Page 2 of 4 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 4: Cardstock and Paper        (Topic#1587227)
Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to claytonrk

Wow, sorting paper is turning out to be a much bigger job than I had anticipated!! I didn't realize all the little nooks and cubbies I had 8.5x11 papers stored. I am making room in a 4 drawer filing cabinet so at least all my 8x11 papers will be organized into one spot.

12x12 papers are coming along slowly as I had a portion of those organized already and I can still scrap. I will need a few more cropper hoppers, or something similar, to store the 12x12 in a book shelf, that is after I find a new home for the bins of stamps that I have not used this year. A new home within my home for the stamps. Lets not talk about the SU stamps in my bedroom closet that have not seen the light of day for 2 or 3 years. It looks like there is more purging ahead for me!! Lucky DIL! And she will sell on ebay what she does not want.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • MommaSaid Said:
Most of my paper is already organized Roy G Biv; cs and pp combined. It's working for me. The only paper I've separated for theme is Christmas/winter. Mainly, that's because I have YET to complete my December Daily from 2012.

The only time I have an issue is when I'm digging through for the right pattern in X color.... only to see the flip side of my pp would have worked perfectly on another project if only I had seen it when I needed it! I was hoping to find a fix for that. Admittedly, I scanned the email at first, so I'll go back and read again. However, it's stopped me from sorting the paper I've acquired in the past couple months. I'm afraid I'll lose it again.

For now, I'll suck it up, re-read for this week and get going on sorting what's out.

^^ That. I never know with double-sided paper how to store it. I've seen some people say to sort it by the dominant side, but it's nearly always the plainer side that I miss, that I would use. I'm not a big pattern girl.

All my paper is stored by collection pack, except for three bags of single sheets. One of those is Christmas, one is ROYGBIV by dominant colour, and the third is for those patterns that don't have a dominant colour, or picture papers.

That works except that I forget to look in the bag of single sheets.

Maybe my system is not so bad after all. Maybe it just needs tidying up and one more box so that it isn't all jammed in together.

I'm considering ignoring most patterns, now. I told DH last night that there are some patterns in my stash that just make me angry. Some companies shall remain nameless, but their ideas of what makes for a good striped paper -- and dotted -- just don't make sense to me. I like my stripes to stick to solid colors; NOT pattern strips. Those, and REALLY tiny dots, make my eyes hurt, and sometimes nauseate me. However, the solids on the other sides work well and make me happy.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to MommaSaid

Yes, Claytonrk is probably right about the best thing being to measure. But, the only pouches I could find in a store (yes, I've looked at them) were in a box unassembled. I bet someone here would know and be willing to measure if asked. I am pretty sure customer service would be happy enough to do so if asked nicely. They are pretty good like that.

And she is right too about the pouches needing support. I forgot about that. That one image I mentioned seeing did indeed show the use of a metal bookend or something of that sort. I have so many of those floating around my shelves that I forget that not everyone does.

And Momma Said I am so surprised at you... being prejudiced against tiny dotted paper. I am sort of drawn to all polka dotted paper. Since you say the little ones are making you ill, I am now wondering however, if there is just some sort of hypnotizing effect going on causing me to like them and you to feel woozy.

And Mrs Annie S and Sewflake great to hear that you are some progress on your paper stashes!

Hope my chattiness doesn't offend anyone. Just trying to get some conversation so I can here all the great ideas. And find the one I like best for scattered cardstock stash... still a lot stuck on it....

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to vanilaa

• vanilaa Said:
I currently have a 1-cube Expedit (the wall shelf which I put on the floor in the corner next to me) with one box and all my papers and cardstock inside (as seen on the left on the pic of my scrap space).

The problems are:
- the box is really heavy, so either I take it completely out to grab the paper (and then it stays next to the cube, on the floor), or I take it out as much as possible to grab paper without damaging it (doesn't always work). At the moment the box sits next to the cube which bothers me (I bought the cube afterwards so that the box wouldn't be out in the open) and it's right behind my chair so I keep rolling back into it.
- the box is only half full (I don't have that much paper/cardstock) and the thinner packs are "bent" because they have too much space. I put most of my pp in a plastic bag, that stack is big enough not to bend, but the rest does, especially when the paper is thin.
- the other half of the box is mostly empty: only my 2 AC knock outs value kits to avoid the papers sliding and bending too much, but I would prefer to have them with my other punches.

I thought about removing the box entirely and use the Cropper Hopper system instead (easier to take out one holder/pouch at a time), but I have some questions.
- Do the holders/pouches go into an Expedit cube? I think I read somewhere that they were a bit too high and had to be cut a little.
- Can you use only the pouches with dividers, or do the pouches have to be in a paper holder so they hold better? I thought of buying a value pack with 1 holder and 4 pouches, that should be enough for everything (I have about 120 cardstock and 250 patterned papers). I would put my cardstock and Christmas paper in the holder, and divide the patterned paper into the pouches (by brand). Or just use pouches for everything.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your feedback

I had all of the old cropper hoppers and I had to cut down my hoppers to fit in my expidit. I have all of my cardstock in them.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to KatieJo

• KatieJo Said:
Yes, Claytonrk is probably right about the best thing being to measure. But, the only pouches I could find in a store (yes, I've looked at them) were in a box unassembled. I bet someone here would know and be willing to measure if asked. I am pretty sure customer service would be happy enough to do so if asked nicely. They are pretty good like that.

And she is right too about the pouches needing support. I forgot about that. That one image I mentioned seeing did indeed show the use of a metal bookend or something of that sort. I have so many of those floating around my shelves that I forget that not everyone does.

And Momma Said I am so surprised at you... being prejudiced against tiny dotted paper. I am sort of drawn to all polka dotted paper. Since you say the little ones are making you ill, I am now wondering however, if there is just some sort of hypnotizing effect going on causing me to like them and you to feel woozy.

And Mrs Annie S and Sewflake great to hear that you are some progress on your paper stashes!

Hope my chattiness doesn't offend anyone. Just trying to get some conversation so I can here all the great ideas. And find the one I like best for scattered cardstock stash... still a lot stuck on it....

Haha! My eyes have been impacted negatively by a combination of mean meds and late night screen staring. On a bad day, I can't even watch my son go off to school, if he chose a bright red shirt.... or any bright colors/stripes/etc.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to MommaSaid

Hmm, in the process of organizing all my paper, I took on the personality of my six-year-old son. I pulled out three sheets that could work with a set of photos I'd been holding onto. Now I'm scrapping instead of organizing. Ack! LOL!

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to MommaSaid

I have all of my paper sorted, all I need now is some organizers to put it in. Guess I will head out to the store with all of the Memorial Day sales going on to see what I can find.

I did learn a couple of things while sorting, 1. I have more Christmas paper than I have Christmas pictures. 2. Green is the main solid color I purchase then don't use! Wonder if I was saving it for all that Christmas paper??

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

PS Anne, thats when I get my best scrapping ideas...when I'm suppose to be doing something else.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Sewflake

Anne, I definitely wouldn't feel bad at all about scrapping instead of organizing... I think the whole point of this was to set us up so that we could and would scrap more. And you'll probably get it pretty organized eventually.

Edited by KatieJo on 05-27-13 07:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-27-13 07:31 PM
In response to KatieJo

I stayed sane during all of the organizing by scrapping layouts (while sitting at the kitchen table). I'd get relaxed, recharged and then get back to work.

My 6x6 and 8x8 paper (and packs) are in a fabric bin on the shelf with all of my embellishment bins. I think these paper sizes were the most frustrating supplies to find a storage solution for. I'm serious, and so interested in what you all find.

If you're into vintage storage I tried an old bread box (the kind with the hinged lid on the top) and it worked, though I didn't end up using it because of limited wall space. It would be fun so see one hanging on the wall--screwed to the wall with screws through the bottom so the lid would swing down when opened up.

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa
In response to Jill

Thank you so much everyone for your answers and help! I bought paper pouches yesterday and will give them a go. If they don't fit the Expedit, I can store the pouches on another shelf (where my 8.5x11 cardstock is) or cut them a little. I'm really excited to try them!
I'll use a basket with my 6x6 pads or my BIA as book end. If it doesn't work, I'll rearrange a bit, I have another spot where they could fit.
Thanks again for your help!

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to vanilaa

Okay call me crazy...after I realized how much of a Paper mess I really had...I couldn't go in the studio without wanting to tear it apart. So I did to an extent. I took every piece of paper out of my scrap room, including all scraps and put them in the middle of the living room floor. Found some cardboard boxes that I could cut to resemble the cropper hopper and started sorting by ROY G BIV and a few extra categories, glitter paper, sheet protectors, etc. Then I had to call in the reinforcements (my mother) and by the end of the day my aunt too. We worked for two days on this...didn't realize how much paper we really have. I am afraid my family might turn me over to a hoarders TV show soon. A few more tweeks to the paper wall tonight and I will post a new photo. I appreciate all the great ideas everyone is posting in here, it helped and inspired me!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to dabnat

I'm happy to say all of my paper is sorted and stored! I'm searching for the perfect basket for my 8x8 and 6x6 pads but I know where they will be stored when I am ready to move back into my studio! Right now almost all of my room is pulled out and sorted I just have two more pieces of furniture to move but need DH's help for that. But for now two walls are painted and the rest should be done tonight! I'm hoping Thursday I can start moving furniture and paper back in and I will be all caught up to this week! Super excited to really get moving on this project finally!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to MrsAnnieS

Ooooh! Great to hear about the progress being made!

I spent some of today working on my stamp inventory. I'm still stuck on cardstock sorting until I find the right storage pieces.

lakauai
Resident
lakauai
In response to Kels

I posted my paper storage in another forum a while ago, but thought I'd add it here too because it works so well for me, is cheap and easy to replicate!
My 12x12 paper is stored in old USPS postal boxes. I covered the fronts of the boxes with cute scrapbook paper and added labels. The cardstock is sorted by color. Patterned paper was a little harder for me to sort. Some of it I sorted by manufacturer, because to me, some manufacturers just have a distinct style and I will pull it for a particular layout I have in mind. Other patterned paper is sorted by theme and/or color. I also have 8.5x11 cardstock in a file cabinet. Smaller cardstock packs, like 6x6 or 8x8 and some mat stacks are in photo boxes. Here's a photo of my 12x12 storage.

You can see more details on my blog:
Lakauai.com

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to claytonrk

While we were living in our trailer I loaned my paper shelf to a friend I get it back tomorrow. So I will be sorting my paper again. i can't wait.... It is so nice having the shelves. I got them from a scrap booking store.

11ROSES
New Kid On the Block
11ROSES
In response to Kels

I just finished reading the week 4 email and perusing this forum thread for eveyone's input. I don't have a lot of paper to sort through, it's just that I keep scraps with it in "page planner" thingies. I don't have any other storage for paper yet so I'm hesitant to even start.

I think I have some boxes I can at least separate the scraps by size, then I can always keep the 12x12 paper in the current holders until I can move it permanently. There are several really good ideas here and in the email so it will just be a matter of making a decision and looking at the budget.

My 8x8 and 6x6 pads are currently in a basket. That works ok for now, not ideal, and I want to change the location. I like the idea of a metal or wire letter sorter for those, sounds like it would work very well.

I'll post again after the big sort, which should be done over the weekend.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to 11ROSES

I've sorted my paper! That feels sooooooo good.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Yay Rosie!

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Kels

No my paper and cardstock won't wallpaper the whole Smithsonian but it might do a good start.....

I did a purge a while back and got rid of alot of my paper.

I gave 3 iris paper containers full to my daughter and another good size stack to a friend. I still have a bunch.... I really didn't think I had that much left but as I am standing in my craft room sorting all the paper I am finding I stilll have a ton....

I love paper and with the cricut I know I will go through a lot of paper. I have gone through alot since Christmas. I thought I had used more then I have though.

Page 2 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics