Username Post: first timer seeking advice about how to tape        (Topic#1586111)
bduhl 
New Kid On the Block
  • bduhl on 03-18-13 09:48 AM

I'm ready to start putting together my first official scrapbook. It is mostly newspaper and magazine clippings, some photos, and lots of 8 1/2 x 11 pages printed from my computer and other smaller pieces of paper. I have a couple of questions:

1) I want my scrapbook to hold together into the next generation (like for my grandchildren who haven't been born yet). I bought a Tombo "Removable Adhesive Tape Runner" (and refill). Is this a good product for my needs? Do you have advice for alternative adhesives that would work better for me?

2) I'm wondering how much tape I should use for each item. Do I need to run the tape all the way around the edges of each sheet of paper, photo, or clipping or do I just put small pieces of tape on the corners or something in between?

3) I'm using black pages without the plastic protectors. I plan on using both front and back of each page. Do you see any problem with doing it this way?

Thanks in advance for any advice from experienced scrapbookers!

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to bduhl

1) I don't use any adhesive in my layouts that say "removable." I use a combination of ATG by Scotch/3M and Zig 2 Way Glue, along with Glossy Accents and Scor-Tape. But for photos and paper, I use my ATG gun. I highly recommend it.
2)I run tape down all four sides of my photos and generally make a big "x" in the center, same with pattern paper and cardstock. It's probably overkill, but I spend a lot of time putting the pages together and don't want them coming apart.
3) I always use page protectors and I use one page for each layout, leaving the back blank. I do this because my layouts tend to be bulky with quite a lot of embellishment, so I worry about something on one side damaging the other side. And for me, page protectors are a must. I spend a lot of time on each layout and I don't want the grandkids' to grub 'em up when they look through them!

bduhl 
New Kid On the Block
  • bduhl on 03-18-13 11:31 AM
In response to cindy71

Thanks for your speedy and helpful response, Cindy. And thanks in advance to any others who have helpful comments as well! I'd like to hear them all!

smbradford
Resident
smbradford
In response to bduhl

You may want to do something with the newspaper articles to keep them from degrading over time. One of the easiest things to do is have them laminated.

I too stay away from repositionable tape. Things will start to fall off your pages fairly quickly. Especially if you aren't using page protectors. I agree with the ATG gun. I love it and it holds really well.

I only put tape on the corners, not all the way around the edges. And it seems to hold up just fine. Especially with the ATG adhesive.

Hope that helps!

Monica
http://scrapinspired.com

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to smbradford

Permanent tape definitly. We will all vary on brands, but if you want something stuck on there and not coming off, I think we will all agree permanent over repositional.

Agreed on the newspaper articles too-laminate or photocopy onto acid free paper.

I don't usually use that much tape and mine are good. I kind of make a 5 domino on the back (1 in each corner and a strip in the middle. But the "dots" will get bigger as the picture is bigger.

As far as page protectors, I have my original scrapbook which is basically just paper and photos and no embellishments-it's not paper protectors and I don't have an issue. I would worry about my embellishments (brads, flowers, die cuts, etc) getting stuck to the opposite page on my newer books.

HTH! Enjoy and good luck!

bduhl 
New Kid On the Block
  • bduhl on 03-18-13 04:51 PM
In response to scrapchica

Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I should return my removable tombo tape. I'm pretty sure my local store has the tombo permanent tape runner so I can easily make the exchange. But I'm wondering what this ATG that everyone is talking about is? It sounds big and expensive. If I'm just doing this one project, and I'm not doing any embellishing --just paper, do you think I'm okay with the tombo or should I look for the ATG? Or consider some other product?

I don't think I'm going to do any laminating of clippings or protectors on the pages. So I'm still seeking opinions about:

1) For letter size sheets of paper, should I tape all the way around the sheet of paper? What about for smaller things like 4x6 photos or newsclippings? I like the idea of the domino for small things, but I'm really wondering about the 8 1/2 x 11 papers.

2) Do you think I'd be making a mistake to mount stuff on both sides of the scrapbook pages. I'd prefer to do this both because I like being able to create side by side spreads, but also because I anticipate having about 100 total pages and would like to get it all in one "post" style scrapbook. So if I go back to back I'll have 50 2-sided pages rather than ending up with 100 one-sided pages. Opinions?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bduhl

The ATG is pretty great for embellishments as well as paper (photos, journaling, clippings, whatever). The applicator, which comes with two 36-foot rolls of tape, is about $40. If this is really the only project you'll ever do, it might not be worth it, but if this is really looking to be a 100-page book, it still might do the job.

I use a strip of adhesive down both long sides of pretty much anything I'm adhering, sometimes with an additional strip going the long way between them if it's very large. With the ATG I don't like to put it on two edge that are at right angles, as that makes it easier to mess up the placement, which is very hard to fix when using the ATG. The corners-only is not a good idea in this case since you don't plan to use page protectors.

An alternative to laminating would be to use a product called Make-It-Acid-Free, by Krylon. If you really want your yet-to-be-born grandchildren to look through and enjoy this album, you really want to make sure your clippings won't yellow and deteriorate.

If you won't be using page protectors, you can still do double-sided pages, but do be careful not to make any of them too heavy, as that might affect the stuff on the other side of the page when the page is turned.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to aquabunny

I want to also strongly recommend doing something to better preserve your newspaper clippings if you want them to last. Besides, the spray (I've heard it is considered expensive by some but it is probably your best choice if you want the easiest solution), you could also copy the clippings instead of using the originals so that they will last longer. Unfortunately, BOTH your newspaper AND magazine clippings are highly susceptible to damage because they not acid or lignin free. They will turn yellow and brittle in time. If you are not wanting to use page protectors the situation will probably be even worse since your fingers would brush against their surfaces and more quickly break them down because of the brittleness issue.

About 15 years ago (when I first scrapped) I put a magazine clipping in one of my albums. I can now barely read it because what was printed on the back is also showing through. I had even tried laminating with it but that really just eliminates the brittleness problem. In addition, acid can migrate from highly acidic pieces to any photos used and cause coloring issues with them. And finally, adhesive can be adversely affected by the acid and eventually lose its grip on such a piece. Please DO something to correct this issue.

The rest of your plans (front and back) and no page protectors etc should work well with the proper adhesives. Good luck.

bduhl 
New Kid On the Block
  • bduhl on 03-18-13 06:54 PM
In response to KatieJo

This is so great! I'm not only a first time scrap-booker, but I'm also new to using this sort of forum. Wow! I can't believe all the helpful responses I've gotten already! Thanks everyone who has responded (or who soon will). This is all such helpful advice.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to bduhl

There's only one problem I see to using both the front and back of a page. That means if you change your mind about how the pages should be ordered, you won't be able to re-order them.

I use tombow runners, and they work great. The atg gun has a huge learning curve, and if you're only doing this one project, it's not worth the time needed to figure it out.

And if you really want your project to last, make sure your photos don't touch your clippings, and use page protectors to protect your pages from the oils on your fingers.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Hdubarry

WHen I want to scrap newspaper clippings I copy them onto acid free paper.

I have a laminating machine but the items will still turn yellow and fade. I have things that were laminated 10 or 15 years ago and you can't read them at all. Laminating does not stop the aging process. The only thing I"m happy with is copying them onto acid free/lignen free paper.

I do not use the front and back of my cardstock or patterned papers - I use two sheets and put them back to back in the protector.

I think like using page protectors. THey keep the pages nice. I would be very upset if someone were looking at my books and a dirty hand touched it or something was spilled. I put too much work in them to take any risks.

I'm an ATG person but like Andrea said (Aqua), unless you are going to do a lot of scrapbooking, it may not be worth it to you.

I use "Make It Acid Free" by Krylon but it isn't cheap and I wouldn't use it for a big project. I'd just copy the stuff. I use it on ticket stubs and that kind of thing. A can lasts me forever but I don't use it that often.

We saw Menopause the Musical this week in Las Vegas and I saved the program (Of course). Was going to put the cover in the scrapbook but rather than spray it and hope it doesn't turn anyway, I'm going to photocopy it onto nice white paper and juse that in my scrapbook.

But I will spray the ticket stubs.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Henri Jean

As for changing the page order, depending on how you're planning this project that might not really be a problem. I started with albums where I was scrapping front and back of the same piece of paper, so I planned the exact order everything would go in, how many pages a particular event would take, all of that, before I ever laid glue to paper. I still do that now, especially with single-event albums (like a single vacation).

Diva
In response to aquabunny

I use different sheet of paper for my LOs as I change my mind many times about the sequence of the pages.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to aquabunny

When I first started out, I used the front and back of the same piece of paper, and that required SO much planning. I could still do that now, but I am more a scrap where the wind takes me kind of girl. Having separate pages is what I need for how I work. If you are heavy duty into planning, then it works, but I'd rather scrap, than plan to scrap, if you know what I mean.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Hdubarry

I didn't read every response so I hope I'm not repeating anything. I did my first scrapbook 25 years ago like you plan on doing. I don't know about newspaper & magazines, but an FYI if you are using photos. I left my album in a hot car and my pictures fused/melted together. I wish I knew about page protectors back then.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics