Username Post: Scrapbook help        (Topic#1586171)
Tenant

Hi all, I'm not a huge poster but do frequent the boards. My daughter is graduating high school this year and I'd like to put together a quick scrapbook for her. I have a ton of other albums but I don't scrapbook each child. Of course, I have a ton of photos to choose from. I thought I'd do something like: baby, growing up, friends, family, special occasions. Any ideas would be appreciated. Has anyone else scrapbooked something like this? My goal is to have something she can take with to school and know her family and friends are there for her.

Thank you,
Missy

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to missymckibben

That's a great idea! I've seen those done. Like several 2 page LOs highlighting through the years. I don't have a great LSS, but some of them have local high school/college paper and diecuts. Our Archivers just got a machine where you can ask for specific names/local schools and it will create and cut the diecut for you too.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I did this for my oldest granddaughter...well, I'm still slowly working on it. She graduated in 2010 :>)

I began with early years and touched on important things in her life, but mostly focused on high school. I did a double page with all of her school pictures through the years and it's fun to see her change.

If I can find the hard drive that I have pics on, I'll post my LOs. It's the first scrapbook I did, but I think it's my favorite. I didn't have many supplies and had no clue what I was "supposed" to do, so had to be creative :>) Have fun.~Judy

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps

I would get sneaky and pull out a ton of family photos. Tell her you are planning to create a family and friends album for the family this summer. Ask her to sort through the photos for her favorites (and if you have other children, ask them to do the same so she doesn't catch on).

Scan/copy those photos to add to what you plan.

Buy a collection of paper and embellies so you don't have to worry about matching (and believe me, I'm a stickler to frugal and using my stash, but when I need to do something quick, I splurge).

Remember this is not about you creating something out of nothing into a beautiful piece of work...it's about her taking it with her to college. I would look for paper that has her favorite colors and "just looks like she would love it".

I would also leave some journaling boxes open for her to journal on her own.

Create a two 2 page layouts toward the end, one for her graduation and one for photos of her BFFs during prom/awards/graduation. Just use mats so she can fill those in herself and journal.

Well, that's what I would do and I hope that helps in some way.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I found a hard drive with pictures, but I took them inside the page protectors. Somewhere I have pics w/o protectors, but I may just borrow her scrapbook and re-take the pics so I can upload them to the gallery...and so I have them and can find them!~Judy

Tenant
In response to mrsdriver5

Sounds great Judy.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I would do it in 8 x 8 or 6 x 6 also since she won't have a lot of room in a dorm and it would be easy and small enough to keep on her dorm desk.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Sneezy1956

I did a mini album of Senior photos for my oldest, as well as an altered large deck of cards titled "52 Life Lessons" filled with things I thought he should know....ranging from "not burning popcorn in the dorm because everyone will know its you and will hate you...." To quotes from Einstein and Carl Sagan.....

Senior Mini Album By ScrappyMama6

Senior Mini Album-Back Cover By ScrappyMama6

Senior mini Album By ScrappyMama6

Or, as an "easier" way to do it, Snapfish and Shutterfly make it super easy to click and drop lots of photos into a beautiful, quality photo book, that isnt as bulky as a handmade creation. Ive used both companies and their quality is outstanding.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Tenant
In response to ScrappyMama6

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120

I did this for my best friends when we were graduating from High School. We were from RI and one of my friends went all the way out to Ohio. I decided on an 6x6 album so I could show one photo per page and it was small enough to bring with them.

What I did is I focused on school from pre-school up to senior year, including things like concerts, pep rallys, sports, award ceremonies, and prom. I also ended with our high school graduation photos together. I also tried to put in things that I remember, or what I wanted them to remember about themselves while heading off to college. It's hard to feel a bit out of place when you leave your comfort zone, and I wanted to make sure that they did not forget why I liked all the different things about them.

Hope this helps!

-Stephanie

Edited by SJB1120 on 03-22-13 03:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I finally got the grad. album uploaded that I told you I'd do. It's my 1st-ever scrapping attempt and I had no clue what I was doing. I bought a wide format printer so I could make my own background, bought some white cardstock, raided my embroidery bag for some sharp scissors, and borrowed hubby's 50+-yr. old x-acto knife. I have a few more supplies now

I almost think it was more fun when all I had was creativity. I didn't know anything about mini-albums and still have never made one. Another gd is graduating in 2014 and I'll make her a big album also.

I bought a Pioneer album that is supposed to be for babies, but it works perfect to hold mementos in the back. It ties shut. I also added the Dr. Seuss book, "The Places You'll Go" in the back.

I've only gotten to the graduation...I got overwhelmed with all the senior pictures, but I need to get started and finish the album. Hopefully I'll get it done before she's through college :>)

I have messages that I've gotten from friends and family that I'll add after the grad. ceremony, plus a couple of pages of family graduation pics (parents, grandparents, etc.). Lots of plans...so little time.

Have fun with yours~ This link should take you to my album. Sometime I want to scan the pages so they are better photos, but at least they're in the gallery ~Judy

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'

I did this for all three of our sons, but the books were not small and they didn't take them away to college. I started scrapbooking in late 1998 and our oldest graduated from highschool in 2000. I used Creative Memory 12 x 12 albums. The albums were the hit of each graduation party. As I learned more about scrapbooking and acquired a better system for keeping memorabilia the books improved. I used pocket pages for artwork, awards, took pictures of sports ribbons etc. I don't upload many layouts on here, but have a few from their memory books posted in my gallery. But whether the book large or small or is to take with them or to keep as a keepsake until they are ready to take it with them, it will be cherished forever. Good luck and let us know how it is coming along!

Tenant
In response to mrsdriver5

Thanks for the link to your album Looks great.
Missy

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics