Username Post: Painting        (Topic#1586131)
olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

Is there a trick to painting on paper and cardstock with acrylic paints? I always have a hard time with paper buckling/crinkling no matter how light I apply the paint. Just wondering if anyone has any tips they can throw my way. Thanks.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to olleharr

Try laying down a light coat of good quality gesso. Let it dry before painting. Obviously, the thinner the paper, the more it will curl, crinkle, etc.

You still may have some curling depending upon how much body the acrylics have, how much you apply, how thick the base paper is etc. but the gesso will definitely help.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Kim222

OK thanks. I've never heard of gesso before but I'll look it up.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to olleharr

Sorry!! I should've linked it to my post.

Gesso is a primer. Great for giving a surface to your paper, but also good to use with stencils for adding texture.

Comes in white or black. You can tint the white if you'd like.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

I tried Artists Loft gesso (I believe that is M's brand) and it took 3 coats to cover a page I was working on AND it started to crack after that many layers. I used one coat of the Studio one and a thin coat covered perfectly.

Anyway---I thought all gesso was the same, but I'm now convinced that it isn't.

Experiment and find which one you like best

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Kim222

Thanks. I will definitely give it a try. That's how I feel about the knock off brands of Stickles too. They're ok but haven't found any yet that I like as well as I do Stickles.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics