Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
11ROSES
Tenant
11ROSES
In response to claytonrk

Dopey me! I haven't read the first email of the class series and didn't realize this board was here. I'm in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County) and my scrap area is half of my bedroom's walk-in closet. I'll see about getting a before picture posted. I've gradually been trying to integrate some organization and have read tons of articles. However, it really is a mess.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to 11ROSES

LOL Welcome!

rahulsmom
Angel
rahulsmom
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I love to be organized & got my first lesson yesterday. To some extent some things are working for me. I have a transparent shoe holders for my punches & hangs over my bedroom door. I use my punches a lot now.
I am trying to put samples of the stamps that I have on a 8.5x11 paper & then insert into a page protector. This way I will know what I have & decide not to purchase more flower stamps than what I already have.

autumngold
Mayor
autumngold
In response to claytonrk

Hi, I'm from Maryland.

What works about my space, there is a lot of space and light, I have a large sunroom half of which is dedicated to my scrapspace so when I scrap there's a lot of natural light.

What doesn't work:
I've moved around a lot so the furniture is odds and ends which have fit in other houses. While all the light is great for scrapping, it's horrible for paper so I keep my paper in another room. Also because the room is mostly windows there is almost no wall space. I have my scrap supplies on a 4x4 Ikea expedite and a tall plastic storage cart. My desk is a 4' table and a 5' table in an L shape. Right now on my table are the seedlings, DS's homework, DS's artwork, and my recent scrap project. I have a box with completed LOs which the cat is sleeping in. DS has also decided that my scrap desk is the perfect spot for him to do his homework.

11ROSES
Tenant
11ROSES
In response to autumngold

I did my space assessment last night and like others here I found a lot of things that are working, some that just need to be tweaked, and others that just need real help. I wanted to jump right in and start rearranging but I think it might be best to wait and go through each week's lesson first; there are bound to be great ideas coming. I don't have a permanent "workspace" and don't anticipate getting one soon so I didn't choose one of the options in the email - I either use a TV tray or a collapsable table I have when working on a layout (my supplies are in my bedroom closet). I took pictures and will post them in the "before' section in the next few days.

canyonjoy
New Kid On the Block
canyonjoy
In response to Jill

Hello everyone. I just joined this adventure in organizing our scrap spaces. I have my own hobby room, and while I love the idea of calling it a studio, I'm afraid it would be too confusing as we have a studio already where we do our work. Sigh. But it's good to have a room dedicated to scrapping after being stuck in a corner of our master bedroom for too many years.

I live in the middle of nowhere Arizona (Portal). And yes, it IS hot here...but it's a dry heat.

Edited by canyonjoy on 05-26-13 09:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to Kels

I am getting started on this a little late...I just finished a major overhaul of my craft room last weekend and found this class now. Oh, well. There is always room for improvement.

We live in Maryland and I got very lucky when we bought this house. There are 2 "bedrooms" upstairs, but no door in between, so our master bedroom is on one side and I get the other, including the walk in closet.

I do have to use it for other stuff. I have a lot of hobbies (scrapbooking, quilting, cross stitch, stamp collecting, and I am working on learning Korean) which I tend to "flit" between when the mood strikes me, so they all have to fit into the one room.

I did the assessment and found that some things are working well. Much of my stuff is stored in the closet in grey tubs/caddies on wire shelves. It allows me to pull the tub out and dig through it to find what I want to play with. This method works well for me when it come to buttons, ribbons, paint, punches, etc.

Some stuff is not working so well, my paper storage/sorting, embellishments, current projects and my layout ideas/sketches. Right now, the majority of my time is spent going from pile to pile and drawer to drawer looking for the right pieces. I am looking forward to the future weeks to see some new ideas for those areas.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to Jill

Well, it doesn't look from the posts that anyone else is doing week 1 anymore, but I just received my email for it and just printed the assesment.
My name is Laura and I am from VA. and all I know is I have a very small corner in a small room that we call the office because it has our desktop PC, desk and file cabinet in the middle, my space at one end with 1 wooden shelf, a sterilite 3 drawer, 1 overhead shelf and a piece of wide board my husband put up against the wall for my workspace and a peg board above that. The other end of the room is for suitcases and other misc. storage stuff. So knowing all that, as far as my little space goes, at this point I feel none of my Organizational systems (what I have anyway are working for me, I need help badly and unfortunately on top of it all, I have a VERY tight budget, like if I am lucky about $50 a month and not every month.
Thanks to anyone that comes back and reads my rambling, lol

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to Scrap Chica

Sorry for my comment, for some reason unknown to me, i was not being able to see any posts past page 1, so I didn't think anyone had been here.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake

Laura, sure, we are still here!! I just checked in again this morning (early) and noticed people still posting there assessment info here. We are all at different levels of completion up to week 5 so be sure to watch all the threads for chatter.

There is defiantly more than 1 page of posts on this thread, maybe your PC will let you see them all when you check in again.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to Sewflake

Yep Laura, we are still checking the threads in this forum. Good news is that there are lots of ideas out there... some are pretty cheap to boot. I've made a few changes and haven't spent anything yet. It doesn't have to be an expensive storage solution for it to work.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to KatieJo

I'm still checking too Laura. Next week you get to post your "before" pictures, so that we can see your space and maybe help out a little more with suggestions. You might find that being a couple of weeks behind benefits you, because we've been through it already and have found out what works and what doesn't.

To see the next page, there ought to be an arrow pointing backwards, a 1 and a 2 just beneath where it says Previous Topic/Next Topic, above the Quick Reply box. If you don't see it, go to the Tech Support Forum and let Megan-Lisa know. She'll be able to help you.

11ROSES
Tenant
11ROSES

No worries about when you get here. I started 2-3 weeks late myself. And your monthly budget would be a dream for me. We just have to get creative in our storage containers, use dollar stores and Big Lots, garage sales, Goodwill, DIY if possible. I even keep boxes and containers like Bath & Body Works and Godiva chocolates (a company present at Christmas), things that can be reused. The main thing is to have a space that functions for us, and how we get there will be different for everyone.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to 11ROSES

Thank you for all the support ladies! It is greatly appreciated, I finished my assesment sheet this evening and am really discouraged now, lol, not sure how many things there were total but I know I only said No to the needing help on about 7-9 things, so that is alot that is wrong, no wonder I have o mojo and haven't scrapped in a year. Not sure am I suppose to list all the things that didn't work for me here or what?

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

Don't be discouraged! It will all get better throughout the course. We are here to support you, be a sounding board for you to bounce ideas off of, and give you suggestions if needed! Remember, we are all scrappy sisters here!

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to rgridings

Thanks so much for that, it really means alot, I just feel overwhelmed right now, my space is so small with soo many problems and hot spots, I know that I will have to buy things for me to be able to get organized the way I want and I am on such a tight budget, I just don't see how it will happen, my problem isn't necessarily too much stuff like alot of you have, I don't think I have many supplies at all, but it's getting them organized and to the point where they are more accesible to me. I guess I will go ahead and take pics so you guys can see even though I haven't reached my 2nd week to get the next email, maybe it will help for me to do that.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

Believe me, I know what it is like feeling overwhelmed. We recently made a military move from Texas, where we had a huge 1 car garage that I had laid down indoor/outdoor carpet in and used that as my scrap room, sewing room, and the kid's craft area, to Washington, where we moved to a apartment. We now have no extra room, so I am "sharing" the Dining room as my scrap space. My sewing machine is put up in my bedroom closet right now cause I have no where to keep it out and all of the kid's craft items are in my DD's closet for storage, if they want to do something, they need to bring it out to the dining room table...... so I really know your feeling of being overwhelmed.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake
In response to KatieJo

• KatieJo Said:
Yep Laura, we are still checking the threads in this forum. Good news is that there are lots of ideas out there... some are pretty cheap to boot. I've made a few changes and haven't spent anything yet. It doesn't have to be an expensive storage solution for it to work.

I'm with KatieJo, I have made a number of changes and have spent $15 for several Cropper Hoppers during the Memorial Day sales. I have made space in my room for more organized supplies with plenty of empty storage containers. I do need to purchase a couple of new scrap paper holders as the ones I am using are wearing out.

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to Sewflake

I haven't spent any money.. with the 3rd child getting close to college while the other 2 are still there spending money on storage seems a little silly. Use what you have, there are so many creative and "free" ideas for storage here it will amaze you!

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to dabnat

My long-time goal for this whole thing is to use what I have before I buy anything!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics