Username Post: It ain't easy scrapping me.        (Topic#1586467)
olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I have the hardest time scrapping self portraits, especially when it comes to titling and journaling. Every once in a while I like to do one because I think my daughters will love to have those captured memories of their mom someday. I just struggle so much with them that unfortunately they are few and far between. I'm wondering, does anyone else have this problem? Why is it so darn hard to scrap yourself? Any tips?

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to olleharr

Hmmmm, never done it. I'm in pictures in my scrapbooks, but never just a page about me. I can understand how you would feel struggled, it would make me feel a little narcissistic. I am sure your daughters would appreciate it! Just pretend you are scrapping someone else!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to t-scraps

I've done a rare one here and there for the same reasons as you, but it's always been a struggle. I feel like I'm being vain in scrapping myself and I don't want to make the page look too good because I'm afraid someone will say something stupid like well why'd you make yours so pretty and mine like this.

But...you do need to do it. Maybe try a BOM (book of me) and scrap different aspects of your character and hobbies. That way it isn't about your picture, but about your life...maybe a different perspective would help.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to StarsNSparkles

I don't have that issue, I actually like doing self-portraits because I can put my entire personality on the page.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Manda_K

Yeah, I have no problems scrapping about myself.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

I'm planning an entire album about me, LOL!
I figured that I would LOVE to have an album about my mother's life so I plan on doing one for my son....
I will do pages about my childhood, the stuff I grew up with (technology etc.), my hobbies, my dreams, my personality and some advice for my son....
I haven't done one of the pages yet...I'm scanning old photos right now so we'll see how hard it is.
I don't think I'll have trouble, though....it's like I'm writing to my son....

Alison

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to kiyawinn

I do pages more about events, rather than people. But yeah, it can be hard to scrap about yourself sometimes. Especially if your photos aren't the greatest, lol. I was having a super fun night with friends and we took pictures at the end of the evening and when I got home I found that my single glass of wine with dinner had made my face completely red and no amount of editing would fix it.

Just focus on your daughters looking back over these pictures and remembering their mom. Scrap the pages for them and think about what you want them to think about and feel when they look at your pages.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-29-13 04:17 PM
In response to HappyCat

Lisa, are your daughters old enough that they could help with ideas? Maybe you could ask them each to suggest a topic/title...maybe there's something they'd like to know more about you? A story you could tell?

Another idea is to do pages about "when I was your age" and tell about different things in your life from before they were born.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Vae

Thanks everyone. Always good to get some fresh perspective and know you're not alone. Jarvae my daughters are grown. I was always camera shy as they were growing up. Not too many of me back then mostly because I was behind the camera. I've been trying to make it up by doing a page once in a while of just me. It strikes me as strange that I had no problem at all journaling for a page of my husband but when it comes to mine I can't find the words. Maybe you're right T-scraps, it does feel a little narcissistic and it's hard to work past it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

I've never scrapped anything about myself. I don't really think I'm that interesting so a page about me would be very boring!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

Maybe it's easier if you think of it as a history thing....do pages about the toys when you were little, the technology, the house you grew up in, what school was like, what you wanted to be when you grew up, what you ended up doing as a career, what you would say to your young self now, what you learned from dating, your favourite thing about school, things you would do over, hobbies, favourite foods, how the world has changed.....
I think it's a wonderful thing to leave to your children! As I mentioned before....how would you feel if you had such an album from your mother, telling how she grew up and how she felt about things??

Henri! No one is boring....the stories you tell are about yourself in many ways...at the very least, they are YOUR perspective on things. They probably tell more about yourself than you think.
I've heard some of the stories about your life and you are NOT boring!

Alison

Somewhere in Time
Mayor
Somewhere in Time
In response to kiyawinn

When my grandmother passed away I was lucky to get her scrapbook. It was all about her, full of poems she wrote, her thoughts, things special to her, etc. This book means the world to me! I learned so many wonderful things about her that I would have otherwise never known.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics