Username Post: Template Questions        (Topic#1586149)
crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

After many years of being away from scrapbooking I'm taking it up again. I wanted to use some pretty templates on my pages like I see in the pictures here. Do I need to have a machine to do this? Would the Sizzix Big Shot machine work for this? Does it work with Tim Holtz die cutting templates? If I'm understanding correctly, it does.

Also, I really want to do some of the larger templates. One example is at the bottom of the Big Shot product page. It's the layout on the left and the largest template in the photo. How would I do that? I wondered if you just bought the template and used a craft knife or if you had to have a machine. I can't even seem to find a template like that.

I hope I'm explaining what I want well enough. I'm not going to be scrapbooking all the time, but I do have a couple of albums that I'd like to do. I don't want to have to spend a lot of money. Thanks so much for your help.

Carol
Products Referenced in This Post:

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to crichards1

Could you link to one of the templates you mean? When I think of templates I think of a thin sheet with designs cut out of it, used for inking or tracing or spraying paints through like a stencil, but it almost seems to me that you might mean cutting dies.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I went to the BigShot page and the mask *I think* you are referring to, is a Prima one. The design on the layout was done with the Mix'd Media inks shown and a mask.

There are "dies" that you use with a die cutting machine to cut out a shape. You can also use embossing folders with the machines to emboss a design onto the paper.
There are stencils or templates that most of us use to spritz, paint, chalk etc. through to make a pattern on the paper or cardstock.
Masks are used to lay over the paper, ink, chalk or paint around them, lift up and you have the negative of the design on your paper.....
Hope this helps!
You can go to the videos section here and look at a lot of videos on different techniques. You can also go to YouTube....

Alison

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to aquabunny

Aquabunny, I think I actually mean a template that you would cut with a craft knife or cutting tool. I've searched and searched and the only examples I've found are in the layouts section of the gallery on this website. One example is at the bottom of the Big Shot product page. It's the layout on the left and the largest template in the photo. I've linked to that in my original post. I want to layer mats on my pages. How would I do that?

There aren't any scrapbooking stores here where I can ask. I do have a Creative Memories self-healing mat and their circles. I just want to do something more than the circles. I also have a couple of Templates from Creative Memories. One is called Corners & Borders, and the other one is called Lines & Things. I use the lines for my journaling.

I thought maybe Die Cutting was what I meant when I couldn't find a Template like I wanted. If I found the Template and traced it, would I cut it with scissors or a craft knife? I don't have a craft knife but could buy one. I know I've made this sound a lot more complicated than it really is.

Thank you,
Carol

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Alison and Aquabunny, I linked to the wrong Big Shot machine in the first post. The template I like is in this link. It's in the first picture and the largest template on the page. I'm so sorry for the confusion. It's aqua.

Carol

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

These are the shapes that I like, only the shapes would be larger--not tags.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

It sounds like you are talking about die cuts. If so, then the Big Shot will cut them. I have the Cuttlebug, so I'm not positive on all the things a Big Shot will cut, but I know it will cut the Nestabilities I've linked below. Now they will only cut the size of the dies you use.

An electronic machine like the Cricut Expression and the Silhouette Cameo will cut bigger things. I have the Expression so I know it will cut things up to 12". But you have you have cartridges for it. The Silhouette uses different images you can purchase from their store, or as I understand it, you can even use clip art to make cutting files with it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Ok, the template you linked to is a Crafter's Workshop template and most of us use ink, chalks, mists or paint to colour the shapes.....
If you want to *cut* shapes, you can use the Fiskars shape cutting system (shown below) with their templates or you can invest in a machine, manual or electric to cut the shapes using dies....
If you are using the Fiskars shape cutting system, you can use their cutting tool to cut around the templates or you could trace the shapes and cut them with scissors or an exacto knife....your choice.

Alison

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to kiyawinn

Thank you Judy and Alison. I'm going to JoAnn's or Michael's today. I'll look for the Crafter's Workshop templates. I'll try to cut them first. Would it be hard to learn to use the mist on your own? I just looked them up and assume it's a spray paint in a small bottle. What section of the store would I find these in?

I know these are probably stupid questions, but I'm learning a lot here. I really appreciate the help.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Judy, I forgot to say that the first set you posted is the shape I'm interested in. I can't tell from their website if the Big Shot would do shapes as large as I want. I don't want to invest in anything that's more expensive.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

The regular Big Shot will do shapes up to nearly 6 inches wide.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to aquabunny

Thanks Aquabunny! I couldn't find that anywhere.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

If you're not planning on doing much, or just want to give it a try, you could make the design you wanted in a graphics program, then just print it out on cardstock and cut it out with small, sharp scissors. That's what I did when I first started scrapping. If you have a halfway-decent graphics program, it should probably have various shapes that you can manipulate to what you want. More time consuming, but less costly :>)

The cuttlebug is relatively cheap and takes dies up to 6" wide.

However you do it, have fun!~Judy

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• crichards1 Said:
Thank you Judy and Alison. I'm going to JoAnn's or Michael's today. I'll look for the Crafter's Workshop templates. I'll try to cut them first. Would it be hard to learn to use the mist on your own? I just looked them up and assume it's a spray paint in a small bottle. What section of the store would I find these in?

I know these are probably stupid questions, but I'm learning a lot here. I really appreciate the help.

We don't have J's here so I'm not sure about them but Ms does not carry Crafter's Workshop templates....
The only place I've seen them is online or at local scrapbook stores.
If you are going to cut out the designs on a CW template, you will probably have to trace it first....the designs are pretty intricate and the material of the template could be cut by accident....
Misting/Spraying is not hard. You could try it on a plain piece of printer paper first to get used to how far away to hold the bottle, how much to spray etc...
You can also "paint" the spray on....the mists are usually a somewhat transparent ink although, you can get some that are more opaque now....
The mists are in the scrapbook section of Ms....not sure about other stores.

Alison

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to kiyawinn

Judy and Alison, thank you very much for the suggestions and help.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics