Page 6 of 10 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to mrsrogers52513

Hi Heather!

Maybe you can use your cute kleenex box as storage (assuming you've already used the tissues in it of course) for storage for your odds and ends like those bits of paper and scraps of ribbon. I find things like that and save them too. If I organize them though, I actually do get them used.

So welcome!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to KatieJo

Got slightly more organized today! Theres not stuff laying all over the floor anymore! I have a cart with drawers I need to put together yet. I also need to buy a few cropper hoppers and some paper storage and storage for my Copics on Friday when I take a little road shopping trip

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Hello everyone!
I just started this class in hopes of being able to revamp my crafting area so that I can move around in my studio and be able to make some projects while healing from a broken foot.

When I started scrapping again in 2008, I was just doing cards and some small paper projects. But now after watching everyone on the web and seeing everyone's work on different sites, I want to learn to do everything especially albums and decorative items.

So the things that I bought in the beginning aren't necessarily working for me anymore and I am sorting through things to get rid of and trying to make room for the things I need to do what I want to do.

I recently broke my foot so I have limited mobility and I will probably have to have surgery after this part of the foot heals. So I have lots of time for planning at the moment.

Also, I know that at some point within the next year, I will be moving to another state where I will be able to design and build my dream studio so this class will be doubly beneficial.

I am also a Porcelain Doll Artisan and avid fashion knitter so my studio has many purposes - another challenge here in Colorado where I am currently living with my husband who has frontal lobe dementia from being hit by a drunk driver 2 years ago.

We have good days and not so good days but I try to make the best of the time we have left together.

Hope to meet the rest of you soon,
Cherlyn

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to OnePaperSnip

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your foot, hope it feels better soon! Happy to hear you'll be able to have a dream studio!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Welcome Cherlyn! This class is great fun and really shed light on how I thought I did things as opposed to how I really do them. And points out better ways. It's great!

New Kid On the Block

Thanks for your kind reply. I am really looking forward to making changes upstairs in my studio! I have so many projects I want to make - there are so many talented paper artists out there.

Cherlyn

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I am already seeing that I should dedicate a spot if I can to making a cutting area with the paper supply very close at hand...

Lots to think about! Any pointers, organizers?

Cherlyn

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 08-17-13 12:10 AM
In response to OnePaperSnip

Welcome to all of our newbies; it's so nice to have you here.

We have participants at every stage of the challenge process now. We're half-way through on the weekly emails (from when the class first began) and I'm getting some fun emails.

There are a few who began the class the day it launched. They identified their problem areas, read ahead in the weekly emails to find solutions, made the changes and they're finished. They didn't revamp their studios because they didn't need to.

The majority of the emails are from those who are still immersed in addressing every inch of their studios. They're working at their own pace, learning, extracting and thinking through each phase. They've found out how they "really" work and are making changes--and progressing.

What's the key to success in your studio once your discover the weak links? Keep working. Keep going. Yep, even on discouraging days, or during those weeks where you don't have time to do anything. Just do one thing. You can do this and it's so worth the effort.

There were weeks when I'd have to say,"Okay, I don't have time, but I can set a timer for 10 minutes a day and work until it rings." And there were days when I'd walk in my studio-in-process and want to walk out. Instead of giving up I'd say, "Just pick up 25 items and put them away." I usually ended up doing a whole lot more than 25 and feeling so much better.

I'm so proud of all of you! WAY TO GO!

Remember: Love yourself enough...to love yourself where you're at.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Jill

Before I started this course, I was doing a lot of organizing by moving things from one pile to another, and felt like I was making progress. I asked my husband if the area looked better, and he looked at me like I was insane and said "really? really? there's still ******** everywhere!" BTW, I did have a discussion with him and told him it wasn't ********, he promised he would stop saying that...lol. I've now got things organized better, and some things on the side that I need to get a storage container or bins or whatever for them, but I really feel like I'm making progress!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

oops, guess I can't say [email protected]

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Amanda!

My man doesn't see the tidiness of the um... "stuff", only the stuff. And the lack of desk showing through it all.

Mind you, this is the man who tidied his own desk last weekend for the first time since we moved back into the house last May. I came home and he led me into the room and proudly showed me his handiwork. My response? "Where IS everything? Are you leaving me?"

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

ahhaaaha...that's funny! I organized the best I could over the weekend and was super excited, and I showed him. And I'm like "do you like it? isn't it pretty? are you excited?" He told me he was excited and I asked him why, and he said "I don't know...because your excited and now you can play in glitter?" He just doesn't get it...lol

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I think he "gets it" perfectly Amanda!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Then he says "when did you get so much stuff, it's like it keeps multiplying." He doesn't realize it actually IS multiplying. I told him that now that it's organized it just looks like more stuff. haha. But I say that I work hard for my money. And I work hard so he doesn't have to. He has quite a few health issues, and it's just easier for me to work and let him stay home and try to rest until we figure out whats going on. So I deserve whatever stuff I wanna get. And I don't think he wants to hear numbers. lol

weaselwise
New Kid On the Block
weaselwise
In response to Jill

Hi, I'm Weasel and from Southend in the UK... just found this class and it's just at the right time, as my friend is re-building and re-designing my crafting area in my lounge for me!

I had a small desk squished in between a bookshelf and a window, not very deep and not very wide but I could at least get a small cutting mat and a piece of 12x12 on it... but it got cluttered up with "stuff" so I had to move onto a folding table which also got cluttered up with "stuff"...

Now I have a worktop that is 'L' shaped and about twice the size of the old desk. However there is still a lot more my friend has to do so a lot of my stuff is boxed up or crammed into loose bookshelves and a couple of old display units.

These units and shelves are going to be moved out and custom shelving built into the space, I can then sort out everything into a logical order and put "like with like" ... this is where the space assessment handout will come in handy so I can see what I have got where and try and corral everything together.

Thanks for the support - I'm going to read each weeks thread after I get that weeks email so its not quite so daunting to catch up on so many postings - but am looking forward to the journey!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to weaselwise

Welcome Weasel! I'm Squirrel (Rosey actually) and I'm in the UK too, near Bristol.

How lovely to have a friend to build you a crafting area! My DH put shelves in for me, above my desk in the study - they are a lifesaver. When you get a chance, post some before and after photos in your Gallery so we (and you!) can see how it's all progressing?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I need shelves. I have so many good ideas, but they all have to wait until we move. Poo.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Jill

Just dreaming here, but...

Does anyone remember from days long ago or old movies seeing those bed folding down out of the walls? I was thinking how cool that would be to have something like that only with a craft table or storage supplies.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 09-28-13 11:15 AM
In response to Lauri D

Yes, I remember Murphy Beds--such a good solution for sleeping. We just had fun and new storage furniture arrive in the warehouse. There is an over the door craft armoire by Jinger Adams that is like an ironing board cabinet. Another looks like a chalkboard frame on the wall that opens up to be a work space (chalkboard becomes the brace) and compartments in the space that attaches to the wall. Both are like the Murphy Bed concept but obviously more compact. You know how some homes have a desk area in a wide hall? If you are handy or know someone who is the over-the-door units could line a hallway opposite a desk.
Products Referenced in This Post:

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to Jill

I just started and already my head is overwhelmed. I have such a very small space in our bedroom because our son moved back home. I am just figuring out how I want to do this. I've gotten emails up to week 5 and am still trying to work on week 1. I just figured I'd print out the emails as they come and then go at my own pace. I haven't been able to really get to my layouts because our son has been in the hospital for over a week so hopefully when he gets home, I'll have some time. I take these emails with me to the hospital just so I can envision where I want to go with this organization.

Page 6 of 10 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics