Username Post: Can you do this with your camera??        (Topic#1586307)
lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid

My step son is engaged.

His fiance wanted engagement pics taken.

They hung her engagement ring on a fishing hook at the end of two poles. She wants a clear pic of the ring and them in the background holding the poles, but she wants the ring in focus and the background including them blurred.

Can you do this with a camera or do you have to edit it in like photoshop??

I have a Canon Rebel XS.

Thanks for any help. Hope my question made sense.

Tracy Christine Funk
Guru
Tracy Christine Funk
In response to lilmrmaid

I'm not great with camera terminology but if your camera has an aperture priority mode, set the aperture to a low number. Focus the camera on the ring and the background should be blurry. You might have to use manual focus for this. I hope this helps.

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Tracy Christine Funk

thanks we will try that.

I tried playing with the manual mode yesterday and it wasn't working on my smaller camera.

Veteran
In response to lilmrmaid

The larger the aperture *the smaller the number* the more the background tends to be out of focus giving you bokeh.

Kit lenses are not that great at this since they are not that fast and their aperture tends to max out at F3.5 to F5.5. Fast glass like the nifty fifty F1.8 is better and if you have the money there is a F1.2L version but only pro's tend to be the ones that buy this since they can make the money back.

Distance between you and the subject and the subject to the background also plays a factor in this. This is one reason why a full frame camera is great to have and why thats on my list of things to get next. With a 1.6 crop body you have to be 60% further from the subject reducing the ratio of you to the subject and the subject to the background.

there is a formula for this but its not something I've ever memorized but should.

What lenses do you have?

Veteran
In response to GeraldFagan

also point and shoot cameras are harder to achieve great bokeh since the senors are smaller, I cant explain the science behind it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics