Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: LOs in magazines        (Topic#1586207)
RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I'm reading an old magazine from 2011, given to me by a friend. Looking at the featured LOs, I noticed that one had an error in it - a key word missing from the digital journalling. On the facing page, that LO's journalling said "When I first saw this photo of you and I..." I turned the page. The next LO had a missing apostrophe in "you've".

I can understand people making mistakes in personal LOs, although I would check, check and check again if I were sending something in for publishing. But surely if you ran a magazine, you would make sure that any submissions were correct before going to press? An editor would ensure that the accompanying article was correctly spelled and punctuated, so why accept mistakes in the LOs they are showcasing? Are there really that few submissions that they value design over accuracy?

Is it only me (and Linda! ) who cares?

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to RedSquirrel UK

It isn't only you, Rosie! I am a voracious reader, and I am appalled at the number of books I have read in the last couple of years that had spelling and grammatical errors. I think proofreading has gone by the wayside. Maybe with all the text-ese and such, editors just feel that nobody cares anymore.
All I know is it bugs the daylights out of me!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to chocolateaxel

I care too!

Another thing that bugs me is people saying "scraped" for "scrapped", "scraping" for "scrapping", "scraper" for "scrapper", et cetera. You guys, the doubled consonant changes the sound of the preceding vowel. It MATTERS. And in my head I pronounce things the way they look.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to chocolateaxel

awwwww..... Thank you for thinking of me!

Yes, it bugs me!
I wholeheartedly agree with you. In your personal scrapbook, make all the mistakes you want, but if it's published in a magazine, it should be a shining example... not filled with misspelling and typos.

Obviously, the editors except mistakes in the submissions.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda - read that last line again quickly before someone quotes you!

Absolutely. I'm paying money for this magazine (well OK in this case I didn't, someone else did) and I want it to be correct. I want to be able to give it to my 9-year-old niece without having to say "ignore the spelling, punctuation and grammar, just look at the design".

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
Linda - read that last line again quickly before someone quotes you!

Absolutely. I'm paying money for this magazine (well OK in this case I didn't, someone else did) and I want it to be correct. I want to be able to give it to my 9-year-old niece without having to say "ignore the spelling, punctuation and grammar, just look at the design".

I intended it that way! (I realize it's still wrong.)
Knew YOU would catch it. The editors overlook (except) mistakes.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
awwwww..... Thank you for thinking of me!

Yes, it bugs me!
I wholeheartedly agree with you. In your personal scrapbook, make all the mistakes you want, but if it's published in a magazine, it should be a shining example... not filled with misspelling and typos.

Obviously, the editors except mistakes in the submissions.

Truthfully, I think it's a fabulous pun!

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to scrapperbee

I am a fan of the thread in the NSBR forum 'The Grammar Gurus'. On my trip to New York, NY in 2010, I picked up a book for the flight, titled 'Ex Libris' by Anne Fadiman. It's a book of short essays with one called 'Inset a Carrot' - if you have a chance to read the essay, I highly recommend it. It's for those of us who pick up a menu and think, "Do they really serve P-E-A-K-I-N-G Duck?" Keep a smile M.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Momto3infinity

It drives me CRAZY to see mistakes like that published in magazines. They receive hundreds of submissions for each possible spot and they can't eliminate the ones with blatant errors? Or ask the artist to make the correction before mailing it in? I totally don't get that.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to cindy312

Magazines should show the best of the best.

People wouldn't want to look at a fashion magazine where the models have panty lines and runs in their tights?

I have to ask a related question. Has anyone ever expressed this concern to said magazines?
I've come to the realization that few people really care, and it's typically a waste of my time.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Bxr-Linda

I can understand it if it's supposed to be different and the journaling tells the story with it different then what is proper. But, to just make a mistake and then print it no!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
People wouldn't want to look at a fashion magazine where the models have panty lines and runs in their tights?

I have to ask a related question. Has anyone ever expressed this concern to said magazines?

Excellent analogy! Poor grammar is the panty line of the scrapbooking industry.

No, I've never said anything to a print magazine. I did say something about mistakes to an online magazine. At first, the ownder was extremely appreciative, but things took a crazy turn and she ended up banning me from the site.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to cindy312

I read a lot of notels when traveling and I need mindless ones. I enjoy Stuart Woods but the editing has gotten so sloppy! A few times I've nearly quit reading his work because of it.

They even accidently changed the last name of one of the re-occuring characters in the books. He was Mike Freeman and now he is Mike something-else but its the same person. The author just forgot what he named this character!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

Excellent analogy! Poor grammar is the panty line of the scrapbooking industry.

No, I've never said anything to a print magazine. I did say something about mistakes to an online magazine. At first, the ownder was extremely appreciative, but things took a crazy turn and she ended up banning me from the site.

LOVE it!!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Henri Jean

No spell/grammar check for text within a graphic image. BUT even if there were, it would not catch incorrect words if they are spelled correctly.
PhotoshopCS can do a spell check while you are creating a digital page, so I always take advantage of it. But even after rereading my journaling over & over & over I still find mistakes. “Tail” instead of “Tale”.

PS I proof read and check printer plates for a living and it really is an advanced skill to be able to spot errors. Many people are just not good at it. The funny thing is it's not having a good knowledge of "English" or spelling, it's the ability to look at something and sense it is not right. The hardest thing is to spot something that is missing. Example: It’s easier to spot “Vitamin” is misspelled then it is to realize the “A” in Vitamin A is missing. It still amazes me how many people miss errors when they are specifically proof reading materials.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

Brilliant!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

My 2nd grade students love to point out editing problems in textbooks. I always tell them that they are so smart! For some reason, they are especially pleased when they find it in the math workbook. Future editors????

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

As a former secretary, I was told to read the document backwards for spelling errors. Interesting concept. And also to never proof from the computer screen, but to print the document and proof from the printed copy.

Kind of like the importance of correct punctuation, i.e. "Let's eat, Grandpa" vs. "Let's eat Grandpa".

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
No spell/grammar check for text within a graphic image. BUT even if there were, it would not catch incorrect words if they are spelled correctly.
PhotoshopCS can do a spell check while you are creating a digital page, so I always take advantage of it. But even after rereading my journaling over & over & over I still find mistakes. “Tail” instead of “Tale”.

PS I proof read and check printer plates for a living and it really is an advanced skill to be able to spot errors. Many people are just not good at it. The funny thing is it's not having a good knowledge of "English" or spelling, it's the ability to look at something and sense it is not right. The hardest thing is to spot something that is missing. Example: It’s easier to spot “Vitamin” is misspelled then it is to realize the “A” in Vitamin A is missing. It still amazes me how many people miss errors when they are specifically proof reading materials.

My mother was a very good proof reader. Executives and PHd level people would have her proof their work. Our minister had her proof his work. She did work on the church newsletter. NO ERRORS!

I'm not that good. Especially proofing my own work, it's very hard to proof your own work IMO. So being aware of this, when I do my ancestry work, I am going to do it in Word and then transfer it or create a Adobe PDF or JPG file.

I have a Kindle Fire now and I have read a couple of novels. I am so surprised at the poor editing. I most certainly can give that feedback but I'm not sure the editor would ever see it or just people considering reading the book. Still the point is, if EVEN I SEE IT, then it's a mistake that jumps off the page.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics