Username Post: FABRIC RICKRACK        (Topic#1587369)
dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson

Hello -

I searched Rickrack and see that some of you have used it on your projects/sb pages.

I've been buying it at thrift stores when it comes in a color I like with the intention of using it on my sb pages. Some of it is VERY OLD. I opened one package and it said "new things to make in 1971!"

Anyway, has anyone used fabric rickrack and do you think it is safe to use or should I spray it with something first.

I seemed to remember that I should use Archival Mist but I can't find it anywhere so I think I must have the wrong name...?

Thanks for the help! Dori

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dlanvinson

There is a product called Archival Mist - at least there used to be, it might be discontinued now but there are similar products - but I think most of us just use fabric and ribbon as they are without spraying them with anything.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to aquabunny

I use the rickrack and ribbon without spraying as well. So much of it is sold in the scrapbooking areas of the big box stores anymore too.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrapchica

My understanding is that fabric is acid-free and is safe to use with photos.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-25-13 05:38 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

Is this the kind of think that you can test with a PH pen? I think most new fabric is safe to use, but I think Dori is more concerned about the stuff from the 70s and I think it's good to be cautious about it. But I don't know if those testing pens would work on fabric. Does anyone know?

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to Vae

@Vae - Yes, the usability of the Older rickrack was my main concern. I could get a ph pen and try it if you think that would work. ??

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Good point about the pH pen. Hang on, let me go and check. I was just gifted some ivory wedding ribbon from... ooh I'd say the '60s!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to RedSquirrel

Well poo. I wrote a big old post about my findings, and it vanished into the ether. Grr.

Basically I tried my pH pen on my lovely ivory wedding flower trim that the old lady down the road gave me, and it was so NOT acid-free.

But then I tried my pen on all the other white stuff in my ribbon'n'fibres box (lace, ribbon, string, baker's twine, raffia) and I didn't get a purple reading on any of it. Even things I'd got in a scrap-book shop and know should have been acid-free. So maybe the pen doesn't work on fabric?

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 04-28-13 03:20 PM

If your uncertain just make sure it doesn't touch your photos and you should be ok.HTH

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to Bev1

thanks Bev1! That does help. I'll just be sure to not have it touch the photo's. I'm sure the newer stuff I have is fine but the older stuff concerned me.

Thanks Everyone!! Dori

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Am I missing something here?

It's FABRIC, right? How does it look now? Has it discolored? Is it brittle? Has it damaged the package it was in?

If it hasn't deteriorated in the 40+ years since it was manufactured, I would assume it's not going to harm your scrapbook pages.

On a slightly related note: If you use something highly acidic on your scrapbook page, it doesn't matter if it TOUCHES the photo or not! The acid WILL leach and travel. It may take longer to damage the photos, but it still will.

This seems to be a myth that is perpetuated --- 'it's okay as long as it doesn't touch your photo.' NO!

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to Bxr-Linda

No, nothing wrong with it that I can tell - it looks just like all the other newer rick rack I have so it must be fine. Thanks!

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain

I have rickrack from the 50's, 60's and 70's and I have used them in layouts and after 10 years they are still looking like they are new

Happy creating
Dori

JL56 
Tenant
  • JL56 on 04-30-13 07:11 AM
In response to dorichatelain

I hace used ric rac from the 70's and had no problems.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to JL56

I have used ric rac and I haven't had any problems I love playing around with it on my pages!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to thehappyscrapper8

So I guess what we've learned from this is that fabric probably IS OK to use on LOs, but the pH tester pen doesn't work on fabric.

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Ok, I have used the fabric rickrack as a border on my son's prom page BUT I'm not sure I like the colors that I chose. I'm leaving it though just to see if the rr stays on with the glue dots I used so its kind of a tester page.

And, my son told me that he hopes the RR dOES ruin it because he does not like that girl anyway. SO.....I guess we'll see how it looks in 10 years because I am NOT to display that page as I do the others I make.

Kids!! : )

scrapmomof4
Pro
scrapmomof4

I've been using ric rac for yrs and never thought about what it was made of before reading this post.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics