Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 4: Cardstock and Paper        (Topic#1587227)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 04-22-13 09:48 AM

Will your paper supply wallpaper the entire Smithsonian?

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Kels

I got my email earlier, but luckily for me, my paper is all good. I have it stored in craft carts from the container store. I like them because the "drawers" have lids and keep my paper dust free. It is also all sorted by color!

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to rgridings

Email arrived right on time.

My CS and PPs are all organized also. CS and individual PPs are stored in a metal vertical tower and "stacks or pads" are stored on a horizontal shelf standing on edge. I am satisfied with this for now.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to rockmom

E-mail received - thanks! I've just read through it.

I have a question. If I separate my card-stock stacks into ROYBGIV, it won't work for my monthly crops when I have to grab a stack to pack. How do you people manage with crops? Just prepare page kits?

I'm not very good at page kits. When I go to use them, I always have a better idea, or wish I'd chosen a different colour, or remember a perfect paper that I haven't included in it.

My paper and card-stock is pretty organised, I just don't have the containers and proper space. Should I wait until the Kits section in Week 8 before I make changes?

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to RedSquirrel

My paper is a mess. I have to figure out how most people sort paper, since I share my room with so many on a weekly basis. Tonight is club night so I guess I will take everyone's opinion and go from there.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to dabnat

Most of my paper is already organized Roy G Biv; cs and pp combined. It's working for me. The only paper I've separated for theme is Christmas/winter. Mainly, that's because I have YET to complete my December Daily from 2012.

The only time I have an issue is when I'm digging through for the right pattern in X color.... only to see the flip side of my pp would have worked perfectly on another project if only I had seen it when I needed it! I was hoping to find a fix for that. Admittedly, I scanned the email at first, so I'll go back and read again. However, it's stopped me from sorting the paper I've acquired in the past couple months. I'm afraid I'll lose it again.

For now, I'll suck it up, re-read for this week and get going on sorting what's out.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to MommaSaid

I am pretty happy with my paper storage, but I have discovered that how it is sorted is a problem, I have discovered I scrap more by color and right now I store by manufacturer. I still plan on keeping some lines together but most pps I think I want to store by color.

I plan on sorting by the most prominent color on the page (for double sided going off my favorite side if I don't have two pieces) but some have several colors that could be the most dominant color. So my question is For those who already sort that way, how do you sort pps that have several colors that it could be stored under?

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to MommaSaid

I read ahead (at beginning of the week for current week) as I don't get the emails until Friday night. I'm not working ahead as I can't keep at it long before my work table calls to me and I start scrapping, then I read with my left brain, while my right side brain ponders where/what my scrap page needs next. Besides, my back has gotten very sore after spending a whole day at the kitchen table working with my DGD on a school project.

Not that you need to know all that just to lean that my paper is half and half......half messy and half organized. My card stock is horizontal by color, while my PP is vertical by theme, like brights, girly, manly, texture, heritage...., I know by the way I label it what colors and styles will be in there. The papers I do have organized have been working well for me when it comes time to pull for a layout. Of course I do come across a paper that I forgot I had or think, wow, that will work perfectly for......

I have several areas of paper that need to be sorted and put in their proper place, some of it is very new the other is very old. I also started a recycle pile that I will give away.

Back to the stacks!

Edited by Sewflake on 05-22-13 08:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to dabnat

Since I am just unpacking my stuff after three years being boxed up. I am still going to use my CH's BUT not have them lined up along a long table I had purchased some Ikea Expedits in the birch tone and the plastic CH's were a turn OFF.

So, I did what Jill did and spray painted them black (special paint for plastic.) I have ten of them done at a cost of 20.00, but I am off to get more paint to finish. I am trying to think ahead when I purchase or paint as to how I want the room to look. I have two sets of black clothed file drawers and I needed more black for accent

Then find some bookplates.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to claytonrk

I really like my patterned paper storage. I keep most of it in file cart. Mostly, it is sorted by color with random themes thrown in.

I also have a few Art Bin Super Satchels in which I store a few select collections that I am planning to use on specific projects.

I do think my pp could stand a bit of purging and switching around but the overall system is great. When I scrap I can take a whole file folder out and search through it until I find the sheet I want and easily return what I don't use for later. That works nicely.

Unfortunately, my cardstock doesn't work for me nearly as well. Most of it is currently in three cute green magazine holders. There are stacks elsewhere though. I like the look and the location (on my big bookshelf) but I don't like the fact that pulling a sheet out and then trying to put it back in when I decide I don't like it) is a hassle.

And although I like them, I don't think I can locate any more space for another file holder either. I even contemplated using portable ones. I don't think expanding folders will hold enough, and the I don't like paper towers because of the bottom of the stack issue. So, I am kind of stuck. They don't make the green magazine holders (I think they were We R Memory Keepers - or something like that.) any more (of course I want the holders to all match) and I can't seem to find anything big enough that isn't plastic. I really don't want to go with that look for this area.

I am beginning to think that I either should invest in different magazine holders (and just deal with the disparity in appearance) or maybe I can find a pretty basket or box that is the right size. I don't know. I guess I am stuck on this project.... for the time being.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Most of my paper is already organized Roy G Biv; cs and pp combined. It's working for me. The only paper I've separated for theme is Christmas/winter. Mainly, that's because I have YET to complete my December Daily from 2012.

The only time I have an issue is when I'm digging through for the right pattern in X color.... only to see the flip side of my pp would have worked perfectly on another project if only I had seen it when I needed it! I was hoping to find a fix for that. Admittedly, I scanned the email at first, so I'll go back and read again. However, it's stopped me from sorting the paper I've acquired in the past couple months. I'm afraid I'll lose it again.

For now, I'll suck it up, re-read for this week and get going on sorting what's out.

^^ That. I never know with double-sided paper how to store it. I've seen some people say to sort it by the dominant side, but it's nearly always the plainer side that I miss, that I would use. I'm not a big pattern girl.

All my paper is stored by collection pack, except for three bags of single sheets. One of those is Christmas, one is ROYGBIV by dominant colour, and the third is for those patterns that don't have a dominant colour, or picture papers.

That works except that I forget to look in the bag of single sheets.

Maybe my system is not so bad after all. Maybe it just needs tidying up and one more box so that it isn't all jammed in together.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-22-13 01:44 PM
In response to RedSquirrel

I'm good with my 12x12 - Cropper Hoppers, patterns by theme, everything else in ROYGBIV order. But what do you all do about 8x8, 6x6, and other small pads and specialty papers?

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to stick

I have 3 of those decorative photos boxes that hold my 6x6 paper pads. What didn't fit I in those boxes gave to my DIL. I bought a half dozen 8x8 pads a few years back and find I didn't use them as often as I thought I would. They will probably go to my DIL soon.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to stick

I haven't found a good way for patterned paper right now it's sorted into lines. Card stock is all in color order

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa
In response to Sneezy1956

I currently have a 1-cube Expedit (the wall shelf which I put on the floor in the corner next to me) with one box and all my papers and cardstock inside (as seen on the left on the pic of my scrap space).

The problems are:
- the box is really heavy, so either I take it completely out to grab the paper (and then it stays next to the cube, on the floor), or I take it out as much as possible to grab paper without damaging it (doesn't always work). At the moment the box sits next to the cube which bothers me (I bought the cube afterwards so that the box wouldn't be out in the open) and it's right behind my chair so I keep rolling back into it.
- the box is only half full (I don't have that much paper/cardstock) and the thinner packs are "bent" because they have too much space. I put most of my pp in a plastic bag, that stack is big enough not to bend, but the rest does, especially when the paper is thin.
- the other half of the box is mostly empty: only my 2 AC knock outs value kits to avoid the papers sliding and bending too much, but I would prefer to have them with my other punches.

I thought about removing the box entirely and use the Cropper Hopper system instead (easier to take out one holder/pouch at a time), but I have some questions.
- Do the holders/pouches go into an Expedit cube? I think I read somewhere that they were a bit too high and had to be cut a little.
- Can you use only the pouches with dividers, or do the pouches have to be in a paper holder so they hold better? I thought of buying a value pack with 1 holder and 4 pouches, that should be enough for everything (I have about 120 cardstock and 250 patterned papers). I would put my cardstock and Christmas paper in the holder, and divide the patterned paper into the pouches (by brand). Or just use pouches for everything.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your feedback

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to vanilaa

Vanilaa -

I don't have the Cropper Hopper storage system but it seems there is a new style of paper holder out that does fit into the Expedit (or so the product page here says). However, when I checked out the value pack (the paper holder and the pouches and dividers set) they seem to be the older style still. I don't know if the company is planning to make the paper pouches in the new size or not.

I have seen photos somewhere (in my internet searching) of someone using just the paper pouches and saying that they absolutely loved them. Of course if they don't fit your shelf, that won't help you much.

I have included product page links to both the new paper holder and dividers and the older system. You can see that the top is at a different level (lower) in comparison to the paper inside. In addition there seem to be some nice extra finger holds in the newer version for removing the paper holder from the shelf.

Hope that helps some... and that someone with more experience with this product can help with any other answers. Hope you find something that works better in any case.

P.S. I was thinking a box might be nice for storing my cardstock, and now you've got me rethinking it again.

Edited by KatieJo on 05-23-13 01:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to vanilaa

Oh... how about a letter sorter or dishwashing rack sort of thing for smaller paper packs?... I suppose it would depend on how many a person has but it was just another idea. I have definitely been thinking out of the box in the storage area lately.

Of course in this case Sewflake's in the box(es) idea sounds good too.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to KatieJo

vanilaa I've heard the cropper hoppers will fit the expedite but only just, the shelf height is 13" and the cropper hopper file folder is 13". So with the tabbed dividers it might be an issue.

I sorted through my patterned paper today-only purged 10 sheets! I feel like I should do more, but I really didn't see much I didn't still really like. So now my patterned paper is sorted by color in two of the stacking 3 drawer bins from target. I also sorted out certain themes (baby, holidays, animals, seasons etc) which will go in cropper hoppers I purchased to keep in my closet since I don't access those papers as much.

Cardstock will be going on a slat wall as soon as it is put up in my room so for now that is just living in a pile until it is up.

Having problems figuring out what to do with my 8x8 paper pads, but I'm sure some idea will surface!

So now it is back to clearing the room out and getting ready to paint! But I know exactly where paper will live once I am ready to start putting things back in my room

Tenant
In response to MrsAnnieS

KatieJo, I really don't think you can tell from the picture. If you are still considering them I would go to a store with a tape measure (I keep one on my key ring) and measure. I hope you find a solution.

Tenant
In response to claytonrk

Vanilaa, Yes the 1/2in pouch can be used by itself BUT it won't stand by itself. You need something to brace your paper, a bookend like thing. I too would not like my paper on the floor so I understand, is there anything you can put it up on or attach to a wall?

The "new" CH do fit into the Expedit when in doubt measure.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics