom vintage scrapbooks in antique mall on occasion. I always wondered who would buy another families scrapbooks and photos.

This!!!

I mean why would you want other people's pictures unless they are Famous??

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 03-07-13 06:28 AM
In response to Doreena

I've seen frames with photos in them for sale before at Thift Shops too! I've never seen a completed scrapbook with pics though. I have seen handmade ones without pics at yards sales and consignment sales.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to IzzyB

A couple of years ago, my friend's sister was at the Salvation Army in a nearby town. She was looking at picture albums, and one she picked up had pictures in it... upon closer inspection, they were pictures of me and some of my other friends! We figured out that a friend of mine (who I went through a spell of not being friends with) must have donated it. She convinced the store to let her take the pictures, and she gave them to me.

As far as the vintage photos, there are people who collect them. I actually like looking at them because it's interesting looking at the clothing and styles of the past, even if I don't know the people.

nadiasmom
Resident
nadiasmom
In response to *jesse*

A friend of mine had a relative or something THROW AWAY THE PHOTO ALBUMS they had inherited from a distant relative. Crazy but true....At least the Salvation Army was one step up from the garbage.

One can only hope a couple generations from now my relatives will at least make a digital copy of my work....I hope......

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to nadiasmom

I've never seen that, but it hurts me to think that people would sell scrapbooks at a yard sale. I've made scrapbooks for friends and if I ever found out that they sold them for 50 cents to a total stranger there would be problems.

Besides, scrapbooks are generally meaningless to people who aren't in them or have a relationship to people in them. It seems like such a weird thing to sell.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Vintageivy

• Vintageivy Said:
When I have been at thrift stores I have often noticed actual photos in frames being sold. That made me think of albums so I "warned" my 2 sons..."My scrapbooks had better not end up on a thrift store shelf some day!!" Now I will need to warn them about garage sales too-LOL!

I've not seen scrapbooks but whole photo albums: yes. And we also see old photos (1930-50's) in frames in antique shops.

I told my kids if they donate my photos/scrapbooks or sell them I'll come back to haunt them...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics