Username Post: Need help....        (Topic#1586499)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

With a toy from the 70s....
I can't think of the name of this thing but it was a disc that you put around your ankle, had a rope attached with a ball on the end and you swung and jumped over it.....
Anyone remember?

Thanks!
Alison

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to kiyawinn

We had a Lemon Twist. Went around the ankle and had a lemon on the end and you made it spin around the one ankle while jumping over it with the other foot.

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to justowen

That was one of my favorite toys! I think it was called a Skip-It or something like that. My niece has one and when I visit her I love to use it -- it's a great workout!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to provinca

In the '80s we had a similar toy called a Skip-It, which had a counter in the ball to count how many times it swung around.

Edit: Ah, per Wikipedia, it wasn't until the '90s re-release of the toy that the counter was added. The toy from the '60s that would have been around in the '70s was indeed called "Lemon Twist."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip-It

Edited by aquabunny on 03-29-13 02:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

Thank you!
I remember Skip-it....I don't actually remember Lemon Twist but my Skip-it didn't have a counter in the ball....maybe there were different versions?

Anyway, thank you! Off to google it for a photo....

Alison

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Thank you!
I remember Skip-it....I don't actually remember Lemon Twist but my Skip-it didn't have a counter in the ball....maybe there were different versions?

Anyway, thank you! Off to google it for a photo....

Alison

Like I said, it wasn't until it was re-released in the '90s that it started having a counter. Before that it was just a ball on a tether (plastic or otherwise) with an ankle cuff.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
In the '80s we had a similar toy called a Skip-It, which had a counter in the ball to count how many times it swung around.

Edit: Ah, per Wikipedia, it wasn't until the '90s re-release of the toy that the counter was added. The toy from the '60s that would have been around in the '70s was indeed called "Lemon Twist."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip-It

Well, what I was trying to explain was that "lemon twist" was not something I remember at all....and mine did not have a lemon on the end of it.
Your post was saying that the one that would have been around in the seventies was the "lemon twist"...again, not one that I remember.

The "Skip-it" was what I remembered but your post made it sound as if it was not what was around in the 70s.....
Misunderstanding, I guess...

Alison

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-29-13 06:40 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Aww I remember my skip-it Man, what in the world was I thinking... it was so much fun back then. Now it just looks like a lot of exercise. LOL!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Vae

I remembered it being called a "Skip-It," too. I loved mine. I had to do it old-school, though, and count my own skips

I spent HOURS playing with mine. No wonder I was such a skinny kid!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to kiyawinn

hey Alison..I had one too. Tons of people have boards on Pinterest of childhood memories. You will find these there with photos. Just search Pinterest for childhood memories, vintage toys, 70s toys, 80s toys etc.
I have a board of that too. You can check it out. Mine is titled childhood memories. just search me & then for that board

Edited by anda11 on 03-29-13 09:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

Thanks Linda!
I'm doing a scrapbook page for my BOM about my childhood toys.....
I've been trying to get photos of some of them for the page!

Alison

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to kiyawinn

Alison, before Pinterest..I got lots of pics of my toys on ebay or google images. There were thousands of images. 70s toys for example Ebay had lots of mine too.
When you get done with toys....most people have everything from then. Like hair products, make up, perfume, dishes, cookware, places we went, furniture, tv shows, ads from then, mens cologe, things from or at school..just anything.

Most things I want to scrap..I do not have a photo. this has made working on my bom so much fun.

My dear aunt got me a shoe box for my birthday that was full of cool hair stuff that I loved. brush curlers with the pink pins, foam curlers that snapped together, hair tape that was pink I think, hairbrush, comb (probably stanly) & barrettes & dippity doo. lol
That was a fav gift but I do not have a pic.
On pinterest I found all of those products so I can print them & make a page.

Edited by anda11 on 03-30-13 12:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

OH ALISON...most of my pins are missing from that board. Things that I knew were there are gone. I think i had 2 pages too. I know they are working on it. They are using a beta version for awhile. Maybe they will xcome back. I have seen on another bb that this was happening to people. Then sometimes they came back later. I hope so.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

Yes, that's what I've been doing...googling all the stuff from my childhood.
I just couldn't remember the name of this particular toy....
I got slinky, easybake oven, etch-a-sketch, spirograph, gumby&pokey, pet rock etc....

Dippity Doo! I remember that!
That' probably what was in my hair in those pics with my hair standing on end!

Alison

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to kiyawinn

Wow! I had one too and haven't thought about it in ages. I remember my friends and I trying to beat each others records jumping hundreds of times over that little lemon. I need one now....sounds like great excercise to me!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics