Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Anyone else get back pain from scrapbooking?        (Topic#1586853)
HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat

I've been scrapbooking for about an hour and my shoulders, neck, upper and lower back are all in pain. This happens whenever I scrapbook for a long time. Anyone else have this?

Anyone know how to get rid of this? I'm pretty fit and don't have major health problems. I've always had back and neck pain with scrapbooking, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last few years.

Please help!

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to HappyCat

Sounds like a job for a good chiropractor or a better massage therapist. I can recommend Sven

Seriously, unless you're standing up and leaning over to scrapbook, you shouldn't be getting that kind of pain.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-09-13 12:59 PM
In response to meezerpleaser

I would take a serious look at your ergonomics - how you're standing or sitting, what kind of chair you're using, how you reach for things and bend, how high you have to lift your hands and arms to work, etc. Also make sure you're not sitting for long periods.

Proper posture and body movement should make all the difference in the world!

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to stick

I'm going to get a massage next month, but that's a treat for me, not a regular thing, lol.

I'm sitting at the kitchen table. Everything I'm working on is right in front of me. Not standing or reaching to get anything. I have been sitting, but it's only been for about an hour.

I did some stretching and that helped a little, but when I sat back down, the pain started up again.

I have large breasts. I'm wondering if that could be it...

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to stick

Not so much back pain, but paper and other assorted cuts, staples, hammering my finger, poking myself with a needle, etc! lol

Make sure you get up and walk around, check the ergonomics, which has already been suggested.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to meezerpleaser

• meezerpleaser Said:
Sounds like a job for a good chiropractor or I can recommend Sven

LOL!

If Sven is unavailable, I'd suggest getting up every 15 minutes and stretching. Do some shoulder shrugs/rolls, wave your arms about, twist, stretch some, gently move your head left and right and up and down. That always helps me. And then call Sven.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 04-09-13 01:41 PM
In response to gin1902

Sorry to say......but is is the boobs! I have the same problem. NO snickering from the smaller endowed girls, lol. Rest those puppies on the table!

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to charK

• charK Said:
Sorry to say......but is is the boobs! I have the same problem. NO snickering from the smaller endowed girls, lol. Rest those puppies on the table!

You know, it totally never occurred to me that it might be my boobs. Then I was paging through Facebook and one of my friends had a reduction last year and suddenly a light bulb went off.

Going to the doc tomorrow to see what can be done. I was determined to finish my pages so I stuck it out and now am in agony. so much pain.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-09-13 01:52 PM
In response to charK

• charK Said:

THIS.

LOL I have the same problem so I figure I can snicker along too but I do this all the time when I'm sitting.

Also, make sure you have a good chair. Kitchen chairs are horrible for me... they aren't the right height and they are usually not sloped at all. I have a seat cushion that I use which is designed to relieve pressure on the lower back. It's slightly sloped which is much better for you, and has a cutout at the back to reduce pressure on your tailbone.

Also, try switching to the kitchen counter for some things. Move your cutting area to the counter so that you have a reason to get up often and standing at the counter helps too since it's higher.

For the neck, since you're pretty much constantly looking down onto your work surface, you need to remember to do some stretches often. I had to do something to remember this so any time I get up to change my music or channel (whatever I'm listening to at the time) I stretch my neck and roll my shoulders.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Vae

I have this same problem and don't have large boobs. I'm a B cup. I have the same problem sitting at my computer, too. I can't stand to sit here much more than 15 minutes. When I'm scrapbooking I get so involved that I don't stretch or get up and move around. I'm going to start consciously trying to remember to do that.

It's no fun when this happens while doing something that's so enjoyable for us.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to crichards1

I agree. I don't think I could ever scrap at my dining room or breakfast tables...unless I found different chairs that would be the right height. The chairs are great for dining, but my back and shoulders ache when I try to do a project on them. My scrap chair is adjustable and I sometimes have to re-adjust it to get it just right...not sure why I have to readjust. I would really like to get one of those really nice ergonomic chairs, though. (Could you remind my husband of that before NSD and Mom's day? :D)

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to justowen

I lift heavy weights to prime myself for scrapbooking

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to runzalot81

depend on if i'm leaning over alot. i got a good office chair with back support

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

I get this way if I scrap and/or sit for too long. Take frequent breaks to stretch and move around.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to charK

• charK Said:

LOL! HEARD THAT!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to scrapchica

I can't comment on the boobs because I'm a fried egg girl myself.

But maybe one of your problems is actually because everything is to hand - you don't have to get up and move around? I deliberately keep lots of things further than arm's length away so that I have to get up and move - under the table, up on shelves, behind me. The more you move, the less your muscles get fixed in a certain position.

Also kitchen chairs are not built for sustained work. Have you got an office chair you could wheel in and play around with? Something you can adjust the height of?

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks for all of your input, ladies! I have an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow to go talk to her about it. I'm looking forward to being able to scrap without pain.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-10-13 11:53 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
I can't comment on the boobs because I'm a fried egg girl myself.

Artfulscrapbooking
Resident
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to HappyCat

Do you tense up when you scrap? For example, hunching up you shoulders? That's what I do and that can cause all sorts of pain...I have to always remind myself to relax and keep my shoulders down.

http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to Artfulscrapbooking

• Artfulscrapbooking Said:
Do you tense up when you scrap? For example, hunching up you shoulders? That's what I do and that can cause all sorts of pain...I have to always remind myself to relax and keep my shoulders down.

http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

I try to sit up straight and relax my shoulders when I scrap, but I do slouch a bit. Bad habit, lol. My mom tried to break me of it when I was a kid.

Scrapped for about 30 minutes today and got up before I felt any pain.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics