Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Adhesives        (Topic#1586199)
crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

What do you all find is the best glue for scrapbooking? I've searched the boards and found several answers in past posts. I've also watched some videos. I'm not interested in the large Scotch ATG gun. I've seen it at Michael's and think it would be too big for me.

This is what I have:

Creative Memories tape runner and mounting squares. I like their tape runner except when it gets stuck/caught. I found the mounting squares tedius.

I also have photo corners and some

Scotch glue. I haven't used the glue yet.

I have a Martha Stewart pen which I like.

I am looking at the Xyron Mega Runner. This isn't as large as the ATG gun, is it?

I also read positive things about Tombow Mono liquid glue.

What do you all think of these? Do you have other recommendations?

Thank you,

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to crichards1

I mostly use my ATG which I got for Christmas last year. Before that I just used plain old acid-free double-sided tape. Nothing fancy, but it took more time to use than the ATG.

For special embellishments I also use:
- glue dots
- foam tabs/circles/tape/whateve r I can get
- liquid glue occasionally
- Glossy Accents
- Zig 2-way glue pen (not the one below - they haven't got the one I use)

And I still use plain old double-sided tape for ribbon, lace and things that are smaller than my quarter inch ATG.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to RedSquirrel

I use the Tombow tape runner and for embellishments I use Glossy Accents. A lot of people really like the ATG, A woman at a crop I went to let me use hers to see if I would like it, I just found it too bulky feeling for my taste. I like the Tombow because it fits nicely in my hand, I've never had one jam up or get caught, and I've never had anything become unstuck.
It's all just a matter of personal taste, everyone has something they just can't live without while another doesn't care for it. You just need to try things and see how they work for you.

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps

I use a wide variety of adhesives.

Xyron "X"
Xyron 250 - Cricut cuts
Xyron 500 - large, intricate Cricut cuts
CM glue pen - for tiny pieces that don't fit in the "X"
Photo tape for heavy elements

For photos and most everything they will fit on:
Photo splits - tons and tons of photo splits. Scotch makes them, along with other companies, but I always make sure they are "made in Denmark"...they come out of the same plant and are the best on the market (IMHO)

Edited by The Biscuit Scraps on 03-21-13 03:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to The Biscuit Scraps

I only use my Zip pen and the ATG.

I thought the same thing about the ATG, especially given that I am left handed, thought it would be too hard and bulky to use, too heavy but I tell you Im so glad I just went for it and got it!

Do you have a friend who could lend you hers for a day or 2 to give you a real chance to use it?

Otherwise, the others have given you great alternatives!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to ScrappyMama6

I am fine with my ATG but some type of tape runner is best on the back of photos I have found. Any liquid glue there and you can have some "pucker" or bumbs if you are not careful.

For liquid I like something like the pen to do a precise amount. I have the Scotch brand, it has a pen point end and a larger end. Photo safe but I don't use it on photos as I said.

Dots are very useful expecially for tiny things and if you use ribbon, fibers, fabric and on any acetate piece. Glue will show thru acetate (voice of experience).

Self Adheisve Foam to add demension. I buy the sheets that are long strips and cut it to the size I want. I think that lasts longer than the dots.

Also, if you are working with metal, plastic or anything heavy, like shells, I have found E-6000 is great.

I own one but have never found glue stick useful.

In addition, if you are a Clutz like me, you will want to have some some of remover handy! UN-DU is great. It works on photos as well. BTW the only place I can find UN-DU is here are SB.com. Their site says WalMart has it but I can never find it there and I've checked two.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CrimsonMama

For a liquid glue Beacon 3 in 1 is the best on the market hands down but get a long stick pin to keep in the top of it otherwise it's a bear with the cap.

I love my ATG but a lot of people like the tape runners that put off the little dots of glue.

As far as Pop Dots I use the black 3d dots that they sell here.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Sneezy1956

As you can see, everyone has their favorites, and we're all convinced we've found "The One"! I absolutely love a liquid glue called "The Best Glue Ever". It's found on ScrapPerfect. It's great for gluing on those little fine letters, like you cut with a Cricut, because it has a very fine point on it. And better yet, it rarely, if ever, clogs. The cap has a little extra grip in the top that keeps it sealed really well. I always keep a bottle or two on hand.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to dwelch

Yes, everyone has their own favourites! Mine are;
- Tombow runners for matting and putting photos or paper embellishments down
- Zip glue pen for fine detail glueing
- Xyron create-a-sticker for alphas or other embellishments that are smaller than 2.5 inches
- Adhesive foam dots for a 3-dimensional look
- Versamark for embossing powders
- Glossy Accents for heavy embellishments or to coat something
- Mod Podge for paper layers or tissue papers

Alison

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-21-13 08:29 AM
In response to kiyawinn

I regularly use:

ATG
glue dots
Best Glue Ever (it really is awesome but I've found that if ANY of it splooges out from the edge that it will be sticky forever - just have to be really careful with it)
3M Photo Mount spray
3M Scotch Quick Dry
Glossy Accents
Zig Pens
Xyron X and 250
double-sided foam
washi tape - there's no rule that says you can't put the adhesive on top!

And non-adhesive methods such as eyelets and brads.

I have a few other adhesives but don't usually use them in scrapbooking.

As to Un-Do - it's too expensive for such a small bottle, and if you're in California it's a different formula because we're over-protective here I buy a big can of Bestine at Ms or D ick Blick or any other art store (don't know why this is allowed in CA and Un-Do isn't, but clearly we're not very consistent here either). It's exactly the same chemical as Un-Do. Whichever one you buy - as with all chemicals, just make sure to read the instructions and the warnings and use in a well-ventilated area.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Thank you everyone. You've been really helpful.

I'm placing an order for a Storage Spinner and a few other things and will add some UnDo to the list. I've put some of the others on my Wish List so that I don't forget about them.

My area needs to be neater, and the Storage Spinner looked like a great solution. I couldn't find anything that I liked locally. I've got two orders coming now and can't wait to get them. I've been visiting JoAnn's and Michael's frequently, too. I think I've officially stopped shopping for a while. Things really add up!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I was also leary of the ATG because of the size and I fell in love with it the first time I tried it. For months I wouldn't try it - now I wish I had started with it becuase I have to go back and re-do some earlier books because things are falling off.

I was in a crop and a little lady - about 85 years old, maybe 90 was sitting next to me and her daughter on the other side of her.

I used my ATG and set it down and then she picked it up and used it. Every time I set it down the little lady took a turn with it. SHe was making cards and just loved my ATG.

I don't think she ever realized it wasn't for sharing. I am sure she though it belonged to the store becuase she never said a word, just actied like it was community property and I kind of got a kick out of it.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Henri Jean

I have these.....

ATG I can't be without it
Zig pens I have several sizes
Glue Gloss.....love the stuff. Looks like a lip gloss container with glue in it. Wonderful to piece together cricut cuts and glue down small letters. I use it with my TweezerBees.
Best Glue Ever for a liquid Glue to glue down heavier items.
Glue Dots in several sizes.

This combo works for me. I am really happy with them all. But one thing for sure, I can't live without my ATG , Zig Pens and Glue Gloss.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to PhotobearSam

Pics

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
As you can see, everyone has their favorites, and we're all convinced we've found "The One"! I absolutely love a liquid glue called "The Best Glue Ever". It's found on ScrapPerfect. It's great for gluing on those little fine letters, like you cut with a Cricut, because it has a very fine point on it. And better yet, it rarely, if ever, clogs. The cap has a little extra grip in the top that keeps it sealed really well. I always keep a bottle or two on hand.

A woman after my own heart.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

That's a funny story about the lady and your ATG.

For everyone that loves these, why are they better than regular tape runners? Is it because the adhesive is better? I've tried a couple that I really didn't like and never could get the hang of. I do like the Creative Memories one though. I'm willing to try something new if it's that much better.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

I think most people like them because they hold a larger roll of adhesive tape - like 4" across (or so). Therefore, it makes it cheaper in the long run. I'm among the very few who doesn't like an ATG. I ended up selling mine at our LSS garage sale. It always felt so awkward to me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

The ATGs look intimidating but you are only holding it for a few seconds to make the adhesive strip.

I used to use the small tape runners and I could go through 6 in an afternoon. Some of the small ones are refillable but I was refilling one every few minutes it seems. It was just cost prohibitive for me to use the smaller runners.

The ATG holds a lot of tape - unless you really scrap a lot, you fill it and you don't have to fill it again for a while, its always ready.

At the scrapbook crops the ladies even bling them up and decorate them!

The tape is from Scotch (3M) and is a good quality and it sticks.

On the down side, when you glue something down you need to be serious about it. There are some papers you can remove it from but for the most part, its difficult to get up. But that as a good thing, as I want a adhesive that is serious about sticking.

To me personally it is better. But as Darla pointed out, we all have different favorites.

Some people pick up the ATG and go with it - for others its a bit of a learning and practicing curve becuase you do have to release the trigger and lift the ATG at the same time.

Its a one-motion thing and it works perfectly for me but I did have to try it a time or two to get comfortable with it.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

What Henri Jean said! Totally agree - when I first brought the ATG home, I was so frustrated with it that I almost returned it. But, once I got the hang of it, I never looked back. I can't stand the little pieces of wax paper from photo squares, they get everywhere and are hard to pick up. I should have an adhesive sale, goodness knows I've got enough to stock a small ss. I do like the Zig two-way pens for paper piecing small parts when using the Cricut or Cameo - couldn't scrap without those.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Momto3infinity

Thank you all for giving me both points of view. We don't have a local scrapbook store, and I only know one person who scrapbooks. She got me started and uses a regular tape runner.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics