Username Post: Family Trees        (Topic#1586179)
lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100

I am making a scrapbook for my mother for her 88th Birthday. As part of the scrapbook I want to include a family tree going back to her grandparents generation. I will be using a two page layout but don't really have any ideas about how to do this. There will not be pictures on this layout but I would like some creative ideas about how to do it.

Lynne

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 03-20-13 01:31 PM
In response to lgtaylor100

Karen Foster makes some family tree papers. I used that to do one for my son's book
My family tree By J-M

There's a version of the paper that looks much more like your traditional family tree as well.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to J-M

I've seen some people use ledger paper and start with the person and then go down the page. I love the tree idea the other person suggested.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Sneezy1956

Do a search in the gallery using
"family tree" Enter the quotes too.
By using the quotes you will get results with BOTH words together.
I looked through a couple pages of the results and there are several really cute things.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Lynne,

I'm doing a family album, too, for my father's 85th birthday. I'm also going back to his grandparents. I am using a K&Company set that I bought several years ago. I see that they have new pages that look nice too. I've listed them below.

You may be wanting to do it all yourself though. I found several guidebooks to doing family trees on Amazon.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to crichards1

Everybody's family trees are different shapes, so it's almost impossible to find printed papers with the right configuration on. How about cutting out a tree trunk and adding branches and leaves with names on? You could add flowers for the ladies and birds for the men. Yeah I know, not new, but still individual to you.

I would sketch it out on a piece of scrap paper first so that you get the positions right.

Have fun!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 03-22-13 05:00 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Everybody's family trees are different shapes, so it's almost impossible to find printed papers with the right configuration on. How about cutting out a tree trunk and adding branches and leaves with names on? You could add flowers for the ladies and birds for the men. Yeah I know, not new, but still individual to you.

I would sketch it out on a piece of scrap paper first so that you get the positions right.

Have fun!

That's really a good idea! I have a family that would be really lopsided! The tree would be bending down!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Foamy

• Foamy Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

Have fun!

That's really a good idea! I have a family that would be really lopsided! The tree would be bending down!

Mine too, and top-heavy. It would fall over in real life.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

You all are lucky to know so much about your family history. I can go back to my great great grandparents. I haven't looked through anything like Ancestry to try to find more.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

You all are lucky to know so much about your family history. I can go back to my great great grandparents. I haven't looked through anything like Ancestry to try to find more.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I like these. I like the Paper Loft Build your own.

Diva
In response to Foamy

Nice idea! I like it!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to bayamonesa1

M's has a paper designed for that too
recollections brand

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100
In response to OlesyaK.

Thanks for the ideas. I discovered that my family tree will have to be a three page layout to accomodate the generations going back to my great grandparents up to my grandchildren. What a I am going to do is punch small holes in the pages to attach the left to the middle and the middle to the right and attach with ribbon. Then I will fold inward and put a tree on the page that will show and put the whole thing under plastic. It will have to be removed from the plastic to look at it but I couldn't think of any other way to do a three page layout. I will be using a memory keepers three ring album for the whole book which is about my mother and for her birthday. If anyone has any ideas to tweak this a little, that would be great

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Here's a page protector that might help you with a three-page layout - you could put one section of the tree on the page across from this, and the other two inside the fold, so that when it's folded out you can see the whole thing at once. Or you could put all three pages in one fold-out protector, but then you couldn't see the whole thing at once.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to aquabunny

Aquabunny, thanks for sharing that. I didn't even know those existed, and I can think of several different uses for them.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Here's a page protector that might help you with a three-page layout - you could put one section of the tree on the page across from this, and the other two inside the fold, so that when it's folded out you can see the whole thing at once. Or you could put all three pages in one fold-out protector, but then you couldn't see the whole thing at once.

These are really cool. Thanks for the tip.

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100
In response to Gelidy Gelato

That is a fantastic idea. I ordered the product. I really appreciate your help.

Lynne

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee

That sounds like a fun project. I made something similar for my grandmother a while back but I opted to make a mini album instead of 12 x 12. I even included some photos of tombstones since I didn't have photos of the person. Good luck!! Can't wait to see photos.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics