Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you find your patterned papers?        (Topic#1586767)
New Kid On the Block

So I have years worth of patterned papers, but I have no idea what they are because they are all stored away in cropper hopper paper holders, and paper files within them. I also have forgotten what I have bought. I want to make scrapbooking faster, but it takes me forever to go through my inventory of papers to find the right ones for my layouts.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to store, or organize them to make for easier retrieval? I kind of wish there was a system kind of like digital supply organizing methods with programs such as ACDsee where you could see all your papers you've purchased on the screen, and mix and match, but I guess that's only in the digi-world!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to scrappycarol1

Do you have storage space for your paper in a room, or do you have to keep it packed up? I live in an apartment and must keep mine packed up. I am also reorganizing my paper and putting them into Daisy Mate 12 x 12 oganizers (Creative Memories). It was suggested to me to organize by colors, so that's what I am doing. I will be putting all my cardstock into a seperate file.When I get ready to work on a project, I pull all the paper I will use and put it in a 12 by 12 case along with the embellishments and other things I need. Otherwise, I am completely overwhelmed. I hope this helps.

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt

How do you scrap? Collection, theme, mix & match?
I scrap 99% of the time by collection so that is how I organize my papers. I use flat storage bins and I have them separated by theme first, then collection. I keep all my manufactures together, too. Example: I have several bins that I keep my girl themed paper in. In the bin they are broken down by collection such as all my Echo Park Sweet Girl is kept together(embellies and all) and all my other Echo Park Paper girl collections are in the same bin.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to suezhunt

I organize my papers in sterile, plastic drawers.

- First by color (solids).
- Then, by manufacturer.
- And then by theme or current projects.

If you organize how you scrap (whether by theme, projects in the works, etc.) it will prove easier to find the paper that you need & want to use vs. having to dig or search through a massive stack.

Hope That Helps!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to KellyCali

I do several things. Cardstock goes in my paper cubes that have dividers for paper in them.
Next I have sterilite 3 plastic drawer things that are big enough for 12x12 paper. I put glitter paper in one.
Some are by category. School, sports, each holiday has a drawer, Kids, baby etc. I put all the paper, stickers, ribbon, chipboard for that category in the drawer. Then I label them. I had a ptouch but you can also use labels that you write on.
I also have some drawers for collections too. I have lots of heritage drawers. some are collections with chipboard, jewells, doilys, stickers, alphas, papers in w\the collection iin the same drawer. Some are by maker..like october afternoon.. I just put all of their stuff in the same drawer like journal thins, stickers, brads etc.
These drawers are so cool. They are white but drawers are kinda clear. They are easy to pull out & look at what you have. You do not miss anything. If you squeeze the backs,They pull out easily so you can take them to your table to work or plan things or see what you have.
I also have a few drawers to hold pages in progress. Pages that need put in album. Pages I am planning too.

New Kid On the Block
In response to anda11

Thanks for all the ideas, I mainly scrapbook by colors, and then maybe by theme. I have my papers divided into the Cropper Hopper files, but am still having trouble seeing what I have, it doesn't help I have such a big collection. I also have it all in my bedroom, because I have no extra room with 3 kids.

I read an idea about making scrapbook kits, by going through your supplies, and making kits out of them..matching papers, embellishments, ribbons, etc. That way you have pre-packaged layouts ready to go that coordinate.

Edited by scrappycarol1 on 04-06-13 09:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

I use the Cropper Hopper also. I have my patterned paper that is in collections in the Cropper Hopper Page Arrangers. Other patterned paper I just keep together and separate from my solid color paper with a page divider. I keep all of this in a Sterlite file crate that you would get at Wal-Mart.

Why don't you just get another Cropper Hopper to expand your organization? Maybe you could keep your solid color paper in one and your patterned in another.

Edited by crichards1 on 04-06-13 10:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902

• scrappycarol1 Said:

I read an idea about making scrapbook kits, by going through your supplies, and making kits out of them..matching papers, embellishments, ribbons, etc. That way you have pre-packaged layouts ready to go that coordinate.

I really like this idea!

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom

My patterned paper is sorted by predominant color. I also keep several "kits" made up with coordinating card stock. I tend to think color first. Think about how you scrap and arrange it to make that easier. At one time, I kept a huge stash of pp and decided I didn't like or wouldn't use most of it, after a big purge/donation, I now buy more carefully only things I know I will use and with a specific project in mind.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I have my cardstock in Cropper Hoppers in a little shelf/cube thing that stores them perfectly upright. I store them by ROYGBIV, but I don't separate out the distressable cs from the Bazzill. My DCWV are stored in a Cropper Hopper separately, in case I want to use a coordinated line. And my cat paper, since I scrap my cats a LOT, is in another Cropper Hopper. But the rest of my pp is in horizontal divider shelves (that they sell here, btw) and I've got it separated by dots, stripes, florals, geometric, etc. It really works that way for me instead of separating it by color. I never can decide whether to store it by background color or overall design color. Too much thinking for my poor little brain! But I do have 12x12 IRIS drawers that are labeled by holiday (Christmas, Easter, Valentine's, Autumn, Halloween, etc.) that I keep that specific paper in. I also keep my wooden stamps, clear stamps, embellies, and other pertinent things in the drawer with the holiday stuff. Makes finding what I need a snap.

But then again I don't have nearly as much as some do and can store it pretty handily this way. Good luck with your organizing!! It's one of my favorite parts of scrapping - you never can tell what treasure you might find when you organize!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I take quick photos of all of my pattern papers and have the images loaded on my computer & iphone. I just refered to my images last week, when I was in the LSS. Turned out I had a similar paper not the exact paper I was looking at in the LSS so I bought it.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, photographing everything, but it goes really fast and sometimes I just photograph the entire series in one photo.

Then when I want to look through my papers for a project, I look through the images. Sometimes I do grab different combinations that would have never occured to me.
And while I am looking at my images, I just delete the ones I used.
This method, looking at photos, really eliminated a lot of wear & tear on the actual paper.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I use the 12x12 hanging folders and have them tabbed mainly by category, i.e. children, male, outdoors, and the various holidays, etc. That way I go immediately to that folder when I'm working on a LO. Some don't have specific categories, and I file those by primary color.

Diva
In response to dwelch

Either way, I will buy if I like it. Can be separate, as a collection or a paperpad. It doen't matter to me.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to bayamonesa1

I used to have four cropper hoppers full of patterned paper. That may not be a lot to some but it was a huge, overwhelming amount for me. I could never remember what I had and needed.
So I carefully went through and weeded out three cropper hopper things of patterned paper. I knew deep down I'd never use the paper since most of it was the big huge packs of DCWV where they give you three sheets at a time.
I used to organize by color and then overall pattern. That system worked for where I was scrapping at the time. Now since I have a different system for scrapping, I sort by theme and then by manufacturer.
I really like Gelidy's method of taking pictures of what you have. Then you organize into folders into your system.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 04-08-13 08:10 PM
In response to fknapoleon

i store my patterned paper on a wire paper rack by theme

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to timon

I'm a paper snob and know most of my lines really well. So I sort by company BG, American Craft what ever and then by line. I can tell you within one or tow minutes what line something is scrapped with. So I usually have a pretty good idea of what I have at any one time. I have probably close to 20 inches of patterned paper but can tell you what I'm hunting for So I guess what I'm trying to say is if you know your lines really well sort by lines.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Sneezy1956

Paper Snob. What a hoot!

I have a Excel spreadsheet of my paper inventory, all of the pads, kits, printed collection. The spreadsheet is for shopping, so I don't duplicate.

All of my pads are standing like books on a shelf. I have two of these Cropper Hopper for single sheet paper and kits.

I frequently browse through it. I know it well because I can easily flip through everything. I always start with the photo and that brings certain paper to mind. It only takes seconds to find what I want.

There is know way I would photograph it all now. Maybe if I started from day one.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Sneezy1956

Paper Snob. What a hoot!

I have a Excel spreadsheet of my paper inventory, all of the pads, kits, printed collection. The spreadsheet is for shopping, so I don't duplicate.

All of my pads are standing like books on a shelf. I have two of these Cropper Hopper for single sheet paper and kits.

I frequently browse through it. I know it well because I can easily flip through everything. I always start with the photo and that brings certain paper to mind. It only takes seconds to find what I want.

There is know way I would photograph it all now. Maybe if I started from day one.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CrimsonMama

Hey I am I admit it

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I store my pp that are mostly one colour, with my cardstock by colour in wood shelving (see below)

I also store themed papers in the Iris plastic containers (from Ms).....I put all my Christmas papers, for instance, in a bin along with all my Christmas stamps, embellishments etc...so that all my themed stuff is together. I do the same for Birthday and Halloween stuff....
Whenever I'm doing a birthday or christmas or halloween layout or card, I just have to pull out one bin and everything I need is inside...

Paper Storage By Kiyawinn

Alison

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics