Username Post: Back to Scrapbooking        (Topic#1586049)
kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012

Hi! I am returning to the site after about a year and a half of creating no layouts! anyone have any advice or inspiration to get me going again?!

Thanks!!

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps
In response to kelsey kay 2012

While I scrapbook at home, I find crops and retreats the best thing to keep me motivated.

Some don't like lugging their "stuff" to one, but I make kits to take with me.
Select photos
Select 2 or 3 background papers
Seclect some printed paper
Take some adhesives and a few cutting tools

You can just work on design and have a base to work with when you get back home.

OR

Select Photos
Design sketch
Select a lot of paper and elements
Throw them all in a box
Have the plan to finish the layout at the crop (or your own desk at home)

HTH

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to The Biscuit Scraps

- Challenges

- Sketches

- Books/Magazines/Pinterest

- Going through your paper & supplies, looking up examples on the site & going from there!

- Don't scrap alone. Join a scrapmeet or make a couple of new friends who also like to scrap. If there isn't a scrap group within your community, either start one or check with your local scrapbooking store.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to KellyCali

I've been away from the site for a long time, I'm involved in some other non-scrapbooking online communities (writing and cats), but I've been scrapbooking pretty much the whole time, with a few breaks.

When I haven't scrapped for a while or when the inspiration is running low, I try looking at sketches (I'm partial to PageMaps myself); using a scrapbook kit, either preassembled by a manufacturer or one that's put together by a kit club; or scraplifting some layouts that I like.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

My two cents…work on the memories/photos that are the most important to you. What memory do you cherish…that you want to pass on…that you love talking about. If you saw an old friend or family member, that you hadn’t seen in a few years, what would you tell them about your life? Forget the fancy papers, techniques, tools, What photo would you show them? Then celebrate that story/photo on a layout. The scrapbooking “bells & whistles” will come (if that’s what you want).
It’s about the memory (with a little artistic flare thrown in).

It’s not about making yourself scrapbook because you got all this stuff, it’s about wanted to talk about the memory/photo and expressing yourself visually.

And if you don’t want to “express yourself” through scrapbooking anymore that’s OK too. Many take piano lessons and drop that activity. We don’t spend the rest of our lives trying to force ourselves to play. If your not feeling scrapbooking, it’s OK to set it aside for a few months, years, or even forever. hummmm...My scrapbooking supplies will fit nicely into that baby grand.

If you really want to start scrapbooking again then pick the photos that mean the most to you and show them off. Don't worry about the paper, layout, etc. start with the memory/photo and it will come.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 03-18-13 11:39 AM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Welcome back! Sometimes a small shopping spree will get me back into scraping mode. Also taking time to peek into others gallerys gives me inspiration to get going again.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to KDQ

This is such a great topic; thank you to all who've shared so far. I just got back from a scrapbooking retreat and it was wonderful. But one thing happens to me each time...I look around and think that my LOs aren't "good enough". I am not a beginner, but I am still developing my style. Any thoughts on this?

smbradford
Resident
smbradford
In response to bonprof

I agree with the idea to just start scrapping what inspires you. No need to try to "catch up" on all you missed. Unless a particular topic gets you excited to scrap. As for inspiration, I have a few videos I've done on the topic if you are interested http://scrapinspired.com/tag/inspiration-to-cr eation/

Hope that helps!

Monica

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat

Start simple with a really happy set of photos. You will be surprised how fast you can get back in to it. Even if your just matting your pic's and adding journaling, you will enjoy them no matter how fancy or simple the LO is. Because it really is all about the memories and not about the stuff.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics