Username Post: distressed ink/help        (Topic#1586387)
bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I want to start using distressed ink on my pages to make them stand out. What do I buy besides the distressed ink? I don't know what to apply the ink with. Thanks for your help.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to bonprof

It helps to have some applicators, like eyeshadow applicators. You can buy ones made specially for inking, or just use regular eyeshadow applicators.

You can run the edge of whatever you're inking along the ink pad, or dab the ink pad against the thing you're inking, or dab the applicator on the ink pad and then use that to apply the ink.

here's one video; there are tons more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxGEFbG_APc

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to animemama

Thank you so much!!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-27-13 12:06 PM
In response to bonprof

Sometimes I also just swipe or tamp the ink pad directly on the paper. I've also used cotton balls, and wadded up tissue. You get a different effect with each.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to stick

option one: hold paper in one hand and pad in the other and gently swipe pad along the edge of the paper.

option two: use a cosmetic sponge to pick up ink from the pad and then swipe it along the edge of the paper.

There are more techniques than that, but that's a good place to start.

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to Hdubarry

I really enjoy the "Ranger Ink" applicator if I'm trying to create a solid/smooth application onto the page or onto the edges for that distressed look. But before I invested in the applicator I was using a foundation applicator (the wedge-shape) and it worked pretty well.
If you go to YouTube and search "Distress Ink Techniques" there are several different videos that show you different ways to use Distress Ink. The videos are what really sold me on buying some to play with because you can do so much with it!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to meshell1104

Glad to know all of this. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics