Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New to the World of Scrapbooking        (Topic#1586409)
joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426

I only began scrapbooking last summer because I had hundreds of photos from a New York trip and I needed to do something with them. My walls are already covered in pictures, shadow boxes, and other things. At times, it's a bit daunting, especially since I'm a guy and this really seems to be a hobby geared more towards women. I will say at the recent Scrapbook Expo in Pleasonton, CA I attended (my first ever), everyone was super friendly and helpful. I just wanted tips on how to proceed with this new hobby of mine which seems to get weird looks from people when I mention I've taken it up.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 03-27-13 03:02 PM
In response to joshuaminh426

Welcome!There are a few guys on this site that scrap.Stick around and you'll "bump"into them.Most important have fun with this hobby You can see beautiful creations in the scrapbook forums and elsewhere.Have fun!

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to Bev1

Welcome to the land of scrapbooking! I don't understand why more guys don't scrapbook. It's just telling family stories, and lots of guys like to do that!
I think the flowers and cutesy embellishments and papers scare them away.
The best way to start? Just decide on a story you want to tell, or a photo you want to share.
Do you have any specific things you want to work on, or are you just looking for general guidance? There's lots of both here!

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Hdubarry

I'm finding more and more guys on this site. I think it's awesome. I like to tag them as a favorite artist so I can see what they create & post. It great to get creative inspirations from a masculine perspective.

Most guys start off scrapbooking because they discovered Tim Holtz products. Check out Tim Holtz videos on blogs on this site or on his website.

If you see someones work that inspires you, don't be afraid to private message them and ask questions. Most people on this site are very helpful and encouraging.

Oh, and welcome!

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to Lauri D

When I first started getting into this hobby I came to this website and just browsed through the layouts other people were creating. Seeing what experienced scrappers were creating really helped me pull ideas for how to approach my own layouts.
If you find one that you really like, you can copy the general layout of it for your own page, with whatever theme you're trying to create.
This website also has a "Scrap by color" page which is really neat if you're having a hard time coming up with color schemes. You can upload a picture and it'll suggest colors for you, or you can choose a color you want to work with and it will have several different schemes for colors to use along with it.
Hope this helps! Don't be afraid to just dive in a start creating. That's what I did and I saw a drastic improvement in my layouts in just a short time.

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to meshell1104

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm enjoying putting the books together. I'm still working on my New York trip - it's so far filling 3 books. I'm gathering all the materials now to begin working on a Disneyland book. I went with a good friend back in December.

The one thing I am worried about it beginning a Disney book while my New York one is still in progress. How do you keep everything sorted?

bonprof
Idol
bonprof

Welcome!! I suggest you sign up for a beginning class at your local craft shop or scrapbooking store. That will help a lot. Enjoy telling your stories.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to bonprof

Welcome!

I tend to label everything: I have one container for things related to my memorial album and another for my travel album. That way when I am looking to work on one project I know where all the stuff is for it. Then I put that stuff into a separate place if I want to switch to the other project.

You'll learn a lot as you keep working through it.

-Stephanie

Diva
In response to SJB1120

I use ArtBins to separate projects.

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to bayamonesa1

I have a bin filled with all my stuff and then a couple of piles of New York items and Disney items that are actually sitting on my fireplace. I really do have to do something better to make sure none of these things get ruined.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

shackney
New Kid On the Block
shackney

Welcome to the world of scrapbooking!

I am thrilled to see more guys getting involved. I'd love to see your work and interview you, if you are interested. If so, please contact me at shackney (at) papercrafterscorner (dot) com.

shackney
New Kid On the Block
shackney

Do you have your work posted anywhere?

Edited by shackney on 04-02-13 09:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

shackney
New Kid On the Block
shackney

Oh my, you would die if you saw my craft room/office! I always have at least a few different projects going at once and all the items for them are stacked together on the floor. I am a neat-freak so it does take some getting used to, but it means I can work on any project at any time because all my stuff is together.

I love using the clear 13x13 envelopes and the 13x13 Iris cases. Both are great for keeping items together and visible.

Steph

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

• joshuaminh426 Said:
I have a bin filled with all my stuff and then a couple of piles of New York items and Disney items that are actually sitting on my fireplace. I really do have to do something better to make sure none of these things get ruined.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Welcome! It is so nice to see more guys getting into this hobby. As a mother of boys I am hoping with more male influence we will see more boy/male geared supplies.

I met a Dad who was working on his three daughters books. I thought that was so awesome. His wife praised him for his creativity and passion for it. I think its important that this isn't just a one gender hobby.

As for organizing things......It sounds like you are here in Northern California, the local organizing stores have some great storage options. Kitchen items like silverware holders and containers can be helpful too as your supplies grow.

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to jaxxan

Again, thanks everyone for the help. I like scrapbooking because it allows me to be creative. I can't draw, sing, or dance, but I can create layouts that personally speak to me. I doubt I will ever get to the level of some of the page examples I have seen, but I am having a good time.

Shackney, I posted a real simple page I did in the galleries. I could post some others. Not sure I'm ready for critiques of my work, since I am still a bit wobbly with this.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

You did a great job on that page Joshua!

shackney
New Kid On the Block
shackney

I believe that most folks are very "kind" even when they critique layouts, but I have seen what you fear take place. I can't wait to check out your layout!
One thing to keep in mind is that everyone has their own style. And, often people will criticize those who don't create the way they do. It's important to note that there is no right or wrong way to create, scrap, make cards, etc. The joy, for most, is in the creating, trying new things. Some work out well, others don't. that's how we learn, right? I hope you'll continue on creating no matter what anyone may say about your work. All that matters is that YOU like it and enjoy the process. Happy creating!

shackney
New Kid On the Block
shackney
In response to shackney

Checked out your layout. Awesome!

I love that the focus is on the photos and the people. One thing you might try at some point is rounding off corners (but only if you like the way the photos look with the corners rounded! :)). A corner rounder is a great, inexpensive tool and can make quick work of creating separation between items. I often use it to round the corners on only one side of a photo or mat or piece of patterned paper - it creates a sense of this is where this thing ends and something else begins. KWIM? Thanks for being brave and posting your work. Remember, it's what YOU like and enjoy creating that is the MOST important thing. Have fun!

joshuaminh426
Resident
joshuaminh426
In response to shackney

Shackney, the layout I posted is truly one of the first I had ever done. Very simple & basic. Over the past 9 months or so, I feel I have gotten better at this & I have completely started experimenting with the photos. I have them now in all different shapes and sizes. I'm also getting better at cutting pictures up to focus on only one element. I used to think I had to use every aspect of the 4 X 6 photo. Not anymore.

Like I said, I'm getting more creative and learning more about what I want to see on my pages.

animemama
Veteran
animemama

I think it's awesome when guys take up scrapbooking! It's a great way to preserve your memories and your perspective on things. Try different things and find your own style, and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics