Username Post: Poll        (Topic#1585875)
Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

If you KNOW the answer, please don't participate. Please don't post links.

Over the past 7 years, has the number of international adoptions (coming to the US)
Increased
Decreased
Remained relatively constant
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 03-08-13 07:26 PM to 03-15-13 07:26 PM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Mercy4Free

Voted. My thoughts are increased. I know international adoption is rather a long process, but I think that integrated families have become more commonplace.

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to t-scraps

Thanks for responding!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

What was the correct answer?

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to scraprabbit

will post info tonightw#W

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

The answer is DECREASED....about four fold!

In 2004, 22,734 children were internationally adopted INTO the United States. Over the last 7 years, the number has steadily dropped and was 8,668.

This is NOT for a lack of potential adoptive families and it is NOT for a lack of children (there are an estimated 147 million orphans in the world).

It is because of red tape...governments who don't care...and various other reasons.

Read about it, https://bothendsburning.org/ Please sign the petition, and if you can, go see the STUCK film that is currently on an 62 cities in 80 days tour.... https://bothendsburning.org/initiatives/stuck-tou r/itin...

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Interesting! I knew it couldn't have been for lack of potential adoptive families (or lack of orphans). One of my friend's siblings was in the middle of an adoption from Russia when that whole thing went down recently. I *think* they're back on track to formalize it, but I'm not sure. I can't imagine having my child ready to go (just the paperwork, etc. to go), and then being told that it wouldn't happen. I also know that different countries have different "standards", so to speak, of what kind of families they will allow their children/orphans to be adopted into.

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

I know this is a controversial thing to say, but NEVER give to UNICEF. They do everything they can to stop international adoption...not that they will admit to it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

I think adoption in general, here or abroad, is clouded by red tape.

I have a friend who is trying to adopt the daughter she's had as a foster parent since she was 6 weeks old. The child is loaded with medical problems including CP, blindness, she'll never walk or talk, has a feeding tube, etc......but because the drug addict mother keeps wandering in and out of the CPS office every 7 months or so it's in the air still. Our state says adoptions should go thru in 2 years in cases like that. Bullspit. Wonder if the local jail has a daycare room for her dd or if there's one in the tent city the mother lives in the other 5 months of the year? Perfect place to raise a special needs child. So IMO, the adoption processes everywhere need work.

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to ScrappyMama6

Here is another video, from the Christian Alliance for Orphans, about the STUCK documentary and orphans in general (Christian Alliance is not associated with the film to my knowledge).

http://vimeo.com/59461549

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

you are so right Teresa! Children are children no matter what country they are in, and they deserve better!

Diva

Totally agree with this thread conversation. Every child deserves a chance!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to bayamonesa1

Amen! Finding "good" people to adopt and properly care for a special needs child is hard for a variety of reasons; fear ("really handle this child's needs"), money (it takes a lot of money to raise a so-called "normal" child, but add in health issues and that amount is staggering)and the worst excuse for not doing it that I can think of is "I don't want something that is broken."
I would be in so much trouble if I were wealthy because I would adopt every child who needed a home and the same with every dog! Well, I guess if I did both, they could take care of each other!
I am curious about something! Has anyone following this thread ever adopted a child? I have family on both sides who have adopted a baby at birth. Both adopted boys. One of the boys is 19 now and the other one is I think 4.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to 2xblessed

Speaking of adopting kids with special needs - here is an article about my grandma that was just on the front page of our paper. My grandma is my hero.

http://www.marshallindependent.com/page/content.detail/...

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

you probably know this already, but my daughter is from Ethiopia....she has been home a whole year come Sunday!!! I can't believe it

There is a tour going on RIGHT NOW....62 cities in 80 days on the way to Washington....showing a documentary/film about the current crisis in international adoption. They are hoping to present a million signatures to Washington when they arrive.

Please see if the tour is coming to a city near you! Please ask people to sign the petition.....you can also download the film or purchase the dvd online!

https://bothendsburning.org/initiatives/stuck-tou r/

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics