Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Work from home        (Topic#1585913)
angiegirtz
Veteran
angiegirtz
In response to DittoBabyGirl

You guys are right - turning a hobby into your job just basically turns it into a job, one more thing you HAVE to do! I would love to make a living in the scrapping world, but I don't think it would be selling my creations; hoping to have something figured out soon!
I love these "conversations" with fellow scrappers!
Angie

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to angiegirtz

Yeah, I really don't want to turn my hobby into a business although I do sell cards to my co-workers and friends when they ask and I've done a couple of scrapbooks for other people. I really enjoyed doing that but wouldn't want to do it full time or for just anyone.
But I would really like to find some sort of clerical or bookkeeping job I could do from home, that would give me access to the benefits (medical, dental, etc). I just want to stay home! LOL

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to chocolateaxel

I agree with most of you - turning a hobby into a job takes all the fun out of it... however, TIM HOLTZ, Christy Tomlinson...and MANY OTHERS seem to be having a load of fun! LOL Hey, if you figure out how to do it - LET ME KNOW...and I'll work for you {from my home}

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-12-13 03:49 PM
In response to JazzieLynne

Me too Darla. I would love to do any kind of desk job at home. I can actually do most of my job from home but work doesn't want to let me work from home permanently.

I'd be curious to know how people get their work from home jobs like data entry or software testing. Most of the people I know who work from home had the job and then moved and their company decided to let them telecommute since they'd already proven themselves. That's not really an option for me anytime in the near future though.

Diva
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I have been thinking about doing so as well. I am not so sure if people are willing to pay what it really the cost of something handmade.

lcalderone
Tenant
lcalderone
In response to bayamonesa1

I turned my love of cooking into a business, and did love it for awhile. I put in tons of hours & sweat into the business, and so did my partner. I won't make the same mistake with my love of paper crafting. I find it relaxing and therapeutic.

Still, I don't like to discourage those who want to follow their dream. There are many success stories out there. It takes commitment, a saving account with enough money to get you through the bad times, and an understanding you'll be putting in a ton of hours.

I am a SU demonstrator, and hold down a full time regular job these days.

Karen W.
New Kid On the Block
Karen W.
In response to lcalderone

I know a few people who work from home transcribing medical and court cases from tape. If you're a quick typist, you can make money doing that. I considered doing that until I discovered my love of designing custom candy wrappers for people. I certainly would not be able to live off of my fun "hobby", but it has provided me with more than enough fun money! Now I have my own website, and I love to sit in front of my computer in my PJs or sweats and just design new items for my on-line store.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to Karen W.

There are several work from home jobs to be had. Most involve telephone work, typing (and you must be speedy and accurate), accounting, webdesigning and sales. I have 3 friends who all work from home. The downsides are that you have to sign contracts about when you are available, some require that you cannot have children or dependant adults in the home during work hours. You may also be required to have specific designated work areas and dedicated computers and internet lines just for the job.
As for scrapbooking for money. I do make albums for money. Mostly they are simple with very little embellishments. If people want fancier things the price goes up. I generally tell them to count on a minimum of $5 per page if they want fancy, but most don't when they see the cost. I teach classes and other things for craft money. I have an entire room dedicated to my crafting. In 10 years of doing this, I have never made enough money to quit my job, but I have made enough to buy nice equipment and supplies. I would say that my hobby/job is free for the most part as long as I keep selling items, but no real profit.

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics