Username Post: Shopping Cart        (Topic#1586117)
sbartist
Governor
sbartist

Slowly removed items and ordered elsewhere. And just now, I removed what was left because shipping charges to HI were way too expensive.

Just an FYI to SB.com, Alaska and Hawaii are part of the United States and even though at times you may offer a $6 discount to us when there is free shipping, the shipping was still outrageous.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to sbartist

I am on the mainland, but my family lives in Hawaii. I've never sent them anything from sb.c, but every other item I've ordered online for them has had outrageous shipping charges. I blame the cost of shipping, though, not the companies.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Luvmyfam

There's ways around it (depending on how you look at it, I suppose).

After living on Guam for the past 3 years, not only did I become very selective about what I ordered (in both size & weight), but I took advantage of every coupon code & gift certificate I was ever given, which usually offset the cost of shipping.

There are zero craft type stores on Guam. In the end, I was just thankful that they even ship there in the first place!...Otherwise, I have no idea how in the world I would have survived!

BTW - I completely agree that the prices are due to the rising costs of postal services & or fuel, not the companies.

As for sb.com, this place is great (selection, kindness, concern & lightning fast delivery!)... And in the end, you really can't put a price on awesomeness!

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps
In response to KellyCali

How does free shipping work on SB.com? I don't have the budget for $50 at one time for shopping, but I only shop online when there is free shipping. Do they ever have a code for free shipping when you buy less than $50 or at least, reduced shipping?

Edited by The Biscuit Scraps on 03-19-13 05:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to The Biscuit Scraps

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing. Sometimes they give $5 off a $40 order, and depending on what you're getting that could almost make shipping free. I don't think I've seen a lower threshold than that though. Would your budget allow you to hoard your scrappy money for a few months and let it build up to be able to drop $50 at once?

One time they were offering 10% off on gift certificates, which essentially meant that money was on sale, but a bug in the system meant we got charged the full amount anyway and they had to manually refund the overcharges, and I haven't seen that deal offered since then.

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps
In response to aquabunny

Yes, I could do that, but scrapbooking is more instant gratification for me. I can hold out and save for a large item purchase, like a cutting machine, but I spend $20 to $30 a month on quilting and scrapbooking.

I usually don't buy online, unless it is for something with free shipping. That's just how I budget.

We all have our idiosyncratic habits. ;-)

I have some things I want to buy from SB.com, so I might see about getting a group of people to buy $50 worth together.

Diva

I still have to order from here. I am just so used to have my coupons from other stores and get my things right away. I have some stuff in my wish list and hope to order from her at one point.

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to bayamonesa1

Bonnie - I worked in ecommerce for about three years and we had to put a disclaimer on every item that asked Alaska and Hawaii to request a quote for delivery. United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx....it didn't matter what company we used, the shipping costs ate the entire profit if we didn't quote carefully. It isn't fair...you would think a state is a state is a state, and at least the USPS should provide service at a reasonable cost, but it was never true. Even flat rate was higher. It always drove me nuts.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

• The Biscuit Scraps Said:
Yes, I could do that, but scrapbooking is more instant gratification for me. I can hold out and save for a large item purchase, like a cutting machine, but I spend $20 to $30 a month on quilting and scrapbooking.

I usually don't buy online, unless it is for something with free shipping. That's just how I budget.

We all have our idiosyncratic habits. ;-)

I have some things I want to buy from SB.com, so I might see about getting a group of people to buy $50 worth together.

This is what my daughter and I did last week. Neither of us needed a lot, but we easily got the minimum going together. Usually I get something big and heavy for free shipping day, but with other expenses coming up, I didn't want to do that. Going together on the order worked perfectly for both of us...and the package arrived yesterday. Fast service!~Judy

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mrsdriver5

I live in Canada and shipping from the U.S. is always expensive except for the odd company that offers a flat rate shipping to Canada (very few companies and I'm sure they are losing money doing so).
I also don't blame the companies....shipping costs are shipping costs....

I order from here because they always have the latest things and often have things I can't get elsewhere. They have excellent customer service and seem to be a great company!

Alison

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to kiyawinn

I would be HAPPY if SB.com offered flat rate shipping, but they do not. What I was ordering was going to cost $23.00+ - that is not a flat rate shipping price and what I was ordering could easily have shipped in a flat rate box.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to sbartist

Bonnie.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

Bonnie - we will be coming to Hawaii this summer. If you want to send anything to my house we will bring it. I am not luggage limited so its not a problem.

Or I can mail it to you from my house if you need it faster.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks Henri. I was able to find what I needed elsewhere for reasonable shipping and there was no minimum either.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics