Username Post: Questions about Canon Rebel T3i        (Topic#1586037)
short1sassy1
New Kid On the Block
short1sassy1

I have a brand new Canon T3i digital camera. Went from the same camera that used film to digital. I'm a little behind the times. Anyway, what does reformatting the SD card do and do I HAVE to do that at all? Do I have to download the software disc onto our computer in order to lownload a picture or several from SD card to say Facebook or just our desktop for use on the computer? I'm kind of confused. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to short1sassy1

You format the card to get rid of all the little fragments of files that get left behind. It is recommended to do it when you download the pics from the card to the computer. Usually, I don't do it that often b/c I don't take tons of pics each time, so I may do it every few times after I remove the pics from the card.

No, you do not have to install the software to download pics, unless you want to use the software that came with the camera to edit the pics. I just use PSE, so I didn't bother with downloading it.

short1sassy1
New Kid On the Block
short1sassy1
In response to StarsNSparkles

Thank you for replying back . this is very helpful. Another question for you is: Will I damage anything when connecting the camera to the computer to download pics? I feel so inadequate with this new technology (new to ME!)
Thank you!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to short1sassy1

No, you will not damage anything. Once you connect it with the cable, you should get a pop up to download the pics. I set mine to erase the pics on the card each time it downloads.

Veteran
In response to StarsNSparkles

If you shoot in raw *99% of pros recommend this, but may not be necessary for regular picture use* you will probably need a program to edit and modify those raw images and save them into a different file format *like jpg*.

Canon comes with digital photo professional so you may want to install that if you are using raw. Adobe photoshop CS5 can read the raw files *not sure what previous versions can* and im not familiar with elements but it probably can as well.

Ive installed the other canon software, I never use them. I should play with that software that lets me remotely control the camera using the computer but gotta find the time for that.

Guru
In response to GeraldFagan

If you connect the camera or the card directly to your computer you will want to disconnect the hardware from the computer before physically removing it. At least in Windows, I don't know about Macs. In Windows in the lower right hand corner by the clock there is a safely remove hardware icon. Click on that and then click on the card and/or the camera and wait until it tells you it is safe to remove the hardware. If you don't remove it that way it can cause problems. I tested it one time by pulling out my card without clicking on remove hardware and I could not use it on any other computer or either of my cameras that take the card. I had to physically put it back into the computer it was on and open and close it and then click on safely remove the icon to get it to work again on other devices. I have also heard you can risk losing data on the cards by just removing the cards without clicking on the remove hardware icon.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics