Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Embarrassed        (Topic#1586205)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

Do you ever wait so long to ask a question that you then become embarassed to ask it? Well, that's me, but now I figure there are enough newbies out there wondering the same thing that I can ask "for their benefit". What is Project Life? I see so much posted about it, and everyone seems to be doing it, but I've never seen anything really telling me what it is. So, I've posted this question for the newbies - yeh, that's it - I'm asking for them!

Edited by dwelch on 03-21-13 07:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to dwelch

And why not take one for the team?

Project Life is the same as P365, where people commit to taking a photo every day for a year (with P365, other projects have different time scales like all December, every December, for example) to record daily life.

The photos aren't scrapped as such, they go into a photo album that has 2 or 4 6x4 pockets per page. You can add 6x4 decorated journalling spots interspersed if you want to.

Do a search for it in the Gallery - lots of people post their pages.

Jessica_
Guru
Jessica_
In response to RedSquirrel

Have you watched this interview with Becky Higgins? http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?m=view&v= 3741&...

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to dwelch

Years ago, there was a "Project 365" that started for photographers really. It was taking a photo a day for 365 days or one year. You presumably would get better at photography and try some things "outside the box"....
Some years later, Becky Higgins (a scrapbooker) built on this idea by putting together a system for easily scrapping your life. She put together a 12x12 album, page protectors that were divided into different sized slots and journalling cards.
It was a system that started to make it really easy to just put your photos in the slots, journal on a card and stick that in and you were done. There was no pressure that you were behind. It was easy and fast to do.
Today, lots of other companies are making divided page protectors and "project life" style journalling cards.
The whole idea of Project Life has developed and grown. You can find journalling and photo prompts all over the internet. People have adjusted it to fit their lifestyle....some do it by the week or month, some have done this style to make a baby book or wedding planner or wedding album etc.....
Some people have incorporated the divided page protectors into their regular scrapbooking or vice versa. Some people have added lots of embellishments etc. to their Project Life pages and cards but it's not necessary.
So basically you are taking a lot of photos and scrapping them the easiest and quickest way possible to get your life into albums. Even people that don't traditionally scrapbook can do this and do, do it.

I did Project Life last year and I liked it for a few reasons,
It got me taking more photos and learning more about photography.
I scrapped more about my everyday life.
I think I will enjoy looking back, 20 years from now and seeing what 2012 looked like....

It was also difficult because I was still trying to do my traditional scrapbooking and it is hard to do both....

I hope this helps!
Alison

Besneys
Pro
Besneys
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks Darla glad that someone asked... where do you find the challenges??

anne x

Diva
In response to Besneys

Good to know.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to bayamonesa1

i have done project life twice in 2009 and last year. Like a trooper i saw it all the way through.

if i do it again i will get the PL page protectors and do the thing right.

This year i'm doing the same thing only on a smaller scale. i'm doing Simple Stories

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to cescrapper

I love the idea of PL but I don't have the staying power to manage to get it done.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Sneezy1956

What is Simple Stories?

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 03-22-13 04:35 AM
In response to SJB1120

It takes a lot of dedication!! I have never done it..I have THOUGHT about doing it- but that's not doing it

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to SJB1120

• SJB1120 Said:
What is Simple Stories?

It's a brand...very similar to Project Life idea..

Alison
Products Referenced in This Post:

ScrappingLJ
Pro
ScrappingLJ
In response to kiyawinn

This newbie didn't know either so thanks for asking. This is a really cool concept but I'm not sure I could do it.

Nicole2112
Pro
Nicole2112
In response to ScrappingLJ

Confession: I've started Project Life twice and haven't finished either one.
The first time I did a quarter of the year and the second time I haven't even opened the boxes.

It's such a fabulous idea and I want so desperately to do it but I just get derailed, don't print my pictures, don't journal when things happen, and then I get off and get frustrated.

ReneP
ReneP 
New Kid On the Block
ReneP
  • ReneP on 03-21-14 08:22 AM
In response to Nicole2112

I am thinking about starting PL and I have none of the page protectors or kits yet but I got off track with my regular scrapbooking cause I didn't have as much time as I used to so with PL being more simple I wanted to try it. We just got a new printer too so I can now print out my photos. Do any of you have any advice or suggestions for a newbie just starting out with PL?

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to ReneP

I think is a great concept. I also think that its a big commitment to do it. I would like to do it but since I only started scraping recently, I have soooooo much to work on!

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to CrimsonMama

lol I tried it at the beginning of the year and it lasted me all of 3 days and I totally forgot about it. lol Wish I could be more dedicated with it cause it sounds so neat

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to dwelch

I just picked up a PL kit recently because I thought it would really enhance my quasi-genealogical efforts at scrapping some of my grandmother's photographs. I have been making pages for the photos I know I can work with, but so many pictures have people I don't know and can't journal about so I don't feel I can do justice to them in a regular layout. I chose the Heritage edition because it seemed the most logical for the job. I can put pictures in the pockets and add a pretty card and journal on it later if someone can tell me something about the pictures or people. It has become a great way for me to organize my pictures and do at least something with them.

I also want to get my mom started on this so that she can organize her pictures. She wants to make albums and has asked me to show her how to use my Cricut so that she can make "little thingies" to put with the pictures. I think Project life is a good starter album for her.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to TFCasper

We are on our 4th year if project life and we still love it! The first two years we used the Becky Higgins kits and did daily photos and journaling. The third year we built our own books using creative memories products and used photos from each week with a weekly summary eah week. This year we made our own kit out of products I have in my stash and are doing photos from each week with journaling whenever it is needed - much more casual than in previous years. There is no right or wrong way! It is alot of fun to look through our books from the last few years and see our every day life documented.

This afternoon I just finished putting photos from my childhood (1967-1989) into two 12x12 albums and I will be working on the journaling for these books using two different Becky Higgins kits. It is a completely awesome feeling to have all of these pictures out of their old magnetic albums and into something archival.

Doing project life to document our everyday frees up my time to scrap our trips the traditional way and that's what I love most about the system.

Tenant
In response to Shutterbugg

I just started it recently. I'm not using it like 365 though - that's way too aggressive for me - if I tried that it would just be one more project that never got done.

I do try to incorporate much more "daily life" stuff. Because it goes together pretty quickly, I feel like I can manage to scrap more than just the big events. For example, recently I did a few pages from a business trip I went on and am doing a page of DH&DD planting the garden today. That type of stuff would have never gotten done before. I think of it as a way to speed up the process so I can capture more in my albums.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to WorkingMommy

I view Project Life not so much as scrapbooking every week but a simpler way to scrapbook using their page protectors and cards over a traditional 12 x 12 page. Now lots of companies offer that type of scrapbooking like We R Memory Keepers.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics