Username Post: Has Anyone Redone An Old Scrapbook?        (Topic#1586579)
crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Has anyone ever redone an old scrapbook? Ten years or so ago I did my first scrapbook. It was a pet scrapbook, and I did a terrible job on it. I even put pictures on the actual pages of the scrapbook. I was looking through it and really like the pictures and would like to have them nicely done. I don't know how to remove the pictures. Could I do this somehow with Un-Glue? The pictures were put in with Creative Memories photo splits. I don't have a local scrapbook store to go to for help.

This may be a terrible idea, and I was just curious if anyone had done it. Maybe I should just keep it as a nice memory of when it was done.

Thanks,

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to crichards1

I have several books where I attached the paper and photos to the actual pages (this was before I was using page protectors). One of them I had to partially redo because of water damage, but I left it pretty much the same. More recently, I went through a similar album from about ten years ago where a lot of the glue stick had loosened, but I was just re-sticking everything using better adhesive.

But Un-Du should take care of the photo splits.

samaclean
Tenant
samaclean

My dad made a scrapbook for me as a child. But it was on construction paper and I could already tell that things were getting damaged. I did take the pictures off and remount them (after scanning them) to new paper. To keep the journalling I cut those pieces out and laminated them so that I could preserve his handwriting and sentiment. I kept the layouts the same way he had them.
I have pages I have done that I keep thinking I would like to change, but on the other hand, those pages show how my style has evolved, so I kind of don't want to either.
Can you get new copies of the pictures and do them again?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-01-13 06:38 AM
In response to samaclean

It really will depend on what adhesive you used. Sometimes you can just peel them right off, especially if the paper is really fiber-y (to me some of the older papers seem fuzzy and that helps). If you used a liquid glue, I've found that a lot of those don't want to let go of the pictures. Sometimes you can take a piece of dental floss and get it under the edge of the picture and then pull it down to kind of release it, but you want to try this on one of the least important pics just in case it doesn't work.

If you can't get reprints from negatives, I would probably take the pages somewhere and scan them in at high quality and see if you can get good quality reprints first. I know un-du is supposed to work, but I would still be careful about using it since it's hard to know how it will react with older photos, older adhesives, etc.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Vae

try a little undo and coated dental floss but before you do that take the best pictures you can of the pictures themselves or better yet if you have a scanner, scan them.

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I love this topic! I started scrapbooking in 2001, but did not really "get serious" until 2005. I took out all albums the other day and was kind of horrified at my style back then. I wanted to redo everything! But I realize that it is all a growing process. All of my pages have protectors and are safe so I won't redo them. My hat is off to you for redoing your album.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to bonprof

I wish there was a "like" button for this page!!!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Juansmom

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm thinking that I probably won't do this. Nothing is coming unglued, and I used page protectors.

Like Bonprof said, I can just consider it a learning experience.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-02-13 11:38 AM

Another thought, if you don't have too many stickers and things on your pics, you could just cut them with the paper they are glued to (just right up to the pic so the paper can't be seen) and use them that way.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

UnDu will work on any kind of adhesive and on stickers.
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to CrimsonMama

I think if I started to re-do pages after a period of time because my skills had improved or my taste had changed I'd be doing it forever!

Personally I think that's a slippery slope I wouldn't want to start going down

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to scrappercaz

• scrappercaz Said:
I think if I started to re-do pages after a period of time because my skills had improved or my taste had changed I'd be doing it forever!

Personally I think that's a slippery slope I wouldn't want to start going down

this

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to scrappercaz

Carolyn, that's a great point. Last night I rematted a couple of pictures in the scrapbook I'm doing now. Just doing that took quite a bit of time. I think I've decided not to redo the scrapbook I was asking about. It does have happy memories and reminds me of how much I've evolved in my skills.

JL56 
Tenant
  • JL56 on 04-03-13 07:32 AM

I have recently redone 2 LO 's some of the bits were falling off, only found out because I was reorganising my albums into themes.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to JL56

I am a firm believer in "if there is something in your scrapbook that bugs you, change it!" Everything is a "work in progress" and I often go back and adjust things.

If you really want to change your entire album, I would like to give you another option... scan the originals and then make the changes digitally. It may be as simple as mating the photos and changing the background. Just give the album a fresh look not completely redoing everything.

Where I caution you in getting to hung-up redoing the past and spending HOURS redoing pages and second guessing everything. It is so easy to get caught up in trying to create perfection which can result in burning yourself out. Think seriously about your time commitment to this project. Do you really have the time to redo the album and more importantly do you want to spend your time redoing the entire album? Maybe it would only take creating a couple pages to jazz things up.

So that’s my two cents, think about the possibility of redoing the album digitally and/or maybe redoing only a couple pages freeing you up to spend your time on bigger & better things.

PS I was writing this before I saw your latest post. Glad to hear your not afraid to revisit pages & make a few changes but I am also glad to hear you decided to keep the original album.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics