Username Post: please help with utee and melting pot        (Topic#1586755)
chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000

Newbie here. I am trying to make tiles using transparant UTEE, my new ranger melting pot and a silicone ice cube tray. My tiles are all coming out yellowed, not transparant and also full of bubbles. Is there hope for me?
Products Referenced in This Post:

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to chiller2000

I think your utee is getting too hot. It doesn't come out crystal clear, but I do know the more it's heated, the more it will "burn if you will" and turn yellow.

Heat it till it will just pour in to your mold. Use your spatula to gently stir it around and you can tell if it's melted enough to pour.
You just have to keep playing with it. Re melt it if your not happy. I've only played with it a few times. It definitely takes way re utee thank thought it ever would.

Stirring a little helps it to melt more even. But don't stir in air bubbles.

I have some pieces that I've remelted like 5-7 times that are getting darker. I stored them in a Baggie and will use them when I use the tints too.

I poured onto craft sheet and stuck a SILICONE stamp stamped in black ink, then immediately stuck it in the utee your poured in craft mat. You have to move fast. Let the stamp set there until it cools enough to peel off and I trim sides while it's warm. But it is cool. I learned that on utube.

The texture treads are fun. You can find a couple of videos from CHA that were good. Have fun!

chiller2000
New Kid On the Block
chiller2000
In response to SherylEb

That's very helpful advice. I have been turning the pot to UTEE setting and then getting distracted. I guess I better limit 'the pot' to a more alone time.
Thanks so much for the help and advise, I'll try the stamp technique. Wish me luck.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to chiller2000

I watched a video on utube that said she turned the heat setting a little bit back from the UTEE mark. I found out the best way is to have every thing ready as soon as it is melted so that it doesn't have time to discolor. I also found out that if my flowers were inked on the edges, the ink will discolor it too. Now I save those for last.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics