Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Why do I want a Cricut?        (Topic#1586897)
stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-11-13 09:20 AM

I know, not the most original topic, lol.

I have a Gazelle, which I LOVE, I have a Big Shot, which I also LOVE. And I really don't have room for another machine. But for some unknown reason I've been eyeing the Cricut Create lately. I've always been anti-Cricut as the idea of having to buy cartridges never appealed to me ... but I think all the dies I buy for my Big Shot has cured me of that problem, lol. I think I like the idea of having an electronic cutter that I don't need my computer for.

Can you use coupons on the machines or do they ever go on sale?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

I love my Cricut Expression, but I bought SCAL before the lawsuit, so I've never had to use a cartridge...except one has to be in the machine for SCAL to work. I know nothing about the machine you're looking at, but have you considered the Cameo? If doesn't take cartridges and it can use an SD card and cut from that, so you don't have to be wired to a computer if you have designs on the card you want to use. I've never used it that way, so I don't know how it works, but it's supposed to work Have fun shopping/buying/using whatever you decide on!~Judy

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mrsdriver5

They do go on sale now and then. From someone who loves both my Big Shot and my Cricut, here's a thing to love - the ability to resize stuff, to not be tied to the one size on the die.

One of my problems was that there would be lots of images I would never use on my cartridges - but then I found great uses for Germany and Japan on "Destinations" without setting foot outside the US.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-11-13 11:22 AM
In response to aquabunny

I have the cricut expression and I end up using my computer with it all the time anyway. For me it's easier to position multiple cuts and make sure they will be the right size (sometimes when I cut directly from the machine, I think it's going to be 2" and it ends up being like 10).

But then again I just got the cameo because I was tired of buying cartridges and not being able to cut anything I want so...

I'm not familiar with the gazelle though so I don't know what you already have.

Rileysmom06
Mayor
Rileysmom06
In response to Vae

i have a create, expression, imagine, etc.....don't buy a create, if anything buy the expression,

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Rileysmom06

To add to my comments above - I have the "personal" - the baby bug - which is the same size as the Create. I've had it for over three years and use it quite frequently, and speaking for myself, I still have not yet felt the need or desire to upgrade to the Expression. Since you cited concerns that you don't really have room for another machine, you really might want to stick with the Create or Personal.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to aquabunny

I know you said you were thinking about the Create, but J's has a pink ( white with pink ends) baby bug on clearance for $79. Pretty decent price.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ChansGram

I love my baby bug! I scrap on my dining room table, so having a cutting machine that is small and portable is wonderful. I have never paid full price for a cartridge. I've never been able to use a coupon for one, but someone is always having them on sale.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Luvmyfam

I got my expression for Christmas, and all of my carts from evilbay and other sites, or using coupons at the big box stores. I have about 35 carts, I really pared down to the ones I thought Id get the most use out of. Sadly, the machine is used rarely anymore, but I like knowing its there if I want to cut something.

I also got caught up in the Gypsy craze and bought one......loaded it up, and NEVER USED IT. No manual was a bummer for me, and the excitement wore off. However Im about to get a 5-fold return on my money spent as Im selling it! More money for other stuff I WILL use!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to ScrappyMama6

Got my expression 5 years ago and still use it. I only have about 15 carts mostly for lettering and cute holiday stuff. Just got the giant flowers cart since I was spending lots of money on flowers and will see if it was wroth the investment

I know M's had 40% off some of their chepaer carts the other day.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Just G

I have a Create that I NEVER use and I need to get rid of it.

I recently got a Cameo, so I don't need it.

I have 2 mats, the deep blade, a couple carts, and the CD. PM me if you want, we could strike a deal I am sure.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-12-13 09:05 AM
In response to Manda_K

Thanks for all the input! My Gazelle is like the Cameo - software driven, 12" wide, and I can cut anything I want with it. But ... I don't like being tethered to my computer all the time, and I have to create space for it everytime I want to use it. I'm thinking the Create would be an electronic equivalent of my Big Shot - a little more portable. I'm still on the fence about it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-12-13 09:05 AM
In response to Manda_K

Thanks for all the input! My Gazelle is like the Cameo - software driven, 12" wide, and I can cut anything I want with it. But ... I don't like being tethered to my computer all the time, and I have to create space for it every time I want to use it. I'm thinking the Create would be an electronic equivalent of my Big Shot - a little more portable. I'm still on the fence about it.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to stick

Well, I have the Create, the Expression, and a Big Shot. I find myself reaching for the Create and the Big Shot much, much more than for the Expression. I can't even remember the last time I turned it on! I like that the Create is smaller, weighs less, and takes the smaller sized mats. I understand, though, this newest cartridge I bought HAS to be used (or should be used) with the Expression, so I'll probably end up using it more.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to dwelch

I want to get a machine but I am SO confused about all the different ones. Who knows what I'll end up with but I love reading the discussions on them.

-Stephanie

Tenant
In response to SJB1120

I own two cricut expressions and use them both. I own about 30 cartridges but I've own my cricuts for several years.I only buy an average of two carts a year most of mine came with my machines.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 04-12-13 06:10 PM
In response to Pattycake92

The expression 2 does go on sale - I've been watching for a while and bought mine last week at Michael's for $179 (Canada - might be better even in the States). At that price, I figured I'd use it enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Now, if I could only link my carts to Cricut Craft Room I'd be a happy girl

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to J-M

I love my E if you wait til the Christmas holiday you can usually find them for a real good price and the carts too.

Yeah, I cant put mine on the Cricut Craft Room bc I loaded them on my Gypsy.. it is ok though bc I love my gypsy.

timetraveler
Guru
timetraveler
In response to kajunkat

sent you pm

andtyler
Guru
andtyler
In response to timetraveler

I love the cricut expression 2...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options