Page 2 of 9 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Coming to you from Utah. I'm lucky enough to have a room I can dedicate to my creative efforts. Because I do more than just scrap in there, I simply refer to it as my creativity room. It's mostly in pretty good shape, but I know there is always more to learn! I haven't had a chance to make my layout yet, but I'm excited to do so. I'm going to have to kind of make my own space assessment because I don't have a printer to print it out, but browsing over it, I can already identify a couple of problem areas: Layouts in progress and memorabilia. I'll be interested in seeing how others handle these areas!

Edited by shurgood07 on 05-03-13 12:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to shurgood07

OK, issue #1:
The different requirements of desk-scrapping vs cropping. If I make everything perfectly accessible for desk-scrapping (eg. taking card-stock out of packs and sorting it into ROYBGIV/pink/black/white/ kraft) it will make my monthly crops a nightmare to pack for. Hmm.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
The first problem I'm going to have with the assessment sheet is that there is only one space for locations. I'm going to have to add some extra room since I have pp/cs & paints all over the house :>)

I have a feeling I'm going to flunk this class ~Judy

My first thought on that is, would it be easier for you if they weren't all over the house? As in, if all your c/s was in one place, your paints all together in another place? If you already have the most used c/s and paints to hand, and the least-used elsewhere, then you already have it organised to work for you. That's not flunking!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to RedSquirrel

HELLO from Oklahoma City!

I signed up for this class because I absolutely LOVE my scrapbook room, and organizing it (and reorganizing it)! I am already very organized, but love learning new ways and getting great new ideas!

I like my storage to be effective and functional, yet cute. If I had my "dream" room, it would look like a candy shop inside. I have a *thing* for those tilted candy jars with the silver lids, and love all kinds of stacked baskets, tierred serving trays and cake pedestals. ROYGBIV everywhere. Ahhhh ... my happy place, LOL!

I'll be loading pics in my gallery momentarily of my Before space.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to RedSquirrel

Judy there's no way you can flunk it!! First of all, your scrapping stuff in within a mile of you, not 3000 like me!

Hi everyone! I'm currently living in Germany, but my scrapbooking supplies and my permanent home are in Rhode Island! I'm doing this class now because when I return home I'll be moving again and I want to move some of my scrapping stuff with me to school since I might actually have a corner I can designate for scrapping! Which brings me to my next issue...

I have no scrapbooking space! I have a closet with stuff in it, and some of my stuff is hidden in decorative boxes placed near tables, but ultimately I have no space designated as scrapping space. I hope to change that, but right now it's hard considering I'm not there!

So when I return home in 10 weeks I will be able to post photos and whatnot. I'll be a bit behind, but I've always been a fast student!

-Stephanie

Edited by SJB1120 on 05-03-13 07:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to SJB1120

Hello to everyone from Iowa!

I have a room dedicated to scrapbooking, but it's an awkwardly sized and shaped room which makes arrangment a challenge. I think I finally got it almost right, but there is always room for improvement! I haven't had time to read through the materials yet (weekend goal) but off the top of my head I'd say my biggest challenges are storing all the random, miscellaneous items, project management (I have a tendancy to start projects and never finish them), and making storage easy to use. I can start with a neat area, but after a few weeks it's a mess because it's just easier to pile stuff on the shelf rather than actually dragging the bins out and putting things where they go.

Looking forward to participating in this class a lot!

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to *jesse*

Hi! I'm Sherry in Montana. My scrap space is what I call my "scrapnook". It's at the end of my kitchen and I just purged some stuff again. My goal was to get down to just a shelf in one of the cabinets, but I'm still using three, not counting photo album storage. I like having some paper items on hand for hybrid scrapbooking and projects, but need the space more for kitchen storage.

There is a small, plastic wheeled cart in my room with scrap items in it and also my completed albums are up in my closet. I didn't want to store those at the end of my kitchen!

Thanks for this class and I hope I get a little more than just my scrap stuff in more efficient places.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Greenacres

Hiya from Houston!

I am already pretty organized, and can't stand clutter. It eats at me and I can't feel free to create..

My studio is six-foot table and behind it is a full wall of bookcases and a desk unit with hutch. I sit between the table and wall unit. I have geology books and genealogy on one set of shelves and scrapbook supplies on the other. My CS is organized on a nice horizontal wire shelf unit made for that purpose. My PPs are mostly in pad form and stand vertically directly behind me. The lose pps are located in the top three shelves of the wire unit. Christmas pads on the bottom three shelves. This works well for me. The thing is my ribbons are on a pants hanger in the closet, I have to get up, walk around my table across the room to get to them. That part is okay but I find that out sight means out of mind.

My inks and stamps are in a covered basket and are also outta sight. Its a small basket so I have to dig to get to what I want. I don't use them often but want to used them more. My photos are in hanging folders organized by person and are on the bottom shelf in two large file boxes, easy to get to. My punches are in a desk drawer and I have to lean over and pick up each one til I find the one I want. Tools are stored right on my table in an open tool holder, its an ugly cardboard box with 6 plastic cups. I should cover it and make it pretty! Small pieces and bits are in a small 5 drawer plastic bin on my studio work table top right next to the tools. My larger CS pieces are in a large 3 drawer bin under the worktable. On top of that is a wooden cutting board that serves as a table for my silhouette. large pieces of pp are in a plastic portfolio case laying on top of one of the file folder boxes right behind me. Also easy to reach but kinda hard to sort thru.

It all works but is not perfect. I want to find a better way to get my ribbon, my punches, my inks and stamps where I can see them. I like the nice look of the covered baskets but they just aren't really workable.

Conclusion, I have already done the preliminary work and know just what I want to change.

I am with Vae, bits and pieces stack up on one end of my table as I work unless I force myself to clean up after each LO which interrupts the flow. Its a nice neat stack most of the time but still it adds up.

I am hoping to get some good ideas from this class.

Victoriaj
Resident
Victoriaj
In response to Jill

I read over the material and sat in my studio (LOVE that word, Jill!) and just felt overwhelmed. I'm glad we have a week because I'm going to need it. I have my own area but it's not strictly scrapping, it's my office so it's really a combo area. It's actually a loft so I only have three walls, which makes it difficult to arrange for storage.

I guess what I'm going to do is set a timer for myself and just jump in and work for a certain amount of time each day. Then I can get stuff into bins and start figuring out what is working and what needs to be rehomed (or given a home).

Oh, I'm from Tracy, CA.

Edited by Victoriaj on 05-03-13 11:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to Victoriaj

OMG - I can't believe I did this- but so need it!!

I'm in Florida and since we are on the count down to hot summer days where I stay indoors as much as possible I figured now is the time to see if I can get my room to work more efficiently.

I love the fact I have a dedicated room for my crafting studio equipped with an easy chair for those rest periods.
I love having two counters for work space, but hate the fact I still don't seem to have things organized into convenient locations. Having four separate spots just for 12x12 papers does not efficient or effective.

I am look for change!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sewflake

I have reorganized my "studio" twice in the last 8 months. My room was my craft/office, but since I no longer work from home, I wanted to expand into that area. I gave it a chance, but hated it. So much to my hubby's horror, I tore it down and started again. Like it better.

But I have 2 or 3 real problem areas. 1)Finding good places for larger tools (score-pal, large cutter, etc), 2) most things have a place, but then when I use them it seems a hassle to put them back so they stay out, and 3) the cleanup after each layout/project before you start the next one.

It's going to rain here all weekend in Illionis, so first I have to buy ink to print the handout, then do the layout.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-03-13 02:32 PM
In response to bogey_scrapper

SPACE ASSESSMENT HANDOUT UPDATE:

We have made a new Excel Version and printable version of the Space Assessment Handout. The Excel version is on the first page of the Week #1 material you get to from the Week #1 email. Look for the link that says 'Excel Version.' You can click that link, and the handout will instantly download into your downloads area on your computer.

Following is the link to the new seven page printable version with larger spaces for notes:

http://www.scrapbookneighborhood.com/downloads/Scrapboo...

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Jill

ZOWIE, Y'ALL ROCK!

Tenant
In response to Jill

You gals are funny, I read every post!

Hello, my name is Kim, I live in southern Ohio. Quick summary, I lived in the same house for 30 years and had my own room 25 x 15. My husband died suddenly long story but I had to move and have moved 3 more times since. I moved in with my Mother last year she had Alzheimer. She had a quilt room so I began moving my stuff in there. She passed in March and I had to take in a roommate and give up the big quilt room and take my Mom's bedroom 9x12.

I don't have all my stuff here yet but I did manage to get Mom's quilt table in the room as my workstation, one bookcase, one antique dresser, one Expedit (I have two more in storage), 2 Iris carts, four M's cubes and lots of plastic drawers.

I always loved using grid paper to arrange my home. So, I have the room measured and on the grid paper and the furniture measured and cut in little pieces BUT it all doesn't fit!!!!

I am very organized BUT when I don't have the right storage container or furniture for the 'stash' I am a mess.

I put the quilt table in the center of the room across the longest of the 12ft and hoping to achieve more storage space by using the center of the floor space that is usually wasted when everything is lined up along the walls. And hoping to make a U shaped workstation. Via, stamp station, cutting station and general all purpose workstation. As soon as I get the rest of my stuff which I hope to have all scrap room stuff by next weekend.

In my previous room I didn't have the Expedits and my cutting station was a 6 foot table with the CH's verticals lined up on the back side of the table with my cutting tools under table for easy access. I would choose my pictures first then paper and sketch and cut then move to workstation leaving the mess on the cutting table. So, I am spoiled.

After attempting a layout here, now that the paper is in the CH's in the Expedits I know I don't like 'not' having a table to spread out some pretty paper and make a selection....I am thinking I need a solution maybe a small table in between two Expedits. They hold a lot of stuff.

In Jan I found the perfect answer to my stamp storage and still working on that.

I have had an Inventory binder for about 8 years but it also needs some work.

So, the space assessment is a work in progress because I don't have everything here.

Looking forward to sharing with all of you. Hoping to upload some pictures from my phone 'cause having issues with computer importing from camera. The ugly paneling in the room cast a gold tone on pic's, oh yeah paneling and red shag carpet, yuck!!

Edited by claytonrk on 05-04-13 02:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Del Marie Riley
New Kid On the Block
Del Marie Riley
In response to Jill

Hello. I am from Colorado. I've read all the posts and y'all are a hoot. This is the 2nd organizing class I've done this year. While I learned a few things in the 1st, it wasn't a system for me. I like to SEE everything I have because out of sight is out of mind. My atelier is in my bedroom and my husband despises it. When we moved here in Sept. 2012, I went from my own huge room to a little spot in the corner. Big change for me. I'm debating taking over the garage instead. Looking forward to seeing what this class has in store.

Victoriaj
Resident
Victoriaj
In response to Jill

Thank you, Jill! This is awesome!!

• Jill Said:
SPACE ASSESSMENT HANDOUT UPDATE:

We have made a new Excel Version and printable version of the Space Assessment Handout. The Excel version is on the first page of the Week #1 material you get to from the Week #1 email. Look for the link that says 'Excel Version.' You can click that link, and the handout will instantly download into your downloads area on your computer.

Following is the link to the new seven page printable version with larger spaces for notes:

http://www.scrapbookneighborhood.com/downloads/Scrapboo...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-04-13 05:44 PM
In response to Victoriaj

Even though I wasn't TRYING to, today while I was working on some challenges I couldn't help but try to pick up after myself more throughout. Putting things back where they go soon after I'm done using them... throwing my scraps n shreds away as I go instead of letting them pile up.

It's so funny, I have never worked on projects for more than an hour and had my tables look THIS good. BUT, it did seriously put a damper on my creative flow. I really wasn't doing it intentionally, I think just because I have this class on my mind recently it made me more aware. But I think I might have to make a conscious decision to be messy while I work. LOL. Or maybe, hopefully I'll learn some other tips and ways of doing this during the class.

What about you? Has anyone noticed you've been doing things differently (intentionally or unintentionally) since you read the first chapter?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-04-13 05:50 PM
In response to Vae

Vae, maybe something like tossing the scraps immediately is just a habit you need to develop. My space is so limited that I'm forced to tidy a bit as I go along, so I just got into the habit of tossing unusable papers, putting things away or at least back in the appropriate container when I'm done with that aspect of a project, etc.

What I REALLY need to do is extend this organizational training to the rest of my stuff - books, magazines, CDs to upload, etc. etc. etc.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to stick

Hi. Just located this thread again (having seen that the last one was in this area). I have joined the class and printed out the smaller template. I am looking forward to using the bigger one though, so thanks for that! I am quite excited about tackling my organization issues.

I am lucky enough to have my own dedicated scrap room, but my room is pretty small (I think it is 8' x 9' but I can't find the tape measure to make sure right now) and I have to share it with my computer/home office area)... so I have two desks in it.

The walls in my room are plaster/sheet rock combo. It is tough to hang some things on them... like towels rods (for punch storage for instance).

And I also have cats... crazy cats. They will find and destroy or just play with things that are left out for them. Ribbons, small embellishments, sticky mats, the eye drop style distress ink refills, etc. etc. have to be kept well away from them. I can't put ribbons on dowels or put most anything dainty in an uncovered bin for them to discover. They have done damage to a few things I've been silly enough to forget or just figure they wouldn't have an interest in.

In addition, I like stuff. I am a self described hoarder... but a very organized one... normally. The good news on that front is that I know I wouldn't be able to function in a room that was too "neat" and sterile so getting rid of all my "clutter" would never be my first option. I wouldn't feel creative in a room like that. I like to have some personal momentos (even if they don't match my decor) around me when I create.

After scrapping all day yesterday (NSD) I've discovered several specific areas I am needing to address... like ribbon, die and die machine, TEMPLATE, and stamp storage. But I think I was even surprised to find that I have a few things that already work really, really well for me... like my awesome scrap, adhesive, and most used tools storage systems.

Tenant
In response to Vae

I haven't read it yet, but I know I need help. My last room had a garbage can just under the table/desk and I bought a little hand held broom and dustpan and hung it on a O ring with a string SO I wouldn't lose it under the mess!!

Now, I can't find space for a can I am using a quilt table so there are shelves under so I am thinking maybe a rectangle/oval bucket things with no holes in to just grab & trash.

Page 2 of 9 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics