Username Post: Help! My pics and pages are folding up..?        (Topic#1587197)
jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck

I started my first 81/2 x 11 album today. I am using some different cardstock that is heavier than what I'm used to with the 12x12. I also started with a new glue stick. SOMETHING is making the pictures kind of fold and bend the paper so it's not fitting flat. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I want to fix it before I go any further.
Thanks for your help!!
Julie

jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck
In response to jcbreck

I tried to take a picture to show what's happening. I was also thinking maybe it's the photo paper...?? asking for help on these folded pages By Jcbreck

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to jcbreck

When you say, 'Glue stick', are you referring to an old school Elmer's type or a Zig 2 Way Glue Stick? If Elmer's type, I wouldn't use that for scrapbooking purposes (but I'll assume your not given that you're a 'Diva' and have been around long enough to know not to use them). If it's the Zig 2 Way Glue Stick, it could be that, they tend to put out a lot of fluid and it could be just too much for the type of photo paper you're using. Perhaps spread it thinner if you can Hope that helps.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to Momto3infinity

The other variable obviously is the type of photo paper you're utilizing. Printing at home, I use either HP Glossy or Epson Matte. They seem to be able to withstand 'wet' glue. HTH :0

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Momto3infinity

Yes, the thinner the paper/card-stock, the more likely it is that any liquid-based adhesive will warp the paper. If you haven't used card-stock that thin before, I reckon that's the problem. The glue is too wet.

What kind of glue stick are you using?

jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck
In response to RedSquirrel

actually the card stock is thicker than usual. I will try new glue and different paper. I don't even know what brand that photo paper is because I found it in my stock with no packaging from who knows when. It's glossy something.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that it's the glue..I have a bunch of that paper and it's expensive to replace...way more than the glue!

I'll let you know what I figure out after I get to the store tomrw. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to jcbreck

Are you printing your own pictures? I have heard it said that if you don't use the same manufactures paper and print and ink you are unlikely to get premium results.

I have heard that each manufacture may use a different coating on their paper, therefore you can get over saturation on the paper causing it to curl.

I personally have found it to be to expensive to print at home. So I choose places that print for .13 for a 4x6.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to creater1

After looking closer at your pics it appears that you journaling is also warping. I would have to agree with the others that it looks like a glue issue.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to creater1

I'd switch to using the adhesive squares.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to NMlady

Apologies, I misread the thickness of the paper.

I think you should treat yourself to an ATG, personally. No warp, and it sticks fast. Just sayin'.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to RedSquirrel

I agree with the others looking at your picture it spears that your glue is the problem try a dry glelue like the Atg or glue dots

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Sneezy1956

ATG rocks...

Now, I hated mine for the first week. Then, POOF, I loved it. So if you have an opportunity to try one, give it a chance...it's a bit different from anything you've ever used.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Glue sticks are for Kindergarteners; step away from the glue stick!

I personally am not a fan of ATG; it's too big, but there are smaller inexpensive tape runners or even plain ole adhesive squares.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to t-scraps

I recently bought the ATG and loved it from the beginning. I couldn't find a smaller tape runner that I could use effectively. This one works all the time. I used You Tube to figure out how to put the tape in.

Edited to say: I apologize T-Scraps. I didn't mean to reply to you. I was replying to the original poster.

Edited by crichards1 on 04-22-13 10:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 04-22-13 11:04 AM
In response to crichards1

Oh no! It looks like it is the adhesive that is the problem. Try using a tape adhesive like Tombow or photo squares. Anything dry should give better results.

Edited by IzzyB on 04-22-13 11:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to IzzyB

I use the tombow mono liquid glue on everything and it works great as long as I use it very, very sparingly. Too much will cause warping like this. One little bottle lasts me forever because it I never have to use too much. I even use it on the thinnest of papers with no problem. Maybe the adhesive is not bad but you are just using too much of it.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to olleharr

Boy I can tell I posed on my phone the spelling errors are awful!

jcbreck
Diva
jcbreck
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks everyone! I experimented and found that although I've used the same adhesive for a long time, my dh switched the photo paper and it's MUCH thinner. I didn't adjust to that and so, as you all said, the glue took over!! I can't believe that I let that happen! Thanks for all your posts guys! Lesson learned.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics