Username Post: Mounting collage/mosaics on wood        (Topic#1587359)
New Kid On the Block

Hello all, I am trying to make paper mosaics and collages on wood paneling (mdf, masonite, or plywood) but, am not sure what the best process would be. I have been using regular acrylic paint on drawing paper and gluing onto paper board but, it does not have the professional look I want. This is what I have so far. Any input would be fantastic.

1) Using acrylic paints I color acrylic paper or drawing paper (It does warp but, since I make small pieces it is not on issue) to make the individual pieces.

2) Using Acrylic gel I adhere the individual pieces to paper board.

3) Using the acrylic gel I adhere each paper board panel to a larger panel of wood be it masonite, MDF, plywood.

4) Varnish the finished piece.

Now, since I am gluing paper to the wood board does it really matter what type of wood I use?

Also, can/should I apply an extra coat of gel on top of the finished piece (mosaic or collage) to make sure it stays adhered before varnishing or is the varnish enough.

Thanks

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to lucas24

I don't think it really matters what type of wood you use and I'm not sure I can think of an instance where it would matter - other than for indoor vs outdoor use.

As for the extra coat of gel, of course you CAN add it; however, I would think the varnish is enough.

Depends upon the layer of protection you're looking for, I guess.

Welcome to the neighborhood and good luck with your project!! I'd love to see it when you're done

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics