Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Tips on saving money for scrapbook supplies        (Topic#1586455)
Sky Scrapper
Tenant
Sky Scrapper

Here's a trick that I use because I'm thrifty. I buy the fake boquets of flowers and remove all the plastic stems and pieces that hold them together, when your finished your left with just the fabric flowers/leaves and they look like the ones you would buy specifically for scrapbooking that cost so much more. From one boquet I can get 20 flowers or more in different sizes and shapes, and depending on where I go (i.e. dollar store, walmart, etc) I may may have only spent $1-5. Of course when I'm in the scrapbook stores there are some flowers that I really love and just have to have , but for me I have to be able to justify the purchase by knowing that I can't find that style in a boquet. I also alter them some times by using things like glitter, ink, paint, etc. And when I'm finished with the stems I give them to my niece to use for her paper flowers that she makes. So really nothing goes to waste, it's a win win for me and my niece.

I would love to hear more advice on this topic. We all know embellisments can sometimes be expensive, and by the time I pay for bills, all the things my kid needs, all the rest that life throws at you sometimes the funds are limited for my hobby. So please share.

Edited by Onyx7280 on 03-28-13 05:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Sky Scrapper

I've done that too, well I should say I have not purchased any, but I "recovered" some from silk arrangments my mother had. She is in a nursing home now so I'm re-arranging. It's will be neat to have some of her flowers in my LO's.

I was interested that you give the stems to your niece to use. THAT is awesome. I am a very green person, so I really like to recycle and even better, find a way to reuse rather than throw away. Good Job!

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to CrimsonMama

I do the same thing with Dollar Store silk flowers. I also troll the clearance racks at all the big craft stores. I have also found myslef hitting the Goodwill stores. I have also started using things I find in my son's room that he has discarded...lol! I used some of his old playing cards for a mini album as well as a few game pieces. I am a preschool teacher so any time I can save money and cut corners I am on it.

Sky Scrapper
Tenant
Sky Scrapper
In response to Vallee

Thanks... I have a one year old daughter and I saved a few of her onsies and favorite clothes and i cut them up and used them in her baby book. I make embellishments out of them or use the fabric as matting, etc. I tried to coordinate the outfit with a pic of her in that outfit as well. I feel like I'm putting a piece of her in the book (does that make sense), it makes the page have that much more meaning and hopefully one day she'll appreciate it. I also used some of her clothes and cut letters out of the fabric and sewed them to a pink quilt changing pad that i used for her and hung it above her crib. I will give it her one day as a keepsake. I've always valued the idea of handmade verses store bought, when you put your heart into it, it becomes priceless.

Sky Scrapper
Tenant
Sky Scrapper

Does any one have any more ideas ... I would love to hear them.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

This is a popular subject but it hasn't come up in awhile.
Here are some links to past threads. Using Interesting non-traditional Materials in Scrapbooking

I am always on the lookout for things I can encorporate into scrapbooking especially cheaper options.

PS I feel bad that you didn't get a lot of responses and I would like to add...the key is to be on the lookout for non-organic, flat items that are not too heavy. Junk drawers often hold treasures that can be used as embellishments.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
This is a popular subject but it hasn't come up in awhile.
Here are some links to past threads. Using Interesting non-traditional Materials in Scrapbooking

Thanks for posting all the links Gelidy. I was actually hoping you would come by & spot this topic!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Here was my list, from the list above.

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15299...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

We had a yardsale over the weekend.

As I was trying to make the process of placing price stickers on everything a bit more organized, I couldn't help but notice how many extra stickers ended up with.

The majority of the ones that we almost never use are the MAKE OFFER stickers. I couldn't help but think that would be a cute title for a child's layout.

i.e. Child being naughty...an old ugly car...an extra goofy husband or annoying brother...dare I say, a messy, unorganized scraproom, etc! etc!...followed by an entire row of 'MAKE OFFER' stickers.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to KellyCali

This isn't an original idea whatsoever, but I love to take pictures of things that will make a great title. Just got back from the Dominican Republic, and I wrote lots of things in the sand and took pictures of them to make titles with. It saves time and gives the pages some uniformity for the book.

Resident

Check TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning,Odd Lots, Marshalls. I have gotten some great deals at these stores. MS paper packs for $4.99 instead of $20 plus and also MS punches for 2.99/3.99. Embellies such as buttons, brads, stickers for less than $1.00.

Keep your eyes open where you least expect to find something....I have found cute heart shapes or sayings on clothing tags.

I have found cotton swabs, cotton balls, little bottle misters, craft sticks, glitter, etc in the dollar bins and travel sections at target.

Always use the Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's coupons.

Resident
In response to stvmom2

I have an atg so when I get a Michael's or Joann's 50% off coupon I use it on an adhesive refill. Unless of course, I have a "need" for something else 50% off coupon worthy.

Purge your stash once a yr. We have a garage sale table at our monthly crops. Our big day is at our April Crop. We sell and buy from each other for great deals. This is a huge hit each month especially in April when we have 80+ in attendance.

The garage sale is a win-win...you can sell stuff you no longer use and you can buy items you can use for inexpensive. :-)

Craigslist is another great option.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SunshineScrapper1

Wow, does your Joann's still carry ATG refills? Mine hasn't had them in months.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

I save my scrap paper so I can use them for cards, punches, etc. I also make my own flowers from crochet, fabric and paper. I visit always the clearance racks prior paying with coupons. I love TJ Maxx, Ross, Tuesday Morning, and other stores for deals. I think outisde the box and check other departments for items that are inexpensive and that I can use in scrapbooking. I cut the ribbons from the gift bags to reuse in my scrapbooking.

Sky Scrapper
Tenant
Sky Scrapper
In response to bayamonesa1

I do the same with gift bags. I've even used the gift bag itself, cut it for mats, borders, etc. I was suprised you said Ross, I'm in there all the time trying to find great deals on clothes but never have I seen anything scrapbook related at the one in my town, I may have to look harder next time. And as for Tues morning ours closed down, I was dissapointed, that was the only reason I went in there. And I'm a coupon fanatic, I'm signed for every email subscription you can think of...lol. Punches are the one thing I would love to have more of but it's hard to find them on sale. I love the martha stewart punches but wish they were cheaper.

Sky Scrapper
Tenant
Sky Scrapper

Also yesterday at the Hobby Lobby in my town they had everything Paper Studios 50% off. I loaded up on stickers and bought a few paper pads that I've been waiting to go on sale. The best part was I didn't know they were having a sale when I went in there, I went to use my 40% off coupon, so I hit the jackpot. I was so happy, it was the highlight of my day...lol.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Onyx7280 Said:
I was suprised you said Ross, I'm in there all the time trying to find great deals on clothes but never have I seen anything scrapbook related at the one in my town, I may have to look harder next time.

It's often very hit or miss.

Some carry things. Some don't.

If you can find the journal section within the store, then you'll most likely be on the right track.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to bayamonesa1

• bayamonesa1 Said:
I love TJ Maxx, Ross, Tuesday Morning, and other stores for deals. I think outisde the box and check other departments for items that are inexpensive and that I can use in scrapbooking.

Just to add another to the list above, Marshall's (if you have one) is another store that often carries scrapbook supplies, paper, stickers, punches & scrapbook organizational supplies.

redheadgirl
Guru
redheadgirl
In response to KellyCali

I always find a package of Thickers at Marshalls they usually have punches in stock too.

Ask for the paper bags where you shop. I have a nice Eddie Bauer green bag waiting to be used.

I reuse tags from clothing purchases, you can cover up what you don't like, paint them, add flowers.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to redheadgirl

I make almost all my flowers,,,,,I cut them on my silhouette or with a spellbinders,,,,rolled flowers are so easy and there are tons of varieties now,,,,,and layered flowers are easy peasy and can be given dimension with a cheap ball stylus and some inked edges.

I can't remember the last time I BOUGHT flowers.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics