Username Post: Silhouette Cameo- using personal images and cutting rubber?        (Topic#1586211)
Oreety 
New Kid On the Block

Hi there,

So, I am heavily considering purchasing the Silhouette Cameo, the one that cuts up to 12 inches but had a few questions:

I like to draw and have dreamed about making certain drawings, uploading them and then having a machine that could cut it, sketch, create stencils etc... more importantly turn into my own stamp. So, I wondered if the silhouette would have the ability to a) use my own personal designs/drawings and b) cut through rubber or polymer type material so that I could create my own stamps?

Also, I saw a demo of a Pazzle and it looked as though I could simply pop in any pen I own and it would then write/draw with it... does an extension like that exist for the silhouette? Can the Silhouette print? I would want to use it to create stationary and invitations?

And finally, what about letterpress and embossing? Does the Silhouette machine have those capabilities?

Sorry for all the questions!

Any and all help is much appreciated!

-Oreet
Products Referenced in This Post:

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Oreety

To my knowledge the Cameo will not cut foam or rubber. It does come with pens you can use to draw with or you can buy a chomas adapter to use any of your own pens. Chomas also sells embossing mats so you can emboss with the cameo.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to terrihooper

You can save an image, such as something you drew yourself, as a .jpg, then convert it in the Silhouette software using the "Trace" function and cut it out.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-23-13 05:59 PM
In response to animemama

Letterpress is a manual process. For 'faux' letterpress (I understand people who do 'real' letterpressing think the hobby kits aren't real), you'll need a BigShot or QuicKutz machine with their letterpress sets.

Embossing as well is better with a manual machine, although some electronic machines can do it (I haven't seen any examples but my understanding is that it's not as crisp).

Stencils you can definitely make, I make short-term stencils just with cardstock. They don't last long with all the spraying and inking I do, but they work! Most machines can also cut thin plastic. Crafter's Workshop has template material, I haven't used it yet but it's on my wishlist.

I do create most of the shapes that I cut out. I have a Gazelle, which I love, but the Silhouette is a great machine as well.

Have you tried manually carving rubber to make your own stamp? Another thing I haven't done yet, but I understand it isn't very hard, at least for simpler images. I bought some rubber stamp blank sheets (from MisterArt, I think), so it's on my list of things to try in the very near future!

Oreety 
New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Thanks so much for the help and thoroughness... I currently own a Big Shot but felt so out of my league when purchasing the Silhouette. I did some research and apparently if I purchase and download the Studio Designer software upgrade, i'll be able to draw my own pictures, as well as import photos from other programs and mediums and convert into SVG. Mind you, I still don't really know what that means! hehe

Also, the bundle I purchased came with a replacement blade, a few glitter sketch pens and I believe the "Pick Me Up Tool". What other products would you recommend to have so I can get started?

Thanks again for providing me with so much information-- I'm excited to look at the Chomas adapter and into stamp carving blocks!

-O

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics