Username Post: Help with paper organizing        (Topic#1586869)
tjdowning
Tenant
tjdowning

Finally organizing my scrapbooking supplies to try to keep up with my 3 (and soon 4) grandchildren's scrapbooks. In organizing, I realized I've compiled quite a bit of the 12x12 sheets of paper in all colors, patterns and designs. I have 2 of those 10 drawer stackers on wheels so thinking I would like to organize my paper in an efficient way. Looking at what others to do organize their paper. Do you just go by color or do you have specific categories. Thanks for any ideas.

Tenant
In response to tjdowning

I just redid mine. I do categories and brands or collections, I had no idea that I had so much. It seems like it's easier to match papers for me if I keep the collections together. I haven't separated it by color or categories yet but that will be my next step. I easily have four feet of paper and I just got rid of a bunch.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Pattycake92

I go by color for solids or for designs without a theme, but I also have about twenty themes - baseball, travel, Christmas, food, books/writing, science/technology, retro, hobbies, nature/outdoors/flowers/a nimals, a section for patterns that have more than one major color...

Um, yeah. I have a lot of categories. (I used to have fewer, before I got an additional paper rack, when I had to keep my colors on the same rack as my themes.)

What I would do with your twenty bins (2 sets of 10) would be to do a section of solids and near-solids - for myself, I condense that a bit by including my very few pinks with all my reds and by combining yellow and orange. From there, see what themes you have in the rest of your paper, or what themes you use most frequently, make separate sections for those, and combine the rest as necessary with whatever bins you have left. (For me, my most-used/most-populous theme shelves are baseball, travel, books, and food, and those would be my priorities if I had to move to a system with fewer shelves.)

However, some people like to sort by manufacturer or collection. That's not how I scrap at all, so that wouldn't work out for me.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Pattycake92

I just did mine and did the solid sheets by color. I used the color wheel to do the color sections.

The patterns I did by collection. The patterns that weren't in a collection I just grouped together.

tjdowning
Tenant
tjdowning
In response to crichards1

Thanks everyone! Just went through more of my paper and I'm shocked how much I have. Went a little overboard when I started a few years back, and now see I have many duplicates, so organizing is my top priority now. I can see I maybe need for drawers.
It's great to be able to visit with others for ideas on this site, love it!

Edited by tjdowning on 04-10-13 06:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to tjdowning

Once you really start organizing, you'll REALLY run across those duplicates! I know I do!!

I sort mostly by type (dots, stripes, florals, etc.) but I also sort by theme (Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween, cats, etc.). Especially sorting by theme makes me see all the dupes I've got.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to meezerpleaser

I organize my paper by manufacturer. It just works better for me that way.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Crafting Marfa

There's a pic in my gallery showing some of my organized paper...that is, not including the stuff i have bought in the last three or four months!!! lol

One box is organized by ROYGBIV color, then thematically, as shown, the next section is by brand, only because the new packs are not thematic, and I am not a fan of ripping my packs apart. Plus, papers from the same company are usually designed to work together.

For the ROYGBIV, the solids go first, then loose patterned papers of the same color scheme...like red, red polka dots, red stripes, red florals. For the papers that are multi-colored, i squint my eyes n choose the color that pops out at me...if its red n green stripe, for instance, what is the PREDOMINANT color? green? goes in the dreen folder. Hope this helps

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics