Username Post: Ripping and distressing        (Topic#1586389)
meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Hey all.
I really enjoy the distressed look but every time I try to rip/tear the paper I hate the way it turns out. I've seen layouts that have straight edges that are distressed and look awesome, but I can't seem to figure it out. Do you all just take sand paper to the edges of a clean cut paper?
Any tips/tricks for ripping and distressing the edges would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to meshell1104

There are different ways to do this. You could run the sharp edge of a pair of scissors along the edge of the paper you want to distress. For me, the easiest is the little distress tool that Tim Holtz put out, or there are several other distress tools.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Rosita

if you want a more controlled rip, take a paint brush and slightly wet the paper where you want it to tear.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Rosita

For a torn edge, I tend to tear a little at a time, making sure that I have the white core showing (or not) all along, so that I get a straight edge. You could also crease the paper first and tear along the crease. I haven't tried the wet paint brush trick - I must have a go at that.

If you mean distressing a straight edge, I just cut it using a normal trimmer, and use a thread cutter from the sewing department. They are exactly the same as the custom distressing tools, and much cheaper.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to RedSquirrel UK

When I want a straight ripped edge I take my metal straight edge and lay it on my paper like I was going to cut it but I rip it instead. This makes a nice straight rip.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to dorichatelain

You can buy sets of tearing rulers. They work really well.

Resident
In response to pinkpaperairedale

No rip scrapbook!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Wafatah

Yes, I use the TH distressing tool for the slightly frayed edges....
And I wet the paper to tear it for the completely torn look....

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

I don't usually tear paper, just distress it, which I just buy a little sanding block and sand the edges of my project.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics