Username Post: How (or do you?) use 8x8 and 6x6 pads?        (Topic#1586513)
Misti_Delaney
Resident
Misti_Delaney

Lately it seems that 6x6 and 8x8 are the most available sizes of paper pads. 12x12 seems increasingly to come only "by the sheet". Being a not overly attentive person, I had several of the smaller sized pads in hand from online orders before I started to notice.

They're beautiful - but I'm not sure how to sue them. They're rather large for cards and quite small for scrapbook pages. Is everyone suddenly doing small formal scrapbooks? Or am I missing something?

Do you know?

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Misti_Delaney

I love using 6x6 for mini albums and cards. The smaller print scale appeals to me more than cutting down a 12x12. I also use the scraps along with my 12x12s on layouts. 8x8 is great for larger mini albums and still great for cards.

Just cut it up and use it, Girlfriend!

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys

If you trim a 6"x6" sheet to 5.5"x4.25" you get a standard size (A2) piece of paper that fits perfectly as a card background. The leftover (0.5"x1.75") can be used as an accent strip of paper either int he same card (if it's double sided paper) or in another card altogether. There are many great examples of cardmakers using 6"x6" pads out there.

As for scrapbookers, you can definitely use 6x6 sheeets in your designs. Here are a few examples of how you can use 6x6 pads on your layouts:

feeding the geese {A Walk Down Memory Lane DT} By Amarilys

desserts at Epcot {A Walk Down Memory Lane DT} By Amarilys

"the door of my heart is always open for you" {Heartfelt Creations DT} By Amarilys

For scrapbook pages, look for designs that have many layers, preferably 6" of smaller but you can also do bigger ones (see my blog for how I made the first layout). I love the challenge of using 6x6 papers in my 12x12 scrapbook pages! Again, if you google this, you will get a lot of examples online!
good luck playing with 6x6 papers!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Amarilys

cards and minibooks here,,,,,but that's pretty much all I do LOL

but layers are a fabulous idea for 12x12 pages!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Amarilys

I use mine on cards, lo, mini albums, and altered art projects. I love the smaller scale of the designs.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to andrea m

Some designs, for example some of the bigger Basic Grey ones, I much prefer in 6x6 or 8x8 scale because they are less "in your face".

I use them on LOs, put together with the photos, ribbon, embellishments, journalling spots etc. covering the joins.

I love using them on cards, and if I have any strips left over (and who hasn't got a billion strips? ) they get punched with border punches like scallops, and used on LOs.

If you have a pattern that you really don't like, or is far too big for a page, use it to mat your photos for extra interest around the edges, without the factor.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to RedSquirrel

I use them for layering on the 12 x 12 LOs I do.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to prittb

If you take 4 or 5 of your fave sheets you can layer and make amazing layouts....I love using 6 x6's on my 12 x 12.....also check out the video's on the veggie board shemelle makes several layouts with 6 x 6

Nicole2112
Pro
Nicole2112
In response to Sneezy1956

I'm big into layering right now and that's how I use these! But I generally start my scrapbook page with a solid cardstock base so these work very well for me.

LelaScraps-n-Stamps
Guru
LelaScraps-n-Stamps
In response to Nicole2112

Interesting! I use mine for cards as I like I can make 2-3 and have very little scraps left and more variety.

Very fun ideas for layering on scrap pages though, I'll have to try that

Edited by LelaScraps-n-Stamps on 03-30-13 08:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to LelaScraps-n-Stamps

Same as pp....I use them for cards and for layouts...I love 6x6 pads!
The print on a 6x6 or 8x8 pad, is scaled down so they are perfect for coordinating on layouts.

I use them to mat photos, layer, make banners, diecuts etc....
You can cut into a 6x6 pad for cheaper and not use a whole 12x12 sheet...
And, they fit perfectly through the BigShot (6 in. opening)....

Alison

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:

And, they fit perfectly through the BigShot (6 in. opening)....

Alison

THANKS for the idea!

Misti_Delaney
Resident
Misti_Delaney
In response to scrapchica

Thank you so much, everyone!

I feel silly because so many of the ideas sound so...well, obvious! I'll plan to try layering tomorrow!

Another question - when you intend to layer them, are they an addition to 12x12 paper by the same designer or over plain card stock?

I hadn't noticed the difference in scale until you mentioned it - then I checked out the one set I had both sizes for. Now I am very excited! It's not just smaller - it's new variations in some cases! How cool!

Again, thank you SO much, everyone! You're wonderful.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I use what ever I have I use same lines different what ever. I make a lot of cards but I love to layer them on layouts. Like I said I go for colors or designs not so much lines!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• Misti_Delaney Said:
Thank you so much, everyone!

I feel silly because so many of the ideas sound so...well, obvious! I'll plan to try layering tomorrow!

Another question - when you intend to layer them, are they an addition to 12x12 paper by the same designer or over plain card stock?
I hadn't noticed the difference in scale until you mentioned it - then I checked out the one set I had both sizes for. Now I am very excited! It's not just smaller - it's new variations in some cases! How cool!

Again, thank you SO much, everyone! You're wonderful.

I sometimes use the same line but not often....example below, I think I used My Mind's eye, Fancy Pants and Echo Park....
I just match colours and patterns...whatever works! Have fun with it!

Halloween 2010 By Kiyawinn

Alison

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to kiyawinn

I just bought several for their smaller designs to use in mixed media art projects. I am just starting an art journal and like the idea of smaller patters than are on 12x12

Misti_Delaney
Resident
Misti_Delaney
In response to terrihooper

Amarilys and kiyawinn,

Thank you so much for your examples. They're very helpful!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics