Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: SO YOU’RE FEELING TOO FAT TO BE PHOTOGRAPHED . . .        (Topic#1587105)
Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

Wow...I don't normally even read blog posts, much less of someone I don't know, but a friend posted this on Facebook and I think it is way too good not to share...I shared it before I even read it and now that I'm reading it I am teary eyed!

I have felt that way about the first professional pics I had made with my daughter during her 1 year pictures...but I have also, for the first time in having pics made, seen the beauty in them aside from the fat (but well aware of the fat still..and it has added some disappointment when seeing them). Well, no more..

If you are like me and don't take time to read stuff like this....READ THIS ONE please!

http://myfriendteresablog .com/so-youre-feeling-too- fat-...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-17-13 07:49 PM
In response to Mercy4Free

Thanks for posting this. I agree... we all need to hear/read this.

There's one line in there that really resonated with me... "Can we just accept ...that if this magical day does come when you’re acceptably thin you’ll STILL regret not having any pictures of you with your kids from ages 5 – 10? "

I don't have kids but this still struck a chord. So true!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vae

Great article. My philosophy has always been to take as many photos as possible, because then there's a greater chance that at least one will show my "best side". I don't have to display the others.

renwa33
Expert
renwa33
In response to RedSquirrel

I love this! Thanks so much for posting...I finally decided at Christmas this year to "get over" my fat insecurities and get in some pictures with the kids while they are young and enjoy it! And guess what? My camera didn't break, lol! And some of the pictures are great!!! (and the rest of them are hidden, lol!)

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to renwa33

I LOVE this!!! Thank you for posting it

She is SO right...your family and friends love you for YOU. So many years I hid behind the camera-yet snapped tons of pictures of everyone else. As my kids got older they would complain about how there were no pictures of me. They'd joke around and say they'll have to tell people they didn't have a mom. Mom? What mom? I don't see a mom anywhere. Finally I realized they were right. Now I do hop in there and allow pictures of me to be taken. After all...not being IN the pictures does not make me skinny lol

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
Thanks for posting this. I agree... we all need to hear/read this.

There's one line in there that really resonated with me... "Can we just accept ...that if this magical day does come when you’re acceptably thin you’ll STILL regret not having any pictures of you with your kids from ages 5 – 10? "

I don't have kids but this still struck a chord. So true!

Yes, me too!

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

This is what I said when I posted it on FB:
I totally feel this way...sometimes when i look at pics of myself, all I see is the fat...but I know the pictures are worth having....so just smile and act beautiful because you are! No matter what scars, fat (or lack thereof), beauty marks or anything else....just smile! If someone is taking your picture, it means they want to remember you for a lifetime...and for others to remember you too.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

I just shared this on my FB page, so my friends could see it too. My wonderful MIL gave me this same advice years ago, around the time of our wedding. I was obsessing about being a few pounds heavier, and she made me realize it's not about that. I look back at photos of me and think about what great memories they are ... and also remember how bad I felt about myself at the time. Silly to do this to ourselves, isn't it? THANK YOU for posting this!!!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to tanyaham

This just woke me up....I know my granddaughters don't have any pictures of me because I'm always behind the camera. When we head to disney in October I'm going to be in the pictures.

Expert
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks for sharing--I don't like the majority of the pictures I end up in, but I'm happy I have pictures of me that I can include in my boys' scrapbooks. I do have to remember to physically put the camera into someone else's hands so that I can have a photo of me.

I keep hoping that someday someone will take a picture of me that I like as much as my absolute favorite photo of me...one of those stupid sketch photos from Chuck E Cheese!!! My hair looks awesome, my smile is great...I just look fabulous...but it's a stupid sketch photo!!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to HuskerMom98

Great post! Scrapbooking changed my view on being in front of the camera. It wasn't until I started scrapbooking that I realized my children had very few photos of me to look back on because I always avoided the camera. From that point on my attitude changed about being photographed.

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to olleharr

please share the link on your FB pages and whatever. let's spread this!

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens

I have added it to my Pinterest board, just in case I have a relapse. And mainly so my sister will read it. She is the worlds worst.

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to lifethroughalens

well said

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to rockmom

This is a wonderful post. I've gained a lot of weight and have refused to be photographed for quite awhile. I need to change my attitude about it! Thanks for posting

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to nrskrs

When I had my daughter, I swore I would never do this. I have very few photos of my mother because she always thought she was fat. My mother was SO THIN too. She died when I was 23. Even thought I don't love myself, I make sure I hand over the camera to my husband on vacations or at birthdays or other people at random times to get some photos of me. I want my daughter to know that I was at events too.

The funny thing is, some of the photos that I thought I was "fat" in, looking back, I look pretty darn good!! This is a great post and a good reminder to everyone. Thanks for posting!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Just Nora

This was amazing...I read it out loud to my wonderful best friend and her hubby. We are both "CURVY", its just that neither of us curve inward, just outward. And no, we dont get in pics, and if one is taken by "mistake", all we do is rip on ourselves. I shared this on my fb page...I hope you ALL do!

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to Juansmom

love it Juansmom!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

What a wonderful post! This so hits home for me. I've had maybe a handful of pics taken of me in the last 12 years and just couldn't stand to be in them and i'm sad that I have just a couple photos of me and my 12 year old son in all these years .

After what the x husband put me through I just didn't care about myself anymore. Don't think he ever said I was pretty even in my wedding dress. When I asked he's saay "do you want me to be honest?" But recently I was out with some friends and I actually botherd to fix my hair and attempted makeup. And a friend took a pic and it's the first time ever that I said "Wow that's not bad. I can live with that one" And I let her post it on facebook. I couldn't believe the positive comments I got.

It really got me motivated and I started using my
really old treadmill somebody gave me a year ago and after a month it broke and I got a new one. I've lost 20 lbs in the last month and a half. I've also had to learn how to put make up on again. lol

I finally care again.

Edited by Cindyckj on 04-22-13 07:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Cindyckj

Wow! I think you just knocked some sense into me! Thanks for posting this.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics