Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapbook space...do you think storage/clutter stops you from scrapbooking?        (Topic#1586051)
scraplady4life
Veteran
scraplady4life

I'm asking because before we moved from MN to AZ I could scrap all the time, and once moving here I haven't really wanted to do it as much as I used to. I originally thought it was because I didn't have a space and maybe that was one reason at one point. But honestly I don't believe that is the case for the last year and a half. I scrapbooked but my space was never right, it was so messy and the clutter (being able to see everything) made me really not even come in the office at all.

But the last couple of weeks since I completely took out all the old containers and table and put in more functional storage I can't wait to get to scrapbooking. I mean I am really trying to finish it before I start to work on projects. I am excited to have a desk again instead of a table. I honestly think that I have always been an organized drawer kinda girl. I hate to get rid of all the open type containers that I found during thrift store hunts and garage sells but honestly I'm so glad that they are not going to be in my space.

So do you think that a space can affect your mood enough to make you stop scrapbooking?

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to scraplady4life

I always start with a tidy space. I love to organize and reorganize! I purge often because space is limited and I won't have anything overflowing or looking tacky. My craft space is also out in the open, ready for the world to see.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-15-13 08:43 AM
In response to runzalot81

Oh heck yes. We live in a small apartment so I have to pull everything out of a closet when I want to use it - including my craft table and chair, and put it all back again at the end of the day. It is absolutely essential to have storage solutions that makes this easy, and I am constantly rearranging stuff when I decide that something is a pain in the butt. If it's a pain, I'm just not going to do it, which is also frustrating.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to stick

Yes & yes.

I currently do not have a designated space & basically have to scrapbook downstairs on the diningroom table.

Not only do I have to 'dig' out my supplies, but ever since moving here this summer, I still do not know where everything is.

It's a pain. A process. And more often than not, a total mojo killer.

scraplady4life
Veteran
scraplady4life
In response to runzalot81

runzalot81,
I think that being out in the open is also what made it hard to enjoy the space too. But I saved one drawer to be able to put a current project in.

I haven't purged since moving from MN. And honestly I did alot of purging then, even got rid of some of the stuff that I fully intended to keep (by accident) but I went through things during this project and weeded out things that I no longer wanted. Mostly papers that the girls could use and some supplies. They aren't really gone, but it did feel good to give it away to them.

I am now waiting on my stampin up order so that I move all my stamps to their stamp dvd cases instead of having 100 cd cases of stamps. This is the only thing that is going to be another major change in the look of my new desk.

scraplady4life
Veteran
scraplady4life

I have so done the closet thing and the kitchen table. I can feel your pain. But that was the hardest to even think about scrapbooking through. I could have spent hours looking for something, and then just a little time scrapbooking before I had to put it all back. And because I was in an apartment, we couldn't really build anything either.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81

I bought an antique buffet that is exclusively used as scrapbooking storage. So, the two times a year we use the dining room, I can pack everything away and the buffet looks like it's part of the dining decor. I also repurposed an entertainment center designed for old tube TV. It's perfect for scrapbooking supplies! One of these days, I'll paint the furniture and give the space a nice shabby chic cottage feel, making my crafting look more decorative than disastrous. I have some photos in my gallery.

leslief
Idol
leslief

Even when I start with a clean room, within an hour, it's a mess again. Half the time, I have a hard, flat binder on my lap and use that to scrap on. I spend more time shopping, looking at videos, and organizing, than creating.

SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb
In response to leslief

I have to start with a clean space. I try to pick up as I go, but before you know it it's a mess again. If I walk away mid project, it's hard for me to jump back in unless I kind of pick up and sort and start again.

I'm bad about when I buy new things, I stick them in one drawer till I get time to put them where they belong. I have to clean that drawer out every once and a while. It gets packed!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-15-13 10:40 AM
In response to SherylEb

Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I am in a small apartment too and it's a challenge. Of course, my addiction to this site also cuts into my actual crafting quite a bit

scraplady4life
Veteran
scraplady4life
In response to Vae

I have to clean in between projects too but I think honestly I never felt like the space was clean because it was all still all out. I don't think I am a need to see it all kinda person. I hope that new storage can really make that feeling of not being able to scrap because I couldn't focus in such a cluttered and tight space. I hope to have much more of the space finished.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 03-15-13 02:08 PM

I went as far as to repaint my room to get me back into scraping after almost two years of not.

Seems like a lot of people stopped scrapping in that same time frame. No wonder some of the little stores had closed! We stopped!!!

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

Absolutely can agree with you on this. I have found that the way things are stored makes an enormous difference in actually using it.

I totally forgot I had templates until I created this
Template Album By CrimsonMama

And since I made labels I use my Distress Stains on every LO.
Distress Ink Bottles - completed project By CrimsonMama

And this is great, it keep s me from rummaging for small things. 60 pockets!
Waverly Storage Find By CrimsonMama

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to CrimsonMama

Oh yeah, clutter kills the mood for me. I make a huge mess when I'm creating and sometimes I don't clean up right away....especially if I finish a page late at night. I can't jump into another project unless I put everything back where it belongs so I can start fresh.

scraplady4life
Veteran
scraplady4life
In response to olleharr

Just uploaded some pics of the space in progress. I am nearing the finish line but have gotta figure out how to get my vertical paper holders to fit inside of the expedite. Hubby cut one with the saw and lets just say it is one that I will have to replace. Men and powertools lol....

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I dragged it all out of a closet originally. I finally told hubby we needed another bedroom (and deck) added to the house. It was only 40k later, but who is counting. I love the house and deck now. We'll also have the whole thing paid off in two months, so that little bit of guilt will be gone. Yes, for me a clean uncluttered space is everything.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to 950nancy

Clutter and disorganization kills my mojo every time. Sadly, I don't have a lot of room to store things or to scrap. I find it very helpful to put every little thing away before starting a new layout. I seriously will put my scissors and pens back, even though I plan to use them on the next layout. There is something about a fresh, clean start that helps me tackle the next layout.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-15-13 06:55 PM

• scraplady4life Said:
Just uploaded some pics of the space in progress. I am nearing the finish line but have gotta figure out how to get my vertical paper holders to fit inside of the expedite. Hubby cut one with the saw and lets just say it is one that I will have to replace. Men and powertools lol....

I can't remember where I saw it but I saw that they are now making the vertical paper holders so that they fit in the expedit cubes because those cubes were so popular. So maybe if you have to replace some of them they will already fit for you.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
I dragged it all out of a closet originally.

Yes, for me a clean uncluttered space is everything.

This is what I tend to do & plan to do (the right way) this weekend. Our upstairs walk-in storage closet that serves as my scrapbook storage needs to be cleaned out & organized (the right way!)

- I need to unpack, label & organize all of my paper (after having moved).

- I need to find my ATC supplies.

- I need to find my border punches & my Fiskars templates.

- I need to buckle down & commit to finally hanging up my MM Embellishment Center. (I miss not having it!)

- Lastly, I think if I could empty out & neatly organize my main tools downstairs on the bookshelf & in our armoire, then I wouldn't be nearly as stressed (as I tend to feel when it comes to sitting down & trying to scrapbook without 'a real space').

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Here are a couple of pics of my old (beloved) spaces.

As you may have guessed & as mentioned, now I just feel totally homeless.

Corner Scraproom (2009-2012)

{Scraproom 2011} By KellyCali

{Scraproom 2011} By KellyCali

(Walk-in Scrapbook Closet 2006-2009)

28-Day By KellyCali

28-Day By KellyCali

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics