Username Post: Laptop Questions....        (Topic#1587161)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I'm getting a new laptop....I had one many years ago but have been making do with our office desktop for a long time, so I'm a little out of touch with the new stuff....

I primarily want to use it for my photos, PSE, Silhouette Cameo files and design stuff etc....
Was wondering what any of you recommend as far as processors, RAM, HD etc....
Also, any other software you recommend?

Thanks!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to kiyawinn

I will be watching this post too. I'm also looking. Think I want laptop. Now have a pc tower, that's giving issues and an iPad I live on.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-19-13 08:00 PM
In response to SherylEb

I don't know much about it but my husband keeps talking about solid-state hard drives. They are much more stable than the hard drives that have discs in them and they are faster and quieter too. He just got one for our storm laptop because the drive that was in it crashed. I must admit I do notice a pretty big speed difference.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Vae

I converted from Windows to a MacBook Pro just over 2 years ago. It was a steep learning curve at first, but now I would not go back.

No more having to make a cup of tea while it boots up and a coffee while it shuts down. Everything works, crashes are rare, no virus-scanners to slow everything down and scare the living daylights out of me when it finds something. No updates every half an hour that take an hour and lose my work. Fantabulous graphics! The battery lasts for hours with constant use, even longer with intermittent use. You can just shut the lid and it will go to sleep.

And it will still run the Microsoft Office programs so I still have Word and Excel. Oh yeah, they still crash, but that's the nature of the beast. It runs PSE, and the Silhouette software, and iPhoto does pretty good basic photo enhancements too.

It wasn't cheap, but it was SO worth it.

Good luck with your choice!

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I agree with you on all counts. Plus, the Apple stores offer workshops, some free that help a lot. I. Switched 5 years ago when my family got me an air book and I love it. I have a tower PC in my craft room that holds supplies. When I try to use it, it is soooooooo slow that I hate it.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Unique scrapper

I am still a firm Windows user if you are going to be editing a lot of photos go with as much ram as you can afford.

I'm running a Dell I've had for 3 years and still no major problems and I'm running 6 gigs of ram. I edit a lot of photos and a lot of big photos with no problems.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Sneezy1956

Honestly, I'm not sure I can afford a Mac right now.....I'm in Canada and they are really expensive! Probably at least 3 times the price of what I can get a PC for.....

Jane, I'm looking at ones that are 8 GB RAM....I think that should be fine....
I was also reading up on HD since I have A LOT of photos....I think my options are to get a big HD or buy a separate drive to store all my photos on....

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to kiyawinn

I will heartily recommend an external hard drive to at least use as a backup for your photos.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to rockmom

External drive definitely. And the best you can afford, whatever it is Alison.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Agree need the external I have 2 of them on is 500 and the other a trig if you can get buy till Black Friday don't know what it's called in Canada or if you even have it but I got my trig for $50 us dollars then.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Sneezy1956

External hard drive is a must and I personally love Toshiba laptops and swear by them. Get as much RAM as you can

Mary Fran
Expert
Mary Fran
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Oooh a new laptop....it's nice to treat yourself!! I would recommend Dell (as my husband has had 3 over the past 12 years, and they take a beating). As you can order and customize them online, you can add and subtract more RAM or Hard Drive sizes and see the price difference in order to make it fit your needs and budget. As others have mentioned, get the most RAM you can (8-12 MB would be good) and certainly an external hard drive. Also a larger screen size 15in is worth the money as it gives you more area to work with. Best of luck!!

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to Mary Fran

Now see thats where some of us differ, I had a Dell and it lasted me not two years before the hard drive went out, it was repaired and then 5 weeks later the motherboard crashed, it was repaired. But my laptop was never the same. I was told be geek squad that mine and another one of Dells did that all the time. That is was a surprise that mine lasted that long. I mean I hope that it was only those two types, but I swore I wouldn't get another Dell.

I wanted a Mac Pro Air, but couldn't afford to get it. I did however buy a very awesome HP notebook g6. It is awesome. I use it for school work and crafting now. I plan to get an external hard drive as well for pics and a newer printer then what I currently own. I have a HP printer, but it is a few years old and very basic.

My thing is do your homework on what you want, read multiple reviews on them and go to the store and try them out as well. See how they feel to you. Good luck with your purchase hun.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics