Username Post: Scrapbooking Business        (Topic#1586831)
lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100

Have any of you formed a scrapbooking business? How do you operate the business. Where do you advertise? How much do you charge? I would like to do albums for people locally we have lots of pictures but no interest in scrapping. My thought is that I would consult with them to find out their likes, tastes and needs for the book. I have no idea what to charge since the costs of the materials alone are expensive. My sister in law approached me yesterday when she saw the album I had made for my mother and wanted me to do an album for her daughter who has been doing gymnastics since she was two and also a Bat Mitzvah album for the same daughter. I am only going to charge her for materials, and maybe use her as a source of business. Any other ideas, particularly what to charge?

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to lgtaylor100

I think what might be best is to come up with an hourly wage type deal, or perhaps an amount per page, in addition to the cost of materials. That way they are only paying "extra" for your time (in terms of they would have to buy the materials themselves).

I have never charged anyone for an album, but I did make an album in remembrance of a classmate who died and people used to donate $5 to the page that I did for them and their memories.

I think if I were to do this for others I would charge by the page because some pages take longer than others but ultimately the time evens out. But that's just my two cents.

Good luck!

-Stephanie

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to lgtaylor100

somewhere along the way…I watched a popular scrapbooking tv show that covered this subject "making scrapbooks for pay".
The biggest things I took away from watching it was "make sure you have a signed contract in place that specifically list the costs and the deliverables". And to "schedule at least 3 consultation sessions with your client". Show them what you intend to do & discuss, show them a few pages work-in-progress & discuss (in a pinch could be done through e-mail photos), and finally give them a “last look”. These sessions prevent really obvious errors (like misspelling someone’s name) and help to identify potential issues. Some people even have the person join them when they pick out & buy the supplies so there is no clash over the co$t or style of materials.

The biggest challenge is educating someone on how much the material co$t! This is always a real shocker! And how long it takes. Another real shocker. Avoid vague statements like the “materials will be around…” or “a page usually takes me…”
And finally, keep-in-mind “just cause you like it doesn’t mean your client will”. It’s tough to approach this as a business and stay objective. ESPECIALLY if it's for family. Sometimes it's just easier to consider it a gift (a mega multiple holiday gift).

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics