Username Post: Electronic Cutting machines Cricut/Eclips/Ecraft/Cameo/Gazelle/Zing/Pazzle        (Topic#1586025)
eva.lowery
Resident
eva.lowery

Hello everyone!

I'm new to scrapbooking and recently got stuck with the choice of an electronic cutting machine. I've read this Topic#1582591 but unfortunately it wasn't too helpful for me. So I was wondering if you could help me out.

I was very impressed with beautiful LOs of many of you and a lot of them had incredible titles that were made by those magic machines. So I decided that I might want to have one. But there was another problem that I faced is cartridges that you have to purchase in addition to your machine. It's not the only way I can get the cuts done, right?

Thank you all in advance!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to eva.lowery

I'm sorry, I can't tell what topic you are referring to without a link to it. I've tried to search but I can't work how to find that.

Cricut machines need cartridges.

The Cameo doesn't. I have the old Silhouette (predecessor of the Cameo) and it cuts any true-type font (TTF) installed on your computer. It will also cut any JPG file. It's best if you turn it into a Silhouette or outline first. So you can buy the images from the Silhouette site, or create your own images and it will cut them. No carts required.

I don't know about the others I'm afraid, but I'm sure you'll get some answers from the others soon.

Welcome to the addiction!

eva.lowery
Resident
eva.lowery
In response to RedSquirrel

Thank you for your quick answer! I was talking about this topic: http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15825...

I will check out Cameo. Does it cut letters as well?

That's what my husband said, it's becoming an addiction... but a beautiful one!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I've been scrapbooking for more than a decade and do NOT own a diecutting machine. I don't feel I need one.

I know people love their machines, and I am probably the minority, but I don't see the point. I don't believe they are cost-effective. For the cost of a machine, you can buy A LOT of letters, embellishments, diecuts, stickers, chipboard, rub-ons...

You can cut titles and letters:
-by hand ("fussy cutting" with an X-acto knife)
-punches
-stencils/templates
-borrowing the diecutting machines at your local scrapbook store

As a new scrapbooker, my opinion would be to wait. Don't buy any machine immediately. See how your scrapbooking evolves. If you really feel you want one, look at all the different machines, get opinions, watch videos here about them, try them out in person...

Pazzles
New Kid On the Block
Pazzles

• eva.lowery Said:
But there was another problem that I faced is cartridges that you have to purchase in addition to your machine. It's not the only way I can get the cuts done, right?

Eva,

Welcome! You are correct. Cartridges are not the only way to cut (depending on the machine). Our Pazzles Inspiration, and in fact every Pazzles Creative Cutter, is cartridge-free.

At Pazzles, our goal has been to put the power into the hands of the crafter. To this end, we make very powerful electronic die cutters, capable of cutting a great variety of materials including soft metals, balsa wood, and even pastry!

We were the first company to create a die cutter for paper crafters, and since then we've done our best to make quality cutters and support paper crafters in their art. Our Craft Room has thousands of cutting files, and what's more, hundreds of video tutorials. Personally, I can think of no other service like the Craft Room where you can learn to become a vector cutting file designer... it's really remarkable the depth of things you can do.

Regardless of what you choose to do, we hope you continue to enjoy scrapbooking and papercrafting! If you have any questions about electronic die cutting or our Inspiration, we will do our best to answer!

~Amanda @ Pazzles
Products Referenced in This Post:

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to Pazzles

I had the Cricut Expression first and switched to the Silhouette Cameo after about two years. I used the Cameo with SCAL (software) so I only owned a few cartridges,but I found the Cameo website and fell in love with their online collection of Print and Cuts. Such an amazing way to add detail to layouts and mini albums!So I switched. I've owned the Cameo for almost two years now and I absolutely love it.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to cindy71

I got a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas, and I love it! You can use the true-type fonts that are on your computer, and a great source of free images is dingbat fonts. (Dafont.com is a great site for free fonts) If you get the Cameo model, it has an SD card slot, so you don't even have to plug the cutter into your computer, you can save the design onto an SD card and take it to wherever you keep the Cameo. Silhouette also has an online store where you can purchase and download individual designs, priced at 99 cents or less.

ETA: I usually only scrapbook one day a week, Sunday, which is the day I take off from writing. I use the same table for both. I decided I wanted a cutting machine because it makes it a little faster to find and cut out exactly the lettering and embellishments I need for my layouts. I don't have to look through all my stuff to try to find enough matching letter stickers, or the right embellishment, or taking lots of time to hand-cut letters - which I don't mind doing, but sometimes it takes too long, plus I'm finding it harder now that I'm not quite so young any more to cut out anything really delicate or fancy by hand.

Edited by animemama on 03-17-13 08:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to animemama

WHOA! You mean you can use the Cameo without being hooked up to a computer? I did not know that!

That was my hold up about getting a Cameo - I didn't want to be on my computer every time I used it. If I can put images on an SD card that would be great!

Diva
In response to Henri Jean

At this point, I have only Cricut and I am happy with it...not ready to adventure to get something else.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to Henri Jean

Yup! That was a big plus for me, because I don't have room by my computer for the Cameo, or room for my computer on my scrapbook table. Plus I have a desktop, no laptop, so I can't just tote it around.

It's really easy to do, there's even a little button right on the software screen, where you make your designs, expecially to save the design to the SD card.

If I know several projects all at the same time (for example, last Sunday I did a layout with both lettering and a paper-pieced embellishment, and a birthday card for my son) I do them all at once on the computer, save them to the SD card, and then just take the card into the room where I scrap, and I can get all my projects done without having to go back on the computer.

Here's the layout I did, with lettering and the paper-pieced bear cut out on my Cameo. The bear is actually an image from a free True-Type dingbat font. The dingbat image is a line drawing, and the Silhouette software lets you separate the different parts of the image so you can cut them out separately on different pieces of paper.

Merry Christmas to All By Animemama

Edited by animemama on 03-22-13 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to animemama

I would really feel so much better if I could find a class to use the Cameo. I bought my Cricut and it stayed in the box forever. Then I took a beginning class and that is when I felt like getting it out of the box.

eva.lowery
Resident
eva.lowery
In response to animemama

Oh wow! thank you so much ladies! I have heard a lot of positive feedback for Silhouette and I think I might put it on my wish list! And thank you for an amazing find of dafont.com I checked it out and it has a lot of fonts to choose from.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics