Username Post: LO or create as you go?        (Topic#1585989)
Cparrish45
Tenant
Cparrish45

I am new to SB and have only completed a couple of page layouts and some tags. I really love the LOs but I think I have started playing with tags more bc the two layouts I have done seemed to take forever. Both pages were done "off-the-cuff" and I think that is the real issue. After I choose my photo I usually start with the determining the paper. From there I just start "scrapping." I usually have some kind of idea or inspiration, but I haven't actually used a LO sketch. I was just wondering if anyone else was doing something similar and if any of you actually used LO sketches. Not sure why I haven't used a sketch yet, but I think that maybe for me it doesn't seem original. Thoughts?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Cparrish45

A lot of people here do use sketches, but there are also a number of people who don't. I don't. Everything I scrap is pretty off-the-cuff.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

I have never used a sketch - I tried once, but my LO's morph quickly. I may start with as many as eight to ten photos for a LO, then decide if it's a one or two page LO, then cull pics that just won't work - usually getting down to the one page LO. Sometimes, I'll reprint the photos in different sizes to make them work. I do get inspiration from the gallery and give credit when I do so.

Tenant
In response to Momto3infinity

I too am fairly new but I find myself just going for it. I love to look at the gallery at other lay outs but never use a sketch. I do as stated above. I start with my picture/ pictures then the background paper. Then where I place the pictures and then on to coordinate papers and embellishments.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Homemaid

Me, I use sketches all of the time. To me, it's like a dressmaker sewing with a pattern. You always end up putting your own touches on it, but I find I just don't have to think so hard on the actual layout of the page, and can just concentrate on all of the different ways to embellish.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to flintridgescrapper

I do both. But rarely do I use someone else's sketch.

Sometimes I'll have an idea for a layout, and make my own sketch. Mostly, because by the time I get around to doing the layout, I may have forgotten what my plan was.

I guess usually it's 'off-the-cuff' for me. Most of my layouts TAKE FOREVER to complete. And, that's okay with me. It's part of the fun.

I don't set goals;
I don't care if I'm "caught up" (NEVER gonna happen!);
I don't scrap chronologically;
I work on what inspires me at the moment.

Play around with it; and do what works for you!

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to Bxr-Linda

I don't use sketches, either, but I'm a die hard scraplifter. I'm not sure there's huge difference, but sketches don't provide the inspiration I find in actual completed layouts. And like some others have said, even though I start with someone else's completed layout as inspiration, I add my own touches, turn the page on its side, change the title font, etc., so it becomes my own. What makes it original, even though it's not off the cuff, is the story, the focus, the embellishments, the photos, and the paper choices. I think, unless you're using a kit and using a ruler and t-square, you can't replicate a layout exactly, no matter what.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to cindy71

I just do things as I feel them, usually I buy things with the photos already in mind and coordinate the paper, but I've only ever sketched once.

What I like to do most it take everything that I've set aside for one particular layout and leave a mock layout on the table, then I'll go back and see it there's something that could be moved around to make it more attractive.

Some layouts I've finished in less than 2-3 hours, but I had also thought about what I wanted them to look like and they had very specific detailing (ie the restaurant layouts in my gallery). Then I've had some that I've started and haven't gone back to them, from several months ago because "something" was missing. Generally if I sit down I can get one to two layouts done on a Saturday if I'm not distracted.

The more you play around with ideas, the more you will come into your own.

Good luck!

-Stephanie

Kasima
Kasima 
Veteran
Kasima
In response to SJB1120

I do both !!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Kasima

I don't use sketches at all, either my own or any others. I tried once, and felt like someone has hacked off part of my creative brain. I prefer to start with a photo or photos and build from there, picking paper and embellishments that speak to me in connection with the photo(s). I may rearrange a dozen or more times before I place everything down permanently, but that is part of my process.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to chocolateaxel

• chocolateaxel Said:
I don't use sketches at all, either my own or any others. I tried once, and felt like someone has hacked off part of my creative brain. I prefer to start with a photo or photos and build from there, picking paper and embellishments that speak to me in connection with the photo(s). I may rearrange a dozen or more times before I place everything down permanently, but that is part of my process.

This is me. I do walk away from it several times. It usually takes me several days. I don't have a need for speed.

I don't get the template thing. I create or select elements I want on the page, then move them around until I like it. From my head to a complete LO can take several days working on it as I go. I did lift Jennifer Snyder once, but that inspiration did not make it faster.

Cparrish45
Tenant
Cparrish45

Wow! Thanks for all of the great feedback and good know I'm not the only that works the way that I do. Regardless of the method I do realize there isn't a right or wrong method and if I ever did use someone's sketch or even got inspiration from their layout, I would certainly give credit. I love the term "SCRAPLIFTER". That's just awesome. However, that is what this website is all about. Sure they sell products, but its sharing and passing along inspiration and great ideas that makes Scrapbook.com the premier site for the craft.

It's like sales people in my world. Just to clarify, I'm talking about good quality B2B consultative sales people that view their career as a profession and not just to make a fast buck. I haven't always been a great salesperson I will admit. However, I made sure I surrounded myself with the type of sales people I mentioned above so that I could be a "sales-lifter" and pull the best from the best. I don't care what people say, there is no such thing as a "born salesperson". I do believe some are more gifted with certain characteristics inherent to good sales people. Just like some here are more artistic and creative inherently. However, just like in sales there is lot of hard work, practice and technique that goes into all of these awesome LOs we see here. Anyway, sorry for the soapbox, but I was so excited to see all of the great feedback so thanks again and thank you Jill and Scrapbook.com!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Exactly. We all learn and get our inspiration from outside sources - that's human.

I do all of those things; I love scraplifting, and I love sketches, both my own and other people's. I also enjoy allowing my pages to grow organically with no direction other than a sense of balance and space.

All methods work, all are acceptable and as long as they're fun, you're good to go. It's a hobby. If it becomes hard work or frustrating, try it another way. There are no rules, only guidelines.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Exactly. We all learn and get our inspiration from outside sources - that's human.

I do all of those things; I love scraplifting, and I love sketches, both my own and other people's. I also enjoy allowing my pages to grow organically with no direction other than a sense of balance and space.

All methods work, all are acceptable and as long as they're fun, you're good to go. It's a hobby. If it becomes hard work or frustrating, try it another way. There are no rules, only guidelines.

Whaaaat?! You mean to tell me the Scrap Police are a myth?

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to SJB1120

I just started watching You Tube videos on scrapbooking. Talk about fun! I have a whole bunch of new ideas now.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

Whaaaat?! You mean to tell me the Scrap Police are a myth?

Scrap Police? Who are they?

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

I do both. Sometimes I need the inspiration of the sketch but rarely does my LO look anything like the sketch when I get done. And sometimes it makes my page go faster but not always. I, too, will leave a page and come back to it later if I just 'feel' it at the time. I'd rather leave it and come back than have a LO I am not happy with.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to idlewoman

I am not a fan of sketches and I don't use them. I like to take my photos, mementos and pieces of journaling and put them on a piece of white 12 x 12 scrap cardstock (like the white side of the inside cover of a paper stack or the white cardstock that comes in protectors) and place my stuff on it.

THen colors always jump out at me and I sometimes get an idea of what patterns I want with it if I want to go with patterned paper - flower, dots, stripes etc.

Then I pick out the paper and embellies and have fun with it.

I have to admit thought, my layouts are not really fancy. They are most travel layouts so I keep them simple.

Diva
In response to Henri Jean

Even when I look at many examples of LO, when I sit to work on LOs, I tend to do my own thing ( meaning my own way, but must admit one way or another I have exposed to what I have seen in other people work). Cannot use sketches. I don't know, I get sort of nervous trying to follow something like that. Don't get me wrong. I see how great they are, but not for me.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to bayamonesa1

I have never used sketches. I just let the size of the picture and inspiration at the time figure it out for me. So who knows what it looks like at the end. But for the most part I usually like all my LOs. Just a few I've had to just start over.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to janeelissa

Spam reported.

eva.lowery
Resident
eva.lowery
In response to kajunkat

I'm new to scrapbooking and so far I've been using sketches for almost all my LOs to boost my inspiration. However yesterday I couldn't find a sketch for a beautiful photo that I have from Amsterdam and I ended up creating my own. I have to say it was a wonderful experience and I was very happy with that LO.

P.S. For the record I've done it after reading this topic so thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Polina

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to eva.lowery

I just bought two books of sketches because I am so bored with my layouts. I guess you'd call my style traditional block scrapbooking. Anyway, now I have a ton of ideas to try next week while I am on Spring Break. Yay.

IndyCindy
New Kid On the Block
IndyCindy
In response to SJB1120

• Quote:
Some layouts I've finished in less than 2-3 hours, but I had also thought about what I wanted them to look like and they had very specific detailing (ie the restaurant layouts in my gallery). Then I've had some that I've started and haven't gone back to them, from several months ago because "something" was missing. Generally if I sit down I can get one to two layouts done on a Saturday if I'm not distracted.

I'm so glad to hear this! I'm new to this & get frustrated when I realize it can take me 4 hrs to get a page done (AFTER choosing pics & paper). If the pics on a particular page don't "tell me" what to do I'll look through my collection of ideas & end up lifting something, if I have to.

Even still, I often find myself cutting scraps to sit in for pics to determine sizes & scale. I can rebuild 1 page many times until I find the right LO. I think of how many pages I could have gotten done in the time it takes me to do 1 this way & the Type A personality in me goes crazy. Is this normal, or will it go away with experience? Since I only manage to grab time to scrap a few times a year I feel like I'll never get the experience to be quick about this.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to IndyCindy

I think over time you become more efficient, but the Type A personality thing sticks (I'm also Type A). I also did not get to scrapbook that often because of school, and now my scrapping supplies are 3000 miles away while I'm in Germany for a year (3 1/2 months to go!) So I've been doing digital and I still am particular about how something looks.

It took me about a week to finally find a look I liked with my most recent LO. But once you find it you feel so good! I'd rather have one beautiful layout that looks the way I want it to then have several that are still missing that something extra I want it to have.

I hope this helps and happy scrapping!!

-Stephanie

julie101
Idol
julie101
In response to kajunkat

Im a bit of both sometime I see a sketch I like but mine never look like the sketch but a lot of the time I just go with the flow Im more of a on the spot scrapper and I just start pulling things out and see if they will work or as Im going Ill come up with things I wanna do

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics