Username Post: Playing with inks        (Topic#1586129)
samaclean
Tenant
samaclean

I have been playing with inks and misters. Got me thinking... what would bleach do? It is not chemically an acid, but has some pretty corosive properties. I think I might play just to see what happens. Has anyone tried anything like this? What experiences did you have?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to samaclean

I don't know but bleach has a strong smell, although I think some have tried it. I don't know if that would go away!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-19-13 07:23 AM
In response to CrimsonMama

This is an interesting idea. I don't want to post anyone else's work, but I just did a general search in the gallery for "bleach" and several layouts and cards showed up. Some of them have blogs that show their bleaching technique. Let us know how it goes!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to samaclean

I've seen in several magazines where they show the bleach technique, it does produce some very cool effects.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to chocolateaxel

Dyan Reavely does what she calls a bleach out technique that looks like a bleach was used. She puts down a layer of spray ink, lets it dry, then using a waterbrush, she lifts the color off either through a stencil or on a stamped image or even freehanded.

You could also do it with a spray bottle over a stencil (what she calls ghosting).

Very cool techniques that give a bleached look without the smell

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Kim222

I've stamped with bleach I put the bleach on some folded paper towels in a flat bowl and then stamped on colored card stock gives some really cool textures

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to Sneezy1956

There's a stamp pad from castaway that goes on clear, and when you apply heat, it lightens the paper, like bleach would. They were marketing it as safer for your stamps than bleach.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Hdubarry

I'm not sure. Bleach is a very strong alkali - the other end of the acid spectrum, and just as corrosive. Personally I wouldn't want it anywhere near precious photos unless it had been neutralised first.

I could be wrong, but I think that when we make all this fuss about products being "acid-free", we really mean that they should be as close to pH neutral as possible. The reason that acid is the scrapper's bad guy is because many items do leach acid, and as photos are already acidic, it damages them. But strong alkali has to be just as bad.

If I've got this wrong, please feel free to correct me. I'm only basing this on my school-days chemistry knowledge.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics