Username Post: 6X6 albums - need ideas please        (Topic#1586159)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

My baby girl's first birthday party is in less than 3 weeks. I want to make a baby album to pass around during the party. For my older son's first party, I was able to complete a very nice 12x12 album highlighting his first year. I'm very sad to say, but now with 2 kids and a full time job, I didn't have the time or energy to repeat that effort. I have completed less than 10 layouts for my baby girl, while my 6 year old son has more than 10 full 12X12 albums

To save time, I bought a 6X6 album to highlight my daughter's first year. But I'm not really sure where to start. I'm guessing for each layout, just use 1 picture and a few embellishments?? Does anyone have any ideas or examples you can share with me? Thanks!

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps
In response to Mama2Thomas

Since time is limited, just focus on choosing the photos. Pick about 30 photos of her from this past year...make sure to choose some that have all her important people in them with her.

Now, layout the photos for each page and weed out the ones that seem to be duplicates so that you have the exact amount to put in the album. Use a 6x6 paper pad and fill each page with paper, the put the photos in. Put a strip of paper at the top or bottom and write in the titles and add some embellies.

The point is to get it done and have something to share.

You might then, use this album as a road map for her 12x12 album. Try setting a goal of 1 layout a month for her first 12x12. Even if you don't meet that goal, you will at least have more layouts done than if you don't set the goal.

Remember, it is not being "finished", it is about putting out the effort. I'm a grandmother and just now doing my own children's albums because I have the time.

Scrapbooking is a process not a road race with a finish line. ;-)

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to The Biscuit Scraps

You could concentrate on each month. one pic per month highlighting her growth and what she did. at the end you could do a few extras with b-day pics.

Since its 6x6 it will go faster. Maybe then you could do another 6x6 about her first holidays and major events.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Mama2Thomas

As Carol suggested, I would pick a paper pack (6x6) that you like, something "little girlish"....and use the coordinated papers for the background in the whole album.
That way, you don't have to think much about matching papers etc....

Mat your photos with coordinating cardstock and stick them down (I would probably only put one photo per page because not much else fits on a 6x6 layout)....embellish with coordinated embellishments or flowers.
You can write a few words about each photo (typed or handwritten) and then diecut (if you have a BigShot or other machine) the journalling out in a shape, circle, scalloped circle, starburst etc....

Alison

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to kiyawinn

Also with 6 x 6 a picture and title is about all you have room for and maybe a few brads or buttons. If you do them right you could then pull them out and use them for the basics for a 12 x 12. Take the 6 x 6 out of the album add more papers and embellishments and turn it into a 12 x12.

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps
In response to Sneezy1956

Great idea, Jane! Love it.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to The Biscuit Scraps

I've done it a time or two when I needed something fast

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:
Also with 6 x 6 a picture and title is about all you have room for and maybe a few brads or buttons. If you do them right you could then pull them out and use them for the basics for a 12 x 12. Take the 6 x 6 out of the album add more papers and embellishments and turn it into a 12 x12.

fantastic idea if you are using the one with pages protectors!!!

I unfortunately did a prebound chipboard album for my DD grandparents so we can't even add to it.

if you choose to go with an album like that I would choose a photo from each month that showed how she grew and just journal all the new discoveries from that month. Add some bling/buttons/embellis and pass it around

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Just G

Thanks everyone for the GREAT ideas - you guys rock! Last night I started to pick out her monthly pictures, along with a couple other favorites and some holidays to make a total of 20 6x6 layouts. I have not started scrapping yet, but laid the pictures out on a Powerpoint presentation while jotting down some key milestones. I know it won't be as detailed or embellished as my usual layouts, but I feel better now knowing at least I will have something to share with her guests at the birthday party

Edited to add: I think I may also put the 10 or so 12X12 layouts that I have done of her in one of those easel type displays (bought mine from Michaels) along side the 6x6 album.

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 03-21-13 07:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics