Page 1 of 9 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 04-22-13 09:37 AM

Immerse yourself in your space and analyze it. What do you love? What works? What doesn't?

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 04-30-13 04:14 PM
In response to Kels

Welcome to Week #1 everyone. I'm so excited to get going and happy you're joining in. You are our flagship group for this new class so I'll be close by to make sure we have smooth sailing.

We have made a new Excel Version and printable version of the Space Assessment Handout. The Excel version is on the first page of the Week #1 material. Look for the link that says 'Excel Version.' You can click that link, and the handout will instantly download into your downloads area on your computer.

Following is the link to the new seven page printable version with larger spaces for notes:

http://www.scrapbookneighborhood.com/downloads/Scrapboo...

Good luck with your layouts and Space Assessment Handouts this week. This is the most revealing week of our adventure. Please feel free to post about your discoveries if you're comfortable doing so. You can also share the layout you created here and/or your "before" photo here.

I'd love to know where you're from.

I'm from Mesa, Arizona, USA.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-01-13 06:54 AM
In response to Jill

Oooh I just found this forum! YAY!

I'm from McKinney, TX.

I'm so excited about the class. I'll be moving at the end of May into a house where I'll have an ACTUAL studio. Right now I'm on tables in my living room. The timing is perfect because I haven't bought anything for the new space yet. Now I can actually PLAN my space with much more knowledge of my process and my stash

I've just finished reading through the first lesson and I'm excited to get started, hopefully tonight. One thing I realized as I was reading through the "What DIDN'T work" sections is that my biggest hot mess is the debris that is left over from a project (or 3). I have lots of table space and I end up covering all of it, mostly with paper that I didn't end up using or the scraps that are left. When I peel a cut off my cricut mat, the remnants get tossed aside onto the table to be dealt with later.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 10:34 AM
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
One thing I realized as I was reading through the "What DIDN'T work" sections is that my biggest hot mess is the debris that is left over from a project (or 3). I have lots of table space and I end up covering all of it, mostly with paper that I didn't end up using or the scraps that are left. When I peel a cut off my cricut mat, the remnants get tossed aside onto the table to be dealt with later.

How neat you were able to see the problem with your project "leftovers!" Good info about scrap management is coming...

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Jill

Hi! I am in Renton, WA.

I am loving that the first "assignment" is about finding out what works and doesn't work in your space.

We recently (Jan. 2013) moved from TX (where I had the entire garage as my scrapbook room) to WA (in a apartment, where now I have to share the dining room with my scrap area). I am still trying to get the "right" set-up for me and my family.

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to rgridings

I'm really excited for this class too. I live around Sacramento, CA. I have roommates and so my bedroom is my studio. Actually it's more like I have a bed in my studio. hahaha. I have a very limited space and just a tiny table to work on so I'm excited to find a new, more effective system so I use what I have. Yay! And thank you Jill!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to snoflake517

OK...I finally got out from under my pile of paper, scraps, glitter, abandoned pens...and I'm here!

I live in El Cajon, an eastern suburb of San Diego, CA. (That's pronounced El Cahon with a long "o" for anyone east of the Mississippi )

I actually have a craft room with wallpaper to prove that's what it is...but I'm not in it. Hubby retired and that's where his computer ended out. You know what? Hubbies are mess-makers too, but in a different non-crafty way.

My challenge is to re-arrange several rooms so everyone and everything can finally get where it belongs...but I'm old, tired, and my foot got stuck to the floor when I stepped on a bottle of Permanent-Forever Nothing-Will-Remove glue, so I might be a bit slow in keeping up with you all~Judy

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 04:16 PM
In response to snoflake517

From a garage to an apartment is HUGE change. A bed in a studio is just the coolest. And studio sharing is like, well, basically you've got a roommate situation going on there. I'm looking forward to hearing the ideas you come up with. Remember, no need to clean this week. Just clear (or find) your workspace, design that gorgeous layout, takes breaks, and ponder life little grasshopper. Save your strength for the coming weeks.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-01-13 06:03 PM
In response to Jill

LOL, Judy!!

Checking in from San Francisco. Real estate being what it is here, and most apartments under rent control, my husband and I are in a small apartment where we've been for several years, and we both have multiple hobbies, interests, collections, toys, etc. Seems like I am constantly getting new stuff, rearranging and reorganizing, purging things I don't want or need any more. Container Store and Ikea are two of my favorite places.

I scrap in the living room by setting up a big folding table, or occasionally by pulling out a small rolling cabinet that sits under a table, sitting on the floor and just scrapping on top of it. I have deposits of scrappy supplies distributed throughout cabinets and a couple of closets, so a 'before' pic would have to be a collage And it doesn't help that they're replacing the big picture windows in the kitchen and living room so we've got the rug rolled up and cabinets and furniture all out of place!!

I've put a lot of thought into what works and what doesn't, and why, but it's quite a challenge given the absolute space limitations. Haven't worked on my assignment yet (my 'real' work has gotten very intense lately), but this weekend I'll be doing a lot of scrapping for NSD so it'll happen then

Very excited to have an organized process to think through all this!!

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to stick

Hello Ladies.

I am from Muncie, Indiana the Hoosier state. I live in a home built in the 1800's that we are trying to restore. I am lucky and have a large room that is now finally my studio after a big decision to stop taking in stay kids and family members. I share my studio with my Mother the card maker and my Aunt the "other" scrapper, and we host club every Wednesday night.

I am so excited to be involved in this class. It seems like I re-arrange our room every few months, each time finding something that works and many that don't. I will be brave and get my pics uploaded this weekend.

Lyn7952
New Kid On the Block
Lyn7952
In response to dabnat

Hi - I'm from San Antonio, TX and am lucky enough to have a studio and it's a very large room 20x15 but in addition to scrapping, I also quilt and crochet with tons of yarn, lots of fabric so organization is a must. Hence I signed up right away for this class. I do think that I am organized, it's in my nature because of my job. I force myself to go to my used paper storage area whenever starting a new project it's not what I want to do but I found that I was putting scrap paper in my storage area and it matched what I had in there already, so now I'm a purist about making sure that I check out my used stuff 1st. My current problem is varing weights of paper and it's all gotten thrown in together, so I'll be clearing that up this weekend but I have run out of space for my paper some is in a shelving system (packed to the gills) and some paper in drawers - hence it's not organized. I also tend to forget about my wooden stamps because they are in a drawer, I go to my clear stamps all the time but constantly 4-get about my wooden stamps. Looking so forward to this class.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Lyn7952

Lyn7952,

I also forget about my stamps....all of them...lol. I started to remove my wooden stamps from the wood (they just take up too much room) back in the summer last year, but then found out that we would be moving, so everything got packed up as it was. I really need to finish that project and make a master list of the stamps I have so I don't buy duplicates.

I also love the idea of organizing layout ideas by the number of pictures that are in the layout. I will be working on doing this on Saturday morning as my husband has a half marathon that he is running in (then it is back home to do some scrapping!!!)

palominogirl
Tenant
palominogirl
In response to rgridings

This is perfect timing for me because I have a new scrapbooking room and all my stuff is in boxes. What doesn't work for me is not enough storage.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dabnat

Oh dear. I'm the red-headed step-sister from across the pond in the UK's beautiful west country. OK, not completely red-headed, just a bit ginger-ish.

I have a WHOLE CORNER of our study/ computer/ music/ treatment room for my scrap stuff. I have a generous IKEA corner desk, with a drawer unit underneath and 6 shelves above. Good, fat shelves. My albums and some papers live on the bottom shelf of the bookcase behind me. My papers and card-stock live in magazine boxes on the floor in front of the bookcase. My other crafting stuff (sewing machine, projects not begun yet, water-colour and acrylic painting) live under the desk with the waste bin and the recycling bag.

I'm still reading through all the contents of the first e-mail, but I've worked out that I need to do a LO and highlight all the areas that don't work properly.

And the biggest area that doesn't work properly is the pile of unfinished LOs (no deadline or deadline passed) which have to be kept flat.

I think I'm going to start a new album in my Gallery just for this project, because I sense a few photos coming up...

Thanks for doing this Jill!

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

WOW! So glad to be part of the GET ORGANIZED! series.I had a water damage incident in my scrap space and EVERYTHING has been stored in the dining room while the room was repaired. WHAT A MESS! Now I am trying to put it all back in...UGH! I am so overwhelmed and have vowed not to put anything back into the room I don't want or need. What to do...where to start. Downloaded my room assessment and will try to use it as my jumping point...I look forward to all the support I will get here!!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jlbaum127

The first problem I'm going to have with the assessment sheet is that there is only one space for locations. I'm going to have to add some extra room since I have pp/cs & paints all over the house :>)

I have a feeling I'm going to flunk this class ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-02-13 02:14 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

LOL Judy I have the same problem. Plus I can't write that small. I modified it just a bit so I have more room to write, but now it takes up 2 pages.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-02-13 05:30 PM
In response to Vae

Haha, well I'm an idiot - I didn't realize you could click on the table and download a template.

Jill - would it be possible to get the template as an Excel file so we can each make changes to fit our specific situations?

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to stick

Hi everyone, I'm from Florida. I'm still going over the assessment. My "space" right now is non existent until we finish getting settled into our new place. My papers are in plastic recollections folders and I'm working out of tote bags.

My biggest issues I need to deal with are actually getting a desk set up in my bedroom I can work on and getting my supplies organized in containers in my closet.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-02-13 09:30 PM
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Jill - would it be possible to get the template as an Excel file so we can each make changes to fit our specific situations?

I'll check and see what can be done. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Page 1 of 9 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics