Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
Sewflake
Idol
Sewflake
In response to Jill

I finished the space audit yesterday. Two of my grand kids (young) spent the night then used "my space" most of the day, for their computer needs. While I was off my game as far as creativity went, it did provide me with time to assess my room, my needs, and my wants/must haves.

To my surprise I had a lot more areas that work well and I am happy with, than areas that just don't work effectively. Most of those areas deal with 8.5x11 card stock, 12x12 pattern paper, embellishments, kits, ribbon, and room decor.

Not only did I identify the area but I started working on a couple of them. I went through the wire drawers to the far left of my standing work space to purge, organize, and dust! I had not realized how long it had been since I went through that area of my studio!! Not to mention how long it has been since I used anything in the lower half of the drawers.

Then I started tackling the work space on top by de-cluttering then rearranging the wire bars and ruler round up shelf that is starting to fall down. I had purchased a second counter just to have a deep enough work space with a multitude of storage on the top too. I can not attach anything major to the walls permanently, it is all free standing. I don't mind as it makes it easier to rearrange.

It looks so much better already that I am ready to tackle more!! The added plus of more work space! I'm ready

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to claytonrk

Claytonrk, your garbage bin and little broom sound like a great idea for quick cleaning. I have a garbage and recycle basket at the ready myself, but the cats like both of them a lot.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to KatieJo

Hi I'm Jane from South Eastern Ohio...I've got an 8 x 8 room very small and not well organized and to be honest I've looked through all of the photo's and no one has the mess I have.

I tried putting all of my embellishments on my clip it up but that doesn't work I've had my room sorted by color did not work. I've tried working by theme doesn't work I'm still trying to find what works for me.

Tenant
In response to Vae

RE: TRASH I remembered today seeing somewhere a desk-table with a 1 by 4 in slot with a trash can under the desk!!

Yesterday I did some more layouts and I am having issues with too much STUFF on my workspace. I am doing Project Life and I found this beautiful antique tray and put all my PL products in there because I don't have all my regular scrap stuff here. Anyways, I need to do something either move everything else on the table or find a place for the tray.

Maybe I will wait to decide after I get the U shape desktop completely. just thinking out loud!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to claytonrk

I have two rubbish bins under my desk; one for recycling and one for non-recycling. I have a little bucket on my desk for paper scraps that are too small to use. It's really handy having it, well, to hand.

I've done 5 LOs since this started, and I keep forgetting to fill in the form. But I haven't had any real hassle finding my things - all except for 5 photos that I have no idea where they are. How annoying is that?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-06-13 07:59 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

So - the last couple of weeks we've had the big picture windows in the living room and kitchen/dining nook replaced, which meant that all the furniture and stuff the normally sits next to the windows has been pulled away from it and the place has been a mess. Yesterday we were finally able to put it all back in place. Two of these pieces of furniture are large cabinets where we store large art books, albums, scrappy supplies, and other craft supplies. I'd always been annoyed by the cabinet where the scrappy supplies were, because it's a bit of a pain to be actively taking stuff out and putting it back when I'm scrapping. BUT, it's the only cabinet deep enough to hold 12x12 paper.

So, I played around a bit and INSPIRATION! I figured out that I can fit Cropper Hoppers in the smaller cabinet by stacking them 3 deep. When in use, I can easily turn them sideways for access, then turn them back when done and I can close the door. So now I'm in the process of reorganizing scrappy stuff into the smaller cabinet, which will be so much easier to use. I need to remember to take a pic of the new cabinet.

I need a few more Cropper Hoppers, and I am so looking forward to the upcoming weeks of this class!!

borntoscrap
Diva
borntoscrap

Hi my name is Shelley. I finally got the space assessment done. I have a few "Trouble" areas, a lot of "is ok, just needs a good sort & clean" areas & more "works well" areas then I thought I'd have.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to borntoscrap

II completed the space assessment on Friday and while discussing it with a friend, realized my main problem/hot spot is that I don't hang my embellies and bling back up on my rack when I am done. I use a binder clip system and it is difficult to get to the things in the back, so I just pile them up to be put away later. The I get a HUGE pile that I dread dealing with. In talking to my friend, I think I would be happier with a Card Catalogue drawer type cabinet that I could put them in instead of hanging them but I am out of wall space to put a cabinet.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-06-13 01:36 PM
In response to terrihooper

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading about the great thinking you all have been up to. Congratulations to those who have filled in your Space Assessment Handout and see what's up in your space!

Welcome to those who are just joining in. And a big THANK YOU to those who post; your experience and input is invaluable.

I know how creepy it can feel to create with reminders going through your head about putting things away. But, the clean up will become a habit before long and you're creative brain will settle into a place of sharing.

Week #2's email is coming tomorrow. Remember, there is no "behind" in this challenge. It's a self-paced opportunity designed to aid you in getting your studio where you want it to be.

If you need more time to resolve hot spots during some weeks, by all means, do so. There will be others posting in here for years as new people join the Challenge so, don't worry about "getting lost" or "forgotten". I thank you again for daring to be among the first through Get Organized!

I encourage you to save your incoming Get Organized emails under a "Get Organized" label in your email (in know gmail has this function). You'll know where to go for your info when ready for it.

Let's meet up in the Week #2 forum once you receive it.

Take deep breaths, often. This is fun when you let it be!

Tenant
In response to Jill

Well, I have assessed and will have to do it again when I get back with the rest on Sunday but here is what I have now.

1. Definitely need a table to sort paper when I start a layout. So I have two choices a) a small table between the two Ikeas or b) put the large table where the two Ikeas are and put one Ikea up high on the wall. Then store what I can under the table
2. Need to get all my pictures here and re-assess them.
3. Find a place for layouts in progress
4. Not liking how my stickers are stored in the large CM binder. It takes up so much space just to open it up.
5. Make more available space on workstation. Most of the stuff on it now will be distributed to other parts of the U shape workstation I want to create, hopefully....
6. Stamps, I love the Unikeep case binders but I need more of the pages and I don't like paying the price for them, need to find another solution
7. Buy new chair

Edited by claytonrk on 05-06-13 02:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to claytonrk

You know those stackable letter trays, the 3-sided office in-trays that hold letter-sized papers? Do they make those in 12"x12" size? I have 2 stacked letter-sized ones for scraps, but 12x12 stuff keeps falling out and landing on top of me. I would love 3 12"x12" trays, then I could use the bottom one for unfinished LOs rather than them taking up space on my desk.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Hi everyone!! Late to the party, but I just signed up for this class last night!! LOVE the idea of taking the time to actually figure out what works, what I like (that may or may not work!) and what is just a PIA.

I have a separate room that is mostly dedicated to my hobby, but it does have a desk with a computer on it, and a small 2 drawer file cabinet. The rest is my mess...I mean space

Anyway---looking forward to getting it all together!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

They do, Rosey!! LOVE them to sort all my 12x12 paper.

I have the lipped trays made by Display Dynamics. I have 2 stacks of them on a double rolling base. Then I have 2 smaller stacks on the floor

The lipped trays do fit 12x12 paper including the strip that you slice off. I was worried about that before I got them.

They are a little expensive, but have helped so much in organizing my paper that I actually use more of it. Before them, I'd find that "perfect" paper when looking for another piece (of course that would be AFTER I didn't need it anymore).

I was a bit lucky because I bought my first bunch (including the base) from a friend cleaning out her room, and the second bunch from a yard sale.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Kim222

Paper seems to be the least of my problem have several keepers I can keep paper in my is embellishments and stamps stamps aren't to bad they are in dvd rack and zip up binders along with a close to my heart case.

I think if I can find a place for everything and everything in it's place I would be in good shape and a bigger table I think I'll be looking at good will for a small kitchen table that I can paint and put in my room.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Jill

So I completed Week 1 during week 1, but just found these forums about ten minutes ago.

I'm from Michigan; been scrapping for about five-ish years. In a combined effort of passions (long-time shopper, first-time scrapper), my stash grew from a 12x12 box to two large drawers.... to all over DS's playroom...to the cabinet and table I have today. I'm frequently in search of meaningful organization tips and tricks.

Right now, all my hot spots can be boiled down to a severe lack of prime real estate for all my belongings. Not everything has a place; it gets squirreled away and I can't find it again. Embellishments and the multitude of completed and non-completed projects just chucked into my cabinet need to be tackled first so I actually CAN put things away.

Here's the LO I created along with my evaluation. Want a secret? I brought the page and goodies up stairs to my Living Room to complete because my craft space was stressing me out. Later on, I returned to the basement and plunked the clutter (all my new BG goodies) into a cubbie; just so I could find my table.

Swanky By MommaSaid

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
They do, Rosey!! LOVE them to sort all my 12x12 paper.

I have the lipped trays made by Display Dynamics. I have 2 stacks of them on a double rolling base. Then I have 2 smaller stacks on the floor

The lipped trays do fit 12x12 paper including the strip that you slice off. I was worried about that before I got them.

They are a little expensive, but have helped so much in organizing my paper that I actually use more of it. Before them, I'd find that "perfect" paper when looking for another piece (of course that would be AFTER I didn't need it anymore).

I was a bit lucky because I bought my first bunch (including the base) from a friend cleaning out her room, and the second bunch from a yard sale.

Thanks for the link, and the recommendation. It's always good to know about things that have worked for other people.

I've seen those available here in the UK. They are £8 PER TRAY and I need 3 (plus shipping, because they would have to be mail order). That is the cost of 2 paper stacks! I need to think about it and see where my priorities lie...

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:
Paper seems to be the least of my problem have several keepers I can keep paper in my is embellishments and stamps stamps aren't to bad they are in dvd rack and zip up binders along with a close to my heart case.

I think if I can find a place for everything and everything in it's place I would be in good shape and a bigger table I think I'll be looking at good will for a small kitchen table that I can paint and put in my room.

Good project, and well done you for identifying the problem.

Another thought - how about IKEA? Have you got one anywhere near you? I wasn't an IKEA fan until we got our big desks and they are superb. I always thought it was flimsy stuff, but these things have survived 8+ years and 4 moves across 3 continents and are back home intact.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

ok, well I finally have filled out my worksheet and figured out that some things work and some things don't work....surprising me a little....

Now on to week 2!

Sewflake
Idol
Sewflake
In response to rgridings

Did I ever find a HOT spot over the week end. One that I consistently over look!!
I have a shelf full of albums and 8, that's right, eight boxes full of finished layout not in said album!! I think I know what my goal needs to be for this week.

Tenant
In response to Sewflake

Well, I now have 95% of my scrap stuff sitting in the living room waiting to be unpacked.

Dream room on a beach in Florida, all windows yet that would be a problem BUT this is a dream room. Lots of natural light. Teal/aqua/natural tones of sand/white for fresh and clean. Ideal and electronic system that has voice commands like 'insert stamp station' and 'retract stamp station' ahhhhhh, 'insert workstation with album' ahhhh, 'retract workstation in an undisclosed & Unseen location' ahhhhh. Clutter gone just a beautiful room left and light to bask in......

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics